USA Boarder Control

No interest in visiting LOTFAP*

I understand as well that there have been some problems with some of Australian passports which were issued in the second half of last year and into the first month of this. Posters on a frequent flyer board I belong to have posted that some Australians have been detained for up to an hour for their passports to be checked. According to one poster they were told that there had been a glitch in the passports. Some people had been in and out many times on their old passport but were stopped when they first tried to enter using the new one.

*Land of the free and paranoid

Edited by Aussieflyer

I was reading 'the story' and thinking this person is making this sound over the top - "so much gratuitous impoliteness"?? And a reference to Trump's executive order, which was withdrawn almost immediately - I was in US at the time.

I'm thinking this person is seeking attention & then low and behold the "I have written a new book" appears. Good old ABC giving some, it seems, over the hill author, based on the list of 'popular books' in the article - looks like a long time between drinks eh?

US Border Agents have never been known for their friendliness, but collapsing & crying??

I really can not see an issue really , if you have done nothing wrong then whats the worry if the detain you for an hour or so.

maybe if we screened people more in Australia our no good for nothings may think twice before entering Australia

As i said if you havent done nothing wrong then it shouldnt matter wether they have detained you, while they do the checks

it may feel embarrassing at the time but at the end of the day they are only doing their jobs

Have been in and out of many USA airports for years as we have family living over there and I can honestly say, the staff you meet at the passport control are some of the nastiest staff I have ever had the pleasure of enduring. Even my son who has lived there for years say "just go with the flow and put up with it - us that live here do!

I could tell countless stories here of getting the run-a-round but won't take up your time. Suffice to say in recent years one gets the feeling one may be suspected of being up to no good or at worst a terrorist trying to come in.

Have not been to USA since Mr Trump has assumed office, but I can just imagine the attitude of the staff has not changed for the better.

What a great introduction to the land of the free - I usually tell them I am going to spend about $20,000 during my holiday there, why one holiday I spent nearly $150,000 after just four days so at least we have been contributing to their economy over the years.

Edited by Bpos

Bad business and being detained is not nice, whether it is for 1 hour or for only 5 minutes. No matter what, it is a change in policy and if you have a valid Passport and the ESTA there should be no issues.

We had cancelled our trip to the US as we do not want to support such a regime and there are many other options (countries where we would rather spend our money.

Bad business and being detained is not nice, whether it is for 1 hour or for only 5 minutes. No matter what, it is a change in policy and if you have a valid Passport and the ESTA there should be no issues.

We had cancelled our trip to the US as we do not want to support such a regime and there are many other options (countries where we would rather spend our money.

Spot on Mic but I have family living over there so I really have no choice in not visiting on a regular basis.

I must admit, we have always had a great time once we have gotten there and we have met so many great American friends over the years on our travels and cruises (as we always do a cruise when in the USA to somewhere because of the great prices we can get)

I really can not see an issue really , if you have done nothing wrong then whats the worry if the detain you for an hour or so.

maybe if we screened people more in Australia our no good for nothings may think twice before entering Australia

As i said if you havent done nothing wrong then it shouldnt matter wether they have detained you, while they do the checks

it may feel embarrassing at the time but at the end of the day they are only doing their jobs

Clearly you've never had connecting flights in the US.

Mem Fox is a very well known children's author and does not rate as a terror suspect. I have no faith in Border Security if they think she is a threat based on their assumptions.

The security people can be outright nasty. Even when you are the most pleasant of travellers. Everyone is treated as a suspect even when proven otherwise.

Spot on Mic but I have family living over there so I really have no choice in not visiting on a regular basis.

I must admit, we have always had a great time once we have gotten there and we have met so many great American friends over the years on our travels and cruises (as we always do a cruise when in the USA to somewhere because of the great prices we can get)

My decision has nothing to do with the people, I have many friends there that feel like their world is unravelling. My decision is solely about the new regime. Hopefully In four years time we can return.

I feel sorry for Mem Fox, a famous children's author, who is aged 70.

I believe every word she said. Unless you have been through intense officious interrogation at LAX, you have no idea the extent of LAX Immigration's misuse of power.

Last time I flew to JFK via LAX transit, I thought I would miss my continuing flight, the search of my hand luggage (3 officers) and myself (2 officers) took so long. I am a senior and was a nervous wreck!

I love America and Americans, and have visited many times, however I will try to avoid LAX transit in future.

I was reading 'the story' and thinking this person is making this sound over the top - "so much gratuitous impoliteness"?? And a reference to Trump's executive order, which was withdrawn almost immediately - I was in US at the time.

I'm thinking this person is seeking attention & then low and behold the "I have written a new book" appears. Good old ABC giving some, it seems, over the hill author, based on the list of 'popular books' in the article - looks like a long time between drinks eh?

US Border Agents have never been known for their friendliness, but collapsing & crying??

Personally I disagree with your analysis. Mem Fox is an accomplished and well known author in the US and has travelled there many times. It is not a matter of seeking attention. She was there to address a conference. The treatment she received was not acceptable. In terms of the 'collapsing and crying', she is a 70 yr old woman. I am younger but if I had been subjected to that treatment I can imagine a similar response. Posters on the flyer board I mentioned have said that they have found the treatment extremely traumatic. Apart from being denied entry and taken to another area, they are separated from their partners/travelling companions and held with no explanation of what the issue is or what is likely to happen. Staff have been reported as rude and aggressive towards them.

I love America and Americans, and have visited many times, however I will try to avoid LAX transit in future.

I have also visited US many times & try to avoid LAX if at all possible.

Personally I disagree with your analysis. Mem Fox is an accomplished and well known author in the US and has travelled there many times. It is not a matter of seeking attention. She was there to address a conference. The treatment she received was not acceptable. In terms of the 'collapsing and crying', she is a 70 yr old woman. I am younger but if I had been subjected to that treatment I can imagine a similar response. Posters on the flyer board I mentioned have said that they have found the treatment extremely traumatic. Apart from being denied entry and taken to another area, they are separated from their partners/travelling companions and held with no explanation of what the issue is or what is likely to happen. Staff have been reported as rude and aggressive towards them.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion & you may be more right than me. After all, we were not there. Perhaps the timing of this coinciding with her knew book is really coincidental. I am not famous & have had more than one issue at US border control, but I guess we won't read about that. Anyway I hope it all works out for all involved.

Back to cruising!

Clearly you've never had connecting flights in the US.

Mem Fox is a very well known children's author and does not rate as a terror suspect. I have no faith in Border Security if they think she is a threat based on their assumptions.

The security people can be outright nasty. Even when you are the most pleasant of travellers. Everyone is treated as a suspect even when proven otherwise.

never been outside of Australia to be honest Pushka

I am not saying this good feeling and i am sure people feel uncomfortable about it....but if border security didnt suspect everyone then i would feel they are not doing there job properly

its well and good to say Mem Fox is a well known and wouldnt pose a threat to any nation

but do well known people deserve special treatment when entering a country

We might think border security officials are out right nasty individuals even we are the most pleasant of travellers treating them nicely

I would not have faith in any border security wether here in Australia or overseas if they didnt treat everyone as a suspect

but having said that there is nothing wrong intreating everyone as a suspect but they could speak or act in a better tone if it is only a passport check.....

every border official really has to be satisfied that a person is not a threat to that country wether they are well known people or not

Edited by ozdevil

Yep back to cruising. Won't be visiting US anytime in the next few decades :D

I'm currently booked on an Alaskan cruise next year that is Vancouver round trip. Do shore days in the US count?

The current Govt has given border control the authority to do whatever they wish in the name of security. They were very crusty prior to the recent election so heaven help us now.

Ok with people doing their job. But using excessive force or threats in doing so is a step too far. When people have valid visas that require extensive questioning as in the US tourist visa then that is enough.

Yep back to cruising. Won't be visiting US anytime in the next few decades :D

I would have to find a new job or retire. I manage the local office of a US owned company and so need to travel there from time to time. I have found make sure your documents are in order & answer any questions clearly & concisely at Border Control - all good :)

I'm currently booked on an Alaskan cruise next year that is Vancouver round trip. Do shore days in the US count?.

Yep, shore days count :) Make sure you have your ESTA if you qualify for one, else make sure you have correct visa - you will pass thru US Border Control boarding the ship in Vancouver.

I actually entered the US on the very weekend all hell broke loose last month. It was probably the easiest entry I have ever had - it was in Dallas though, so that might have made it better;)

I'm thinking I won't be spending my money on your shores either! Cruise cancelled...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope your decision to cancel your cruise to the downunder is not based on the comments on this thread. After all I still will continue to visit the USA regardless of the reception I get at the airport and most Aussies will continue to go there irrespective of problems that they may have/have not getting in.

Unfortunately will you miss out on the big grin from the Immigration Officer processing you into Australia and a "Goodday Mate, welcome to Australia " greeting as well.