Why are so few people on P&O roll calls?

madmacs

We have cruised with Princess, Celebrity and P&O. On the first two the roll calls are very lively and we have arranged, been on some better and cheaper private tours than with the cruise lines. We have been to Meet & Greets and made friends.

Roll calls on P&O tend to be non existent or inactive. Can't just be because mainly Brits with P&O, as many Brits go on Princess and Celebrity roll calls. Anyone got ideas?

We have cruised with Princess, Celebrity and P&O. On the first two the roll calls are very lively and we have arranged, been on some better and cheaper private tours than with the cruise lines. We have been to Meet & Greets and made friends.

Roll calls on P&O tend to be non existent or inactive. Can't just be because mainly Brits with P&O, as many Brits go on Princess and Celebrity roll calls. Anyone got ideas?

Large numbers of people using FB. Far more on there compared to CC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From my experience the Americans are far more likely to arrange private tours than the Brits do. This I have always assumed is because they do far more tours than Brits do, espdcially when taking a European holiday; and of course they are far more garrulous than we are, so tend to chat more on roll calls.

I agree about the use of FB by P&O cruisers. All the P&O ships have individual FB pages, and many set up role calls through these pages. I have a suspicion that many of the more traditional P&O cruisers may find CC a little too US centric for their tastes.

Not a criticism of CC, merely a reflection of reality.

On my last cruise I seem to remember a 'social media' meet advertised in the horizon which was a catch all for all the various sites, I thought that was a good idea. We had a couple of good meets from the old P&O board and FB but people on CC seem less inclined. I always wonder what happened to the Monocled Mutineer (Derek).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree that roll calls on other lines are more lively than with P and O. Like others we have made friends and shared many private tours. The roll call for our P and O cruise in November on here seems dead in the water. There is some slight interest on FB but not much.

Presto2

Yes, I agree the Roll Calls seem to be more of an American thing. Although we did do some excellent private tours a couple of years ago on an Iceland cruise with two other couple we met on our Roll Call.

I agree about the use of FB by P&O cruisers. All the P&O ships have individual FB pages, and many set up role calls through these pages. I have a suspicion that many of the more traditional P&O cruisers may find CC a little too US centric for their tastes.

Not a criticism of CC, merely a reflection of reality.

Facebook is fine for keeping in touch with friends or relatives, and excanging photos but, IMO, its absolutely useless for sensible discussions on cruising. Its impossible to keep track of any posts or discussions as well as you can on CC or any other cruise forum.

Presto2

Yes, I agree the Roll Calls seem to be more of an American thing. Although we did do some excellent private tours a couple of years ago on an Iceland cruise with two other couple we met on our Roll Call.

We also arranged a transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia with 3 couples from Canada on one of ours ---- but again, most people on the roll call were not from the UK

I hate FB with a passion so prefer to be on here.

I do think that more folk from the US use this site though to be honest.

So pleased that I am not the only Faceache hater, I was starting to think that I was alone in the world. ;p

Some of you may not remember this but on the P&O website there used to be a forum and that was far more active for a P&O roll calls than these boards. I do FB as well (I got told an email from admin once telling me off for mentioning that social media site on FB so I'm a bit wary) but I mentioned on our roll call here that the I'd organised a FB M&G for our recent cruise and a few turned up. However it couldn't be compared with the M&G we had on Ruby Princess when I made 250+ name badges and there were over 2500 posts on the roll call. We also organised tours in the ports and I think one of the significant differences is that American cruisers are always looking for quality private tours whereas a lot of P&O cruisers are happy to accept the P&O excursions

The last 3 cruises we have been on there has been a joint meet and greet for CC and F/bk which has worked quite well.I think one reason Princess and other cruise lines have large numbers on their roll calls is because it is a given that there wll be coffee/tea and perhaps an officer in attendance at roll calls whereas it needs one member of the roll call to contact P and O to organise this.Other cruise lines actively seem to encourage roll calls.When we went to the Baltic on Emerald Princess some companies advertised a discount if mentioning a roll call when booking which was a big incentive to join! I find CC useful and have met some great people at the meet and greets but I also find some of the F/bk groups(particularly those with a particular destination e.g The caribbean)useful as well.Many new cruisers will already be on F/bk but not many will have heard of Cruise Critic.At one meet and Greet which had been advertised in Horizon one lady came along because she thought it was a group for anyone with complaints to sort out!!:)

Anybody else noticed how soon most P&O posters go to bed as well.;)

On most P and O roll calls we have teamed up with others to take part in the Syndicate Quiz which doesn t start until 10 30pm!It was at our first meet and greet that someone suggested trying the Syndicate quiz and we have been taking part ever since(usually with others from the roll call)Its not often that we retire before 1am on a cruise!:)

On most P and O roll calls we have teamed up with others to take part in the Syndicate Quiz which doesn t start until 10 30pm!It was at our first meet and greet that someone suggested trying the Syndicate quiz and we have been taking part ever since(usually with others from the roll call)Its not often that we retire before 1am on a cruise!:)

I was really meaning on the P&O board, rather than whilst on a cruise.:)

I was really meaning on the P&O board, rather than whilst on a cruise.:)

If you're still awake late on a Friday evening (especially if you're on the vino) then you can't be working hard enough in the week.... :p

Well that's my excuse anyway ;):D

Have always found The Celebrity Roll Calls excellent for arranging tours , meetings on board and on our last cruise we did a 'cabin crawl' on one of the sea days. Our roll call for the Holy land cruise on Celebrity was very active 18 months before the cruise. As others have said the US members are much more active on the Roll Call threads.

Celebrity and Royal both support the ethos of cruisecritic by holding (Celebrity Connections, Royal Meet and Mingle) meetings onboard for cruisecritic members which works well alongside the roll calls on here. However it is true it's mainly the Americans who participate in the roll calls and onboard meetings. Our Sep Royal cruise from Southampton has just hit the minimum 24 people subscribed for an onboard meeting to take place but our Celebrity British Isles cruise on Celebrity last month had 150 people subscribed, 95% of whom were American. The amount of local independent tours they planned was impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting topic. I've used Cruise Critic Roll Calls and similar ever since my first cruise and found them so very useful for arranging excursions and, indeed, making acquaintances, even meeting on occasions pre-cruise in the city of embarkation. However, on my first P&O cruise I didn't speak to one British person who was even aware such a group existed. I can only guess why but other posters have made valid points why this might be the case.

I have to add that some of the contributors to Roll Calls do like to make it a talking shop and seem to delight in telling all and sundry that they've just pegged their washing out:confused:.... I'm sure you get my drift.

As I started this thread, thought I would chip in again. It is quite true that there are some less interesting points on roll calls, like we all used to live within twenty miles of each other etc.

However we are on a Princess cruise next month and are going on some private tours, some arranged by Brits, others Americans at half the price of Princess, some with the same companies! We have made friends from Britain, the US, Israel and Australia through CC. We have been to cruise shows in London and Birmingham and seen CC stalls there.

I am not really into FB, although I occasionally look.

As I started this thread, thought I would chip in again. It is quite true that there are some less interesting points on roll calls, like we all used to live within twenty miles of each other etc.

However we are on a Princess cruise next month and are going on some private tours, some arranged by Brits, others Americans at half the price of Princess, some with the same companies! We have made friends from Britain, the US, Israel and Australia through CC. We have been to cruise shows in London and Birmingham and seen CC stalls there.

I am not really into FB, although I occasionally look.

On our Princess cruise the CC roll call was very quiet. However on the cruise there were 2700 Brits so almost a P&O cruise. Only 150 from the US. So it is defiantly a British thing.