Shopping in the Mexican Riviera

suep

We will be cruising the Sapphire Princess in October of '05 to PV, Cabo and Mazatlan (our first time to this part of Mexico). Do any of these ports have good jewelry shops (similar to St. Thomas or St. Maarten)? I had thought that the Caribbean was the place for good jewelry shopping, but then was pleasantly surprised when I discovered similar stores up in Ketchikan, Alaska! So I'm wondering what might be available in Mexico.

Thanks for your comments!

Sue

• 1 month later...

Here are a few shopping tips.

1. Research jewelry prices and qualities prior to your trip. There is a LOT of information available on the internet. An informed consumer always comes outahead.

2. Practice haggling prices with your family at home. Dont be shy. You aren't taking advantage or being rude. It's the way it's done here.

3. Here is a tip that REALLY works. Wear a t shirt from cruise-critic, or a ***** t shirt, or other travel boards etc. During the sale let the shop owner know you are vocal on the internet about travel and jewelry. Believe me, when I have a person contact me with a problem with a jewelry purchase and it was discussed online, I print out the info and bring it into the store managers office with me. It does carry weight.

4. Make all purchases with a credit card. You can get a discount by paying in cash but if there is a problem and you need a refund it can be a hastle. Our company works closely with the credit card companies prividing the documentation needed. If it's case of buyers remorse theres not a lot that can be done. If the item isn't what was promised or there is a problem with workmanship we can be helpful. In general we just want to be fair all around to everyone.

5. Ask what the return policy is of the company. The policy should be clearly printed out on the reciept. Remember that there is no law regarding returns, but a company that believes in it's merchandise will be confident and offer a return policy.

6. NEVER accept the stores appraisal of the item. They will be biased. Insist on documentation from an Independent Appraiser. In St Thomas our office does Independent Appraisals. ***** has a complete gemological lab staffed with GIA graduate Gemolists and Appraisers. We do not buy or sell jewelry of any kind. By getting your item checked prior to leaving the island all problems can be dealt with then and there. If your diamond comes with a report from one of the major labs our gemogist can check that the documentation matches the diamnd being purchased. Many shoppers will make the final sale contingent on evaluation of our Gemologist/Appraiser. Any jeweler who states this is NOT neccesary should cause a red flag to go off.

7. If you have problems in the islands contact the store first. Most of the time it is simple to resolve the problem. A merchant that values customers wants to keep you happy. Most pride themselves on repeat customers year after year. People won't come back if they bought 2nd rate merchandise or were treated badly.

8. If after contacting the store you still have problems

A. get all of your documentation togehter. B. Contact your crerdit card company. C. Contact the ***** office. D. Send letters to your cruiseline.

9. On a positive note: If you purchased an item, were happy and did well LET PEOPLE KNOW! Over the years we've done documentation for thousands of people who shopped well and got incredible deals. The number of problems was generally low. In most cases the problem was easily resolved with communication and documentation.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Archived