Pre-Cruise Suggestions Sought

Ballwin Babe

We will be sailing out of Papeete to Los Angeles at the end of May 2016. We're considering spending a few days (or more) in Tahiti prior to embarkation, but not necessarily in Papeete. Is there somewhere else we should consider? Does anyone have a favorite location/hotel/resort? We are very happy with simple accomodations. Would love any input anyone might provide. Thanks.

You will find a wider price range for hotels in PPT but consider staying on Moorea, less commercial & a short ferry ride over. If you don't want to pay the big bucks for the hotels on Moorea, take a look at the rental site (pensions). If you have points, the Hilton Moorea is fabulous.

I found a wonderful place that appears to be on the opposite site of Moorea near Opunohu bay. Will this be too big of a hassle to get to the accomodations from the Papeete Airport, and then back to the cruise terminal 4-5 days later?

We will be doing our 4th precruise stay in June. I would go to Moorea as it is easy and inexpensive to get to. About a $25 taxi fare from the airport to the ferry and then a $30 USD per per round trip for the 30 minute ferry ride. Once you get to Moorea you can arrange for transport to where you are staying or rent a car. Cars are about $80-$100 per day.

We have stayed at the Hilton and love it. The snorkeling is world class and I would highly recommend it. The island is not too large and where ever you stay you can't be more than about 40 minute drive time from the ferry. When you return to PPT on the ferry you will end up about 1 block from the cruise ship terminal, an easy walk.

I found a wonderful place that appears to be on the opposite site of Moorea near Opunohu bay. Will this be too big of a hassle to get to the accomodations from the Papeete Airport, and then back to the cruise terminal 4-5 days later?

Very much worth it & not a hassle especially for a 4-5 day stay.

You can ask the hotel about a transfer from the ferry to your accommodations.

Maybe rent a car for the last day or so & drop off the car at the ferry. Avis has an office across from the dock.

Not a big deal at all, if you plan it well. We rented a car for the duration of our three days on Moorea. Flew over from Papeete and took the ferry back for our cruise (walking distance). We chose Les Tipaniers, a really lovely mid-range hotel further along the coast from Oponohu Bay.

A car does come in handy to get around, but I believe Albert's can do transfers for you from and to your hotel. (http://www.albert-transport.net/qui_us.php?nx=QUI)

Would do it again in a flash, and we may well do next December, when we're booked again on the Paul Gauguin. This time I think we would take the ferry in both directions. This means a taxi ride to the port from the airport, but the ferry is really simple and straightforward.

• 6 months later...

It is not the hotel that is the not great choice on Tahiti it is the island. If you are looking for the true South Pacific charm then Tahiti does not have it. I would highly suggest you change to Moorea. The ferry to Moorea only costs $30 roundtrip and departs/arrives in Tahiti from the dock adjacent to the cruise ships.

Any resort on Moorea gets you the South Pacific feel that Tahiti simply does not have.

Hi. We must be on the Insignia with you! We are staying at the Intercontinental in Papeete for the first 3 nights in an overwater bungalow. Mixed reviews but we are taking a chance.

I love this hotel, have stayed there 8 times. If you will be staying in the brand new motu bungalows they will be nice. If you are in one of the older OW bungalows I am afraid you are wasting your money. For the true OW bungalow experience in FP everyone here is correct, go to MOOREA. The water on Tahiti just doesn't warrant the OWB. Now if you still want to stay on Tahiti the IC is great but I would consider downgrading to a Panoramic room on the top floor. Great views and balcony. Don't listen to bad reviews, the hotel is great. On MOOREA the best places for the OWB are the Hilton or the Sofitel. The IC is a great hotel but just doesn't have the awesome water the other two have.