Are there ANY nice beaches/water in Puerta Vallarta?

mom22tinks

We were thinking about going to PV, but heard a few things about safety. Does anyone have personal experience they can share about this. How are the beaches in PV? We normally cruise to the Caribbean and love the beaches there. How do they compare?

I was just in Puerto Vallarta at the Vidanta Grand Bliss resort in June and I enjoyed it. I spent a few days off the resort in the town and I felt perfectly safe. Just like with anything, make sure you don't flaunt your valuables, be aware of your surroundings, do not drink excessively, etc, and you should be fine. The beaches in Puerto Vallarta are nice, but they do not compare with those of the Caribbean. That is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just the Caribbean is known for powder, white sand beaches with soft waves, whereas Puerto Vallarta definitely as some stronger surf, darker sand, and darker water. However, I enjoyed Puerto Vallarta a lot, it is very different compared to the Caribbean islands, and change is good, especially wen the change involves some of the best margaritas you'll ever have in your life. I would suggest going for it! :D

• 2 weeks later...
It is important to remember that Puerto Vallarta sits inside of Banderas Bay, and bays tend to be a little bit dirtier since the trash and runoff water is more contained. However, with that being said, I was in Puerto Vallarta in June at a beach resort and we really enjoyed Playa Animas. The waves can be a little rough, but not any rougher than the beaches spanning the East Coast of the US. We got there using a tour company in Vallarta called "Vallarta Adventures". Puerto Vallarta ended up becoming one of my favorite sunny destinations, you will likely enjoy it if you go with a good attitude :)

Thanks for your input!

As long as I don't develop a rash from swimming there, I'll be a happy camper! LOL ;p

• 6 months later...
Has anyone been to dreams resort lately and what is the current price?

Dreams in Puerto Vallarta is no more, it is now Hyatt Ziva. I have heard they charge US$ 65,- allin per person, but donot give out daypasses if the hotel is 80% or more booked. So check before going there. You need a cab or Uber to get there.