Keeps Kids Health Before Cruise Vacation

MoniMommy

I know that there are some things that are just out of our control. However, please share any tips that you have to avoid kids getting ill before vacation? In the past I have used Elderberry syrup or Sinupret. I start giving it to them 1 to 2 weeks before. I have also started a daily probiotic already (I hear 70% of the immune system is in the gut) since school will be starting and I plan to keep them on it. Of course exercise and healthy eating plays apart. I will also be purchasing vacation insurance. However, if you have anything that you think has worked for you, I would love to know about it. Momma needs a break and a sick kid will cause all plans to be canceled.

I'm a big fan of elderberry, my kids have taken the dissolving tablets since about 4/5 years of age. We do it daily for the week leading up to a holiday.

Other than that ... wash your hands and stay away from sickies.

Can you tell me the brand that you use?

There is no scientific evidence that Vitamin C prevents you from getting a cold; it does not kill anything.

A better prevention is frequent hand washing, good diet and exercise, and getting enough sleep.

Check with your child's doctor before giving them elderberry, as it isn't recommended for children.

Edited by 6rugrats

There is no scientific evidence that Vitamin C prevents you from getting a cold; it does not kill anything.

A better prevention is frequent hand washing, good diet and exercise, and getting enough sleep.

Check with your child's doctor before giving them elderberry, as it isn't recommended for children.

The OP asked opinion as to what worked for others. I answered. I did not say that there was scientific evidence - I merely indicated my opinion that it seemed to "kill the funk." Clearly, that was not written in medical terms, and my choice of words should have indicated a bit of playfulness. Your response, whether intended or not, appears snarky.

To the OP, I hope you took my response as intended. Nothing but my opinion and my experience of using Vitamin C; I have done it and neither my kids, nor my spouse or I get sick. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that it aids the immune system, and FOR US, it works.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. I truly believe that different things help different people. In fact the placebo effect proves that even a sugar pill will help some people. Personally healthy eating, exercise, proper sleep, and handwashing are the core our routine. However, before the trip, I will add something extra. And if it all fails I have purchased trip insurance just in case.

I have personally had success with a product called Sinupret. I am also going to inquire about Elderberry and Echinacea when I see the children's doctor.

I have always been amazed at how willing people are to take time to read and post. I have asked several questions on these boards and have always received several ideas that have been useful. Thanks!

And don't forget to keep up the hand washing and sanitizer going when you get on the ship. Last winter we (two kids, hubby and I) got the WORST virus we've ever had about day 4 of our cruise. High fever, cough, sore throat. Very nasty. It was a lesson to myself to become a total germophobe next time and use hand sanitizer after touching elevator buttons, railings, chair arms etc. It pretty well ruined the last half of our cruise.

• 9 months later...

I just wanted to come back and give an update in case anyone comes across this thread while searching for advice. My 2-year-old did indeed get sick two days before the cruise with diarrhea. She felt fine but had diarrhea. The day before the cruise I took her to the urgent care and the doctor completed the form for the vacation insurance that said she could not travel. The doctor said there was no way to know how long it would last. After leaving I went to the Target and bought the kids probotics from Culturelle. Then I went to the health food store and bought a probiotic called Ultimate Flora 80 billion. It was refrigerated. The curturelle was not. For the ultimate flora I opened up the capsule and gave her half mixed with a bit of Applesauce. I gave her both twice that day about 6 hours apart. The next day there was no diarrhea. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but it was gone! During the trip, I have both girls elderberry syrup and the probiotic daily. I also made sure that they washed and or sanitized their hands. In the kids club the children were required to wash their hands before entering. We had a great trip.

I just wanted to come back and give an update in case anyone comes across this thread while searching for advice. My 2-year-old did indeed get sick two days before the cruise with diarrhea. She felt fine but had diarrhea. The day before the cruise I took her to the urgent care and the doctor completed the form for the vacation insurance that said she could not travel. The doctor said there was no way to know how long it would last. After leaving I went to the Target and bought the kids probotics from Culturelle. Then I went to the health food store and bought a probiotic called Ultimate Flora 80 billion. It was refrigerated. The curturelle was not. For the ultimate flora I opened up the capsule and gave her half mixed with a bit of Applesauce. I gave her both twice that day about 6 hours apart. The next day there was no diarrhea. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but it was gone! During the trip, I have both girls elderberry syrup and the probiotic daily. I also made sure that they washed and or sanitized their hands. In the kids club the children were required to wash their hands before entering. We had a great trip.

What did you do about the vacation insurance that said your daughter couldn't travel?

What did you do about the vacation insurance that said your daughter couldn't travel?

The Dr completed the form that I would have needed to file a claim with the vacation insurance. I printed the form and took it with me to the Dr. However, since she recovered we went and I just threw the paper away. The Dr did tell me that it was safe to travel even with the dihereea but that she was contagious as long as she had the dihereea. Since it went away we went and did not need to file a claim with the insurance.

Just a note for the future...You could have achieved the same result by feeding her yogurt. Several times I have returned from a trip with travelers diarrhea and yogurt is my sure fire cure. It has the same bacteria in it as that refrigerated probiotic. EM

• 2 weeks later...
The Dr completed the form that I would have needed to file a claim with the vacation insurance. I printed the form and took it with me to the Dr. However, since she recovered we went and I just threw the paper away. The Dr did tell me that it was safe to travel even with the dihereea but that she was contagious as long as she had the dihereea. Since it went away we went and did not need to file a claim with the insurance.

Did the dr tell you why she had the runs? Did they do testing for a virus? It's great that you felt everything was fine and got to go on your cruise, but your child could have still been carrying around a virus that could spread like crazy on a ship. Clearly your doctor didn't care too much about making other people sick since they even told you it was safe for her to travel even if she was still contagious.

Many viruses are still contagious for a few days after no symptoms are present. My son's daycare had a norovirus outbreak a few years ago. No kids were allowed back until a full 48 hours passed with no loose stools.

People getting on the ship when they are still contagious is how these things spread.

Did you put that she recently had those issues on her medical questionnaire? Let me guess you lied.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Porridge every day for breakfast is really good for the gut. Keeps the good bacteria in tip top shape. My Dr recommended this. He said it was better than the pro-biotic for daily use and recommended pro-biotic drink or yoghurt only after a bout of vomiting or diareah, for about 4 days & then back to porridge.

It's been working for me.😀😉 like everyone one said frequently washing hands & a goods night sleep. Zinc is meant to prevent colds , there has been research that suggests that zinc does boost the immune system.

Vitamin C is water soluble, so basically if you are taking extra, all that happens is your body self regulates & you piss it a away again. But if you want to increase your iron intake then take extra vitamin C as it increases uptake of iron when taken together.

Also take vitamin C when you have a cold, but no point before.

These are my tips.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Porridge every day for breakfast is really good for the gut. Keeps the good bacteria in tip top shape. My Dr recommended this. He said it was better than the pro-biotic for daily use and recommended pro-biotic drink or yoghurt only after a bout of vomiting or diareah, for about 4 days & then back to porridge.

It's been working for me.😀😉 like everyone one said frequently washing hands & a goods night sleep. Zinc is meant to prevent colds , there has been research that suggests that zinc does boost the immune system.

Thank you. I'm going to incorporate porridge into our diet. I've been trying to think of a new dish to add to our breakfast routine. When my daughter got dihereea she was not sick persay. Her stomach did not hurt, she had no fever, and she was laughing and playing all day. She was also not dehydrated and was eating normally. She never complained of being sick. So when the diereaha stopped we enjoyed our vacation.

Just because someone has diareah doesn't mean they have a virus. I always get an upset stomach when I travel. I think it must be change of diet and routine, 🤔 or maybe different water.

It's been a year since I was last on a cruise, but I am sure it says 'fever and one of the following symptoms'. So if you don't have a fever you can truthfully answer no to the questionnaire.

Does someone have a link to one so we can have a look?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Just because someone has diareah doesn't mean they have a virus. I always get an upset stomach when I travel. I think it must be change of diet and routine, 🤔 or maybe different water.

It's been a year since I was last on a cruise, but I am sure it says 'fever and one of the following symptoms'. So if you don't have a fever you can truthfully answer no to the questionnaire.

Does someone have a link to one so we can have a look?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Here is a link to the Royal Caribbean form:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2514309&highlight=health+form

The poster sailed NCL but the forms are similar. Someone would have had to lie to board a ship with someone who had diarrhea 2 days prior to sailing.

Here is a link to the Royal Caribbean form:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2514309&highlight=health+form

The poster sailed NCL but the forms are similar. Someone would have had to lie to board a ship with someone who had diarrhea 2 days prior to sailing.

Thanks for the link. I was thinking of the top line, which is fever plus one of these symptoms

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Carnival:

1. Within the last 3 days, have you or any person listed above developed any symptoms of diarrhea or vomiting?

YES NO

2. Do you, or anyone listed above, have a fever or feverishness PLUS any ONE of the following additional symptoms: cough, runny nose or sore throat?

YES NO

*If you answer “YES” to questions 1 and/or 2, you will be assessed, free of charge, by a member of the shipboard medical staff. You will be allowed to travel/visit, unless you are suspected to have an illness of international public concern.

This questionnaire may be reported to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Whoever knowingly and willfully makes a materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation may be subject to a fine, imprisonment, or both pursuant to Title 18, § 1001 of the United States Code. Similar sanctions may apply in other countries where the information is provided.

So you'd have to lie on question #1, or see the medical staff and be assessed.

• 1 month later...

A healthy person doesn't need to require any supplement. Don't waste your money to buy this and that. Stay away from the sick people, frequent hand washing , balance diet ,etc. I wouldn't bring my kid to the cruise with diarrhea. their condition can change very fast even after a day of no diarrhea. not to mention about spreading the virus with their hands and using the public bathroom on the ship.

Agree, but unfortunately it's fairly difficult for school aged kids to stay away from sick people. If they stayed out every time there was a sick kid in their class, we'd be seeing the truant officer before September. (They started Aug 3rd.)