Houston Space Center

Griff61

Hello

My wife and I are returning from a Caribbean cruise to Galveston on Mar 3 2018.

We are staying the night of the 3rd and flying out on the 4th at noon IAH.

We are thinking of renting a car from Texas City, by I45, and going to the Space Center.

We have never been to Houston or area and I just wanted to post here to see if the great people of cruise critic have any advice.

We have FTTF so we should be off the Freedom early and was planning on taking Uber to the car rental office.

TIA

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

Only tidbit I can give you is that Uber is not allowed in Galveston. You can take one there from the Houston airports but you cannot pick up an Uber in Galveston. We were there a couple of weeks ago and taxis were readily available when we go off.

Only tidbit I can give you is that Uber is not allowed in Galveston. You can take one there from the Houston airports but you cannot pick up an Uber in Galveston. We were there a couple of weeks ago and taxis were readily available when we go off.

Well... your information is old. Uber and Lyft operate down here again. They have since May.

Try to do both NASA JSC tram tours out of Space Center Houston. One of the trams views the old mission control in building 30 from the Apollo era and has an Apollo special set up thing and the other tram tour takes you to building 9 and you get to see the mock up and training facilities for astronauts of the International Space Station. And on your tram tour when you see building 8, wave at me!

Make sure you check out the Shuttle mock-up on the 737 aircraft! It is super cool!

Also, if you like wine and beer there is a wine bar and beer pub that a lot of Astronauts and NASA people frequent. The wine bar is called Chelsea Wine Bar and the beer pup is called Boondoggles. It is right down the road from Space Center Houston and NASA JSC. Boondoogles has delicious food too! I highly recommend any of their pizzas.

If you plan to take a tram tour at the Space Center, go online and get a "timed ticket" for the tour...it's free (as long as you paid admission) and you get to skip the line of those who did not get a timed ticket...just have to make sure you arrive to the location 15 mins before the time you picked. I went in July and there was a huge line, glad I had gotten that timed ticket ahead of time. We skipped everyone :D The tram tour last around 45 mins to 1 hour from what I remember.

I did a mock booking and Uber says they are in Galveston :D

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it very much.

What's the weather like there in Feb-Mar ?

Highs in the upper 70's to perhaps 80. We don't have but a day or two each winter where it freezes on average. A true cold front will push temps in February down to the 40's but it's a mild winter part of the country.

Highs in the upper 70's to perhaps 80. We don't have but a day or two each winter where it freezes on average. A true cold front will push temps in February down to the 40's but it's a mild winter part of the country.

That sounds much better than what it would be in BC at that time of year. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Treat yourself and do a "Level 9 Tour'. Well worth the added cost when you fact in that lunch is included. Great upclsoe tour compared to the normal tram tour. Get tgo off site and see the giant pool whre they train for space walks up at space station. Great tour !!

This is absolutely, without a doubt, the best option. Regular adult tickets to the Space Center are US $30 plus parking (currently half price $15 & free parking until Sept 10 with 1/3rd collected going to Harvey relief efforts) for the larger group via tram tour to see Rocket Park (Saturn V Rocket & 2 other rockets) original Apollo mission control (used until 1992!) & building 9.

With this Level 9 tour it sounds like you'll get to see current ISS mission control (beyond cool) & possibly the Neutral Buoyancy Lab (NBL) which is offsite where astronauts train for space walking underwater. Plus it includes lunch & transport by van instead of tram which is awesome - think a/c, it's hot in Houston! It's $129 per person & only for ages 14 & up. Entrances/admission is scheduled ONLY Mon-Fri, @ either 10:45am or 11:15am & tour lasts 4-5 hours.

For science nerds, history buffs or bucket listers - it's just a great experience. DO THIS! :D

(Got lucky with my sister being a NASA flight controller, she walked me around all this herself!)