A hurricane-season cruising question...

In Sepetember 2010, on a Boston/Bermuda cruise, we thought we'd be diverted to Canada due to hurricane Igor. Upon embarkation, they handed us notices that we were going to Port Canaveral, then Nassau (about 8 hours in each). Igor was hitting Bermuda on the day we were supposed to dock. It was a rocky ride (18 ft swells), but we were happy to be in the warm air.

DH and I were just wondering, has a Bermuda or Caribbean cruise during hurricane season ever changed their itinerary and gone to Canada to avoid a storm? We keep joking that we're wind up in Halifax instead of Bermuda in two weeks. :cool:

It is possible and has happened. You might end up in Halifx, you might end up in the Bahamas, you might end up in Florida, you could end up anywhere that is ut of the way of the storm.

DH and I were just wondering, has a Bermuda or Caribbean cruise during hurricane season ever changed their itinerary and gone to Canada to avoid a storm? We keep joking that we're wind up in Halifax instead of Bermuda in two weeks. :cool:

We're on the same cruise, and live about 40 miles from Halifax, so I hope not ! ;)

My wife and I were supposed to go to Bermuda in Oct, 2014 out of Boston for our honeymoon. Because of an approaching storm, we were told Bermuda was out, and we were either going to Canada, or the Bahamas. Last minute, right before sail-away they announced Bahamas. So yes, anything is possible.

Going in September also and really hope we make it to Bermuda. Twice our itineraries changed to Canada and once to Florida/Bahamas. I heard it's expected to be an active hurricane season the other day and just keeping fingers crossed. I guess just the chance you take especially in Sep/Oct.

We had hurricane Joaquin(?) two yrs ago for our BA to Bermuda in October, worried about diversion too- instead they held us in NYC until 2am to avoid it. We had a rough sailing the next day and got to Bermuda late on Wednesday( also had a medical that diverted us to Virginia) but sun was shining and the rest of the trip was uneventful. Just another possibility...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just last October Breakaway was diverted from Bermuda to Port Canaveral and Nassau, both of which had just been hit by a hurricane. We talked to the Captain and New England was in consideration, but the ship is too big for most of the ports up there, and being leaf season, already had a full complement of ships visiting. Also, most of the passengers would not have had the clothes needed for a cold weather cruise!

We talked to the Captain and New England was in consideration, but the ship is too big for most of the ports up there

this is off topic but i am wondering what NCL is going to do in the future next year if the Gem leaves NYC for good and NYC only has the Breakaway and Escape. If both ships are too big for the New England ports, which ship is going to do the Canada runs like what the Gem currently does now?

this is off topic but i am wondering what NCL is going to do in the future next year if the Gem leaves NYC for good and NYC only has the Breakaway and Escape. If both ships are too big for the New England ports, which ship is going to do the Canada runs like what the Gem currently does now?

The BA and Escape are not too big. The Escape will be doing a 7 day run

7-Day Canada & New England from New York

DayCruise PortsArriveDepartSun New York, New York (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm Mon At Sea--- --- Tue Portland, Maine 8:00 am 5:00 pm Wed Bar Harbor, Maine 8:00 am 5:00 pm Thu Saint John, Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick 7:00 am 4:00 pm Fri Halifax, Nova Scotia 10:00 am 8:00 pm Sat At Sea--- --- Sun New York, New York (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am

New York (your Breakaway) and Boston based cruises can and have gone north. Last year there was much hate and discontent when the ship switched from Bermuda to the Bahamas after embarkation. Versus sailing into the storm if they went north. It's not like storms run on a schedule,,,, the hurricane in the gulf just change course again this morning. captains make the best choice to keep their passengers and comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me be clearer. When Breakaway had to avoid Bermuda last year, there were already dozen ships in New England/Canada. We were too big for the ports that had any openings. If planned ahead there are a few ports that can accept the ship. Only a few were rsally upset about the change. Ehat upset us was they cheerfully maintained a lie that were going to Bermuda as we boarded. I may have been the only family on board that packed cold weather clothes. Everyone would have frozen up there. We were glad to sail south into the warmth, even though the trip was shortened and had only two dull port calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not just all about diverting away from Bermuda. Two years ago one of the Canadian cruises was diverted to Bermuda! It was the cruise that was a week before I was set to go to Canada with my mom.......I wouldn't have minded going to Bermuda instead:)

I remember the uproar when a Carnival cruise was diverted to Canada due to a hurricane coming up the east coast. The people on board were totally unprepared for the cold weather they would encounter! Ship's store did great business in selling fleeces and sweatshirts!

Thanks for the input. The good thing is that we'll be happy wherever we wind up, a vacation is a vacation and we'd rather be safe anywhere than in the path of a storm.

Except there is a massive difference in the type of vacation you will experience

Lounging on a beach in Bermuda vs climbing the citadel in Halifax are apples and oranges

Btw the citadel is quite nice

Oh what a shame

The jewel class ships are so much nicer than those breakaway ships

Guess I'm looking elsewhere in the future