Mexico Warning

BellaBaci4

The U.S. State Department has expanded its travel advisories, warning of dangers in parts of Mexico that hadn’t previously been addressed, including the Caribbean coast.

It’s due to increased violence in the area. The advisory stated that turf battles between criminal groups had resulted in crimes and killings in areas frequented by U.S. citizens.

Chiapas was one of the states newly included in this advisory, with the U.S. State Department in the area saying, “U.S. government personnel must remain in tourist areas and are not allowed to use public transportation.”

The warning also included states covering popular tourist destinations such as Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Cozumel.

Will you still visit this port?

The U.S. State Department has expanded its travel advisories, warning of dangers in parts of Mexico that hadn’t previously been addressed, including the Caribbean coast.

It’s due to increased violence in the area. The advisory stated that turf battles between criminal groups had resulted in crimes and killings in areas frequented by U.S. citizens.

Chiapas was one of the states newly included in this advisory, with the U.S. State Department in the area saying, “U.S. government personnel must remain in tourist areas and are not allowed to use public transportation.”

The warning also included states covering popular tourist destinations such as Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Cozumel.

I would cancel right away if I were you lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People think they've got the scoop. but there are several threads on this already, and the story made national and local newscasts. Even Howard Stern talked about it.

We all know.

Besides, its probably all fake news anyway, put out by the Trump administration to garner support for the stupid wall.

Edited by triptolemus

We will stay on the ship, it's crazy world .

We are on a Mexican Riviera cruise in Dec. Los Cabos is included, which is about 20 mi from Cabo San Lucas. But our 3rd port- Mazatlan, has no shore excursions posted! Called my PCC at NCL, but no answer yet on port changes. We love ship days, and go on this cruise every year so to miss a port is no big thing. But a 7 day cruise with 1 port is not my idea of a good cruise. But with UBP and more sea days........

We are on a Mexican Riviera cruise in Dec. Los Cabos is included, which is about 20 mi from Cabo San Lucas. But our 3rd port- Mazatlan, has no shore excursions posted! Called my PCC at NCL, but no answer yet on port changes. We love ship days, and go on this cruise every year so to miss a port is no big thing. But a 7 day cruise with 1 port is not my idea of a good cruise. But with UBP and more sea days........

I wouldn't panic yet as we are less than 60 days out from both Western and Eastern caribbean and the shore excursions for one portion just went on the NCL site a few days ago. We also have been vacationing in Mexico (both coasts!) for 40 years now....and although I DO pay attention to the warnings....am not willing to stop going there. But I may be drinking more bottles of beer than mixed drinks this time! Not as concerned about being caught in gun battles as I am with the tainted alcohol thing supposedly going on.

The U.S. State Department has expanded its travel advisories, warning of dangers in parts of Mexico. Chiapas was one of the states newly included in this advisory, with the U.S. State Department in the area saying, “U.S. government personnel must remain in tourist areas and are not allowed to use public transportation. Will you still visit this port?

We will still visit on our cruise as the port looks to be far from conflict areas, but will not be taking buses to the local town.

People think they've got the scoop. but there are several threads on this already, and the story made national and local newscasts. Even Howard Stern talked about it.

We all know.

Besides, its probably all fake news anyway, put out by the Trump administration to garner support for the stupid wall.

I am sure the families of the over 12,000 people killed this year in Mexico would love for it to be fake news.

I am sure the families of the over 12,000 people killed this year in Mexico would love for it to be fake news.

There are two competing narratives on this forum when this topic comes up. The first is "thousands and thousands killed in Mexico, families suffer" and the other is "its the same as anywhere else, don't worry about it."

Curious.

I for one have a travel bug and want to see the world. I know many places are just too dangerous and I will never make it there, the middle east to name one. I will just stay on the cautious side no matter where I go, but I will never stop travelling.

It is sad that so many places in our world have become "dangerous" but as others have stated it can be just as dangerous here in the good old USA.

I am currently booked on a western Caribbean cruise leaving a week from Saturday. I am well aware of the dangers of Mexico

as this has been an ongoing problem and appreciate the warnings that the State Department issues to heighten my awareness.

We stop in Cozumel. I will go on my excursion and make sure I am aware of my surroundings and not venture into areas where I should not be in the first place.

What I do not appreciate is the prior poster using this forum express their uninformed political diatribe.

I come to Cruise Critic to gather information and share common experiences. Let's stick to that.

Glad we got to see Constantinople before all the cruise lines pulled out of there. Might not be a bad idea to see Mexico before things change. RCCL had a few cruises that went from Hong Kong to Singapore with three stops in the Philippines, none on Mindanao, but those ports are no longer available. Could have been economics rather than politics.

We all know.

Ugh....do we really need the politics here? The obsession with Trump does not need to invade our joy in cruising.

Interestingly the foreign office in the uk has not warned brits against travel to Mexico - they've posted information about recent events but not put advice against travel, which is a major issue with travel insurance if they do warn against U.K. Citizens visiting Mexico

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I looked up the warning that is being talked about here. It starts by noting most issues relate to car jacking late at night. Cozumel is lumped in with the mainland and states the following. In reviewing various news sites online it notes there have been no murders to tourists or locals in Cozumel. Biggest issue is home burglaries. There is indication do not know why they are on this list. So I would say go see the island just be aware or your surroundings like you would anywhere.

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

If tourist areas are the guidance than the port is perfect. Get off, be aware and enjoy.

I have been going to Cancun and Riviera Maya every year since 1981 and these tourist areas have become dangerous if you are not careful. I personally have been approached numerous times to buy drugs, ladies of the evening and other ridiculous things. One woman asked my mother if she wanted to buy her child. I have been extorted by the police and will no longer set food in the tourist section of Cancun. My only visits now are stays in AI's in Riviera Maya where I get off the plane and a limo takes me to the resort and a week later I get back on the plane. I am now considering moving my timeshare weeks out of Mexico since the discovery of the use of tainted alcohol which resulted in the death of a young girl recently. The reason for the recent warning is because of the influx of gangs and the drug cartels into the tourist areas. There are much safer places to vacation IMHO.

We are on the Getaway the week of Thanksgiving to the Western Carribean with two stops in Mexico. (Costa Maya and Cozumel). The warnings have been out for years (even when I went to Cancun in 2015) and we only left our AI in the day time and only once or twice to go on excursions. Now, we picked the Getaway because of the many amenities and entertainment on the ship so staying on board wouldn't be the worst thing ever. I'll decide closer to the time though... a lot can happen between now and then.

Edited to add: I mean I'll decide whether I'll get off the ship in the two ports... not whether I would cancel. I'm going... for sure.