Trying to decide between Harmony and Allure

Mjsvictorious

My family has never cruised before so I am not sure which ship to choose.We are sailing at the beginning of May 2018. There are six of us: My husband, myself, a 74 year old, a 19, 12 & 5 year old.

The difference in price is $2600 Canadian.

I am reading mixed reviews on the food on the harmony, but I understand the slides are great.

The ports are the same.

Is the extra money to sail on the harmony worth it?

Please help!

Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I would be asking this on the board here for Royal Caribbean, where regular Royal sailors might be able to give you a reasonable comparison/opinion. Located under Cruise Lines P-Z. EM

For a very first cruise, I would not fret about the difference between those two ships. There will be so much ooh-ing and ahhh-ing on either ship. Just being on a cruise ship for the first time is a special experience and remembered by every cruiser I have met. With that, I would go with the lesser cost since the ports are the same. Save the newer ship for a 'next cruise' option with something new to see and do.

Think of it this way, that $2000+ savings will buy your whole family some really top notch shore excursions! Or you can spurge and take everyone out to dinner at a specialty restaurant (up charge). It will cover all your daily service charges. You can purchase everyone an unlimited beverage package.

I wouldn't fret about the food reviews. They aren't very objective and 3 people on one sailing can order the same item and you'll get 3 different opinions. As this is your first cruise, you will be awed and excited and overwhelmed. I would suggest going with the cheaper option, you'll still have a good time.

Both are Oasis class ships, largest on the seas and both will have that "wow" factor, especially for a first timer. Since you won't really notice any difference, having nothing to compare them to, I'd save the $2600 and go with the Allure - as kraut posted, that difference would be better spent on excursions!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Except for the water slides on the Harmony Of The Seas the ships are basically the same. The Allure Of The Seas is a wonderful ship and that would definitely be my choice for a first time family cruise. Save the extra money for a deposit on your second cruise. If you are like me a cruise on that ship will get your family hooked. Recently sailed on the Allure Of The Seas in November 2016 and January 2017 with my family and had an outstanding time.

I have been on the Allure of the Seas 2 times in the past 6 months. I have not been on the Harmony of the Seas, but for the savings I would do the Allure. You can use that money to eat at the specialty restaurants, take tours that are offered, and get a few pictures from your first cruise to take home with you. I would fly into Fl. Lauderdale the day before, so some of that money can be used to pay for your hotel rooms. The biggest reason I feel you would enjoy the Allure is that their Broadway show is Mama Mia and it's first class that all of you would enjoy except for maybe the 5 year old. They have a great Adventure Ocean program for the kids, so you could allow your youngest one to go to that program while you see the best show on the seas. Their ice shows are awesome too. However, you can't go wrong with Royal Caribbean on any of their Oasis ships. Just my opinion.

There is one difference IMO that is significant in that Harmony does not have a swimming pool in the Solarium. As this is an adult area only it could impact you with those in your family over 16 who may want to use this area if having a pool to relax in there is important. And as the Solarium on Oasis class ships can get very hot, this is can be a factor. In addition having four instead of five pools overall would likely make the remaining four more crowded. Very poor design choice for this particular ship IMO and is keeping me from sailing on her. I would look at Symphony instead if the slides were an important feature or would otherwise stay with Allure or Oasis.

Go on Allure. Harmony is almost identical except the water slides which you won't miss since you have never been on a ship with them. Let that wait until a future cruise. Allure is one of the best ships in the world, make your show and specialty dining reservations in advance and enjoy this amazing ship.

Both are Oasis class ships, largest on the seas and both will have that "wow" factor, especially for a first timer. Since you won't really notice any difference, having nothing to compare them to, I'd save the $2600 and go with the Allure - as kraut posted, that difference would be better spent on excursions!

Agree with this, $2600 is way too much for the difference.

Except for the water slides on the Harmony Of The Seas the ships are basically the same. The Allure Of The Seas is a wonderful ship and that would definitely be my choice for a first time family cruise.

my friends who are not first time cruisers actually hated the Allure. Long lines for buffet (about an hour to get in), huge crowds, charges for movies and cartoons for kids, etc., all of these were just a bit disappointing. She also complained about food compared to Regal/Royal Princess.

my friends who are not first time cruisers actually hated the Allure. Long lines for buffet (about an hour to get in), huge crowds, charges for movies and cartoons for kids, etc., all of these were just a bit disappointing. She also complained about food compared to Regal/Royal Princess.

OP is deciding between the two RCCL ships, not to Princess. Since they have never cruised before, they have nothing to compare it to

Not everyone will have the same opinion about any given ship, but in my experience those comments are not accurate. The Oasis class ships have a number of different venues that handle the passenger load very well. In fact we have been on smaller ship classes with less passengers that were more crowded in certain venues than the Oasis class ships.

While the buffet can get crowded, in particular on boarding day, we have never experienced any lines or wait to get in. The comment about taking an hour is not true in our experience on any RCI ship - including Allure - in more than 26 years of cruising. And and there has never been a charge for movies or any child activity, other than with the games in the arcades. Food is also very subjective and certainly cannot be challenged in terms of one's opinion.

Again, your friends comments do not reflect our experience with three Oasis class sailings.

I totally agree. I also recommend Allure for this very reason.

I've cruised Oasis Class 4 times and while I agree the buffet can get very busy during peak hours, never have I seen an hour wait. In fact, I'm confident in throwing the BS flag on that claim. The claim about charging for movies and cartoons is also false. RCI shows newly released DreamWorks movies, usually in 3D, and they are totally free.

On Oasis Class, there are touch screen TVs set up all near all the elevators/stairs. You can open up all the dining venues and it tells you by color code how busy each venue is.

• 2 months later...

Save the $2600....that very well could be airfare (if you need it), shore excursions, drinks....ok, it's a lot. I could do another cruise for two with that. Differences between Allure and Harmony? Allure doesn't have slides - water or dry; Harmony has a couple of water slides and the dry slide down by the Aqua Theater. Harmony is a few inches longer. Harmony has WOW bands; Allure does not. (Who cares? You still get a ship card either way). Grease (I think) is on Harmony, Mama Mia! is on Allure. The Solarium spans 3 decks instead of 2 on Harmony.

......and that's about it. Both ships have Central Park. Both have a Solarium. Both have a boardwalk with a carousel. Both have a zillion places to eat, and plenty of pools and deck space. Both have fabulous entertainment.

I should also point out that Harmony is RCI's newest ship for the moment (until Symphony debuts). Her price point is going to be a bit higher. After Symphony comes out, there Harmony (I suspect) will have rates that are on par with Oasis and Allure.