??? About sky/cuba

victory2020

Hello All,

Haven't been on the Sky since she was new & have never been to Cuba.

My questions are : is there a better dining room between Crossroads & Palace?

Are there bathrobes in inside room?

Can you use non refundable onboard credit to tip for room service?

Is there a sports bar like O'Sheehans that has the wings/burgers etc menu?

Do they still have "dinner with officer" deal?

When do you get your visa? I paid for it through NCL but it is nowhere on my reservation.

Is travel agency onboard credit refundable? (this does not show up on reservation either)

We're leaving Havana at noon. Is that enough time to do anything? Someone mentioned the city bus that sounded fun.

Thanks

We were on the Sky 3 weeks ago. I have some info on everything but the OBC.

1. MDR's were very similar. Palace had the stricter dress code, but still pretty casual.

2. There is a sports bar aft near the buffet. It is not open all day like O'Sheehan's on other ships. It opens in the late afternoon.

3. We had robes in our balcony cabin. If they aren't there, ask your room steward.

4. You will receive your visa/pink tourist card when you check in in Miami with along with your key card.

5. We were not taxed on drinks while in port in Miami.

6. We took a private tour in Havana with no problems. The new guidelines have not been written yet as far as I know. We also took 2 excursions via NCL.

7. With a Noon sailaway, you would have plenty of time to walk around Old Havana or go down to the flea market for souvenirs.

8. The dinner with an officer was offered, but it is a lottery. We were not selected and saw only 1 table that night in the MDR with 1 officer.

Thank you so much herdingdogmom, you been a HUGE help.

Did the Palace dining room get busy around 7 to your knowledge? I made reservations for very night except while in Havana & could only make them for 6:30 or 7:30 (of course everyone in our party of 7 wanted to eat at 7, figuring we could go early if it's not too crowded)

Thank you so much herdingdogmom, you been a HUGE help.

Did the Palace dining room get busy around 7 to your knowledge? I made reservations for very night except while in Havana & could only make them for 6:30 or 7:30 (of course everyone in our party of 7 wanted to eat at 7, figuring we could go early if it's not too crowded)

We ate in the Palace MDR 3 of the nights and noticed a line up at the entrance at 7:00 and 7:30. We had made our reservations for 6:30 but that was a bit early. We changed them to 7:00 and 7:15 with the hostess the first day. The Havana overnight we were going to go back out to see the canon firing ceremony, but we were beat from the heat and going on 2 excursions. So, we went to Cagney's. No problem getting in that night. We went at 7:30 and had a wonderful dinner. Have a great cruise.

We ate in the Palace MDR 3 of the nights and noticed a line up at the entrance at 7:00 and 7:30. We had made our reservations for 6:30 but that was a bit early. We changed them to 7:00 and 7:15 with the hostess the first day. The Havana overnight we were going to go back out to see the canon firing ceremony, but we were beat from the heat and going on 2 excursions. So, we went to Cagney's. No problem getting in that night. We went at 7:30 and had a wonderful dinner. Have a great cruise.

Thank you. May I ask what and where the cannon firing ceremony is?

Thank you. May I ask what and where the cannon firing ceremony is?

9:00pm at La Cabana fort in El Morro across the harbor from where you are docked. Cuban military dressed in period costume fire a cannon to signify closing of the gates to the city. We were advised to be there by 8:00pm. PBS aired a special called Weekend in Havana that showed the ceremony. We also learned a lot of info from a Cuba guidebook and the CC Ports of Call board (Carribean/Cuba)

9:00pm at La Cabana fort in El Morro across the harbor from where you are docked. Cuban military dressed in period costume fire a cannon to signify closing of the gates to the city. We were advised to be there by 8:00pm. PBS aired a special called Weekend in Havana that showed the ceremony. We also learned a lot of info from a Cuba guidebook and the CC Ports of Call board (Carribean/Cuba)

That sounds so cool! I saw the PBS special but missed the first 5 minutes - I guess that's when they showed it. How far is it? Did you walk there? I'll check out the boards on Cuba, didn't occur to me they would have one.

That sounds so cool! I saw the PBS special but missed the first 5 minutes - I guess that's when they showed it. How far is it? Did you walk there? I'll check out the boards on Cuba, didn't occur to me they would have one.

Yes, it is in the first 5 minutes of the PBS special. No, you can not walk to the fort from the cruise port. You must take a taxi or car there through the tumnel under the harbor.

• 2 months later...
Recently completed this cruise in April. Did so much research here on CC that was extremely helpful. I finally finished my Blog that may help you in your planning process too. Happy to answer any questions!

great blog - one question - the waiver you emailed 30 days before cruising - can that be done last minute? They still sell the Cuba cruise just days before sailing, hoping they don't make you stay on the ship? maybe I'd have to talk to NCL about this?