New safety warning, Mexico, Cozumel

coscab

If they somehow decide to go up the river instead and end up in Chicago, careful. They had over 700 murders last year and 60 something shootings this past weekend. But then again, at any location, Cozumel or Chicago, just don't wander into unknown and unfamiliar territory.

I don't understand why the tv media is including Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, I don't see it on the government website, unless I am missing it.

here is the paragraph you may have missed:

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

Don't get drunk, don't go off with strangers, stay out of back alleys and don't take midnight strolls, use the same precautions you would visiting almost any other city..

Cozumel is reliant on TOURISM and the one thing they DO NOT want is a bad reputation.

bosco

Hi Everyone,

Cozumel is one of our favorite ports, however, I might feel a little more uncomfortable traveling a few miles from the ship with this news. Any thoughts on safety going to areas like Nachi-Cocom? Is the travel there very secluded? Not sure how far away this is.

We have not been there yet and thought it could be right up our alley.....but we do want to head the warnings and be safe!

Thanks for your thoughts:)

... any emails from NCL about skipping the port, I sure hope not.

NCL holdings is the only cruise company that stopped at Acapulco over the last couple years due to violence there. Crystal Serenity is scheduled a stop in Jan and Dec 2018, but only NCLH ships otherwise. I see no likelihood they will divert from Cozumel.

Beware of your surroundings, don't get wasted, and do a ship sponsored excursion and no worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your partially correct except the part of no worries with a sponsored excursion....

Your not any more safe. Your still are in a country that is having issues as the article states The folks that are bad do not care if your with a sponsored guide... ;)

We were in Cozumel exactly one week ago and had heard the news about tainted booze and saw the crackdown story a couple days before we got there. Still had me wondering about drinks but they stuck with "National" brands at Playa Mia which had me more worried about a hangover as much as anything so we pretty much stuck with the beer.

Don't get drunk, don't go off with strangers, stay out of back alleys and don't take midnight strolls, use the same precautions you would visiting almost any other city..

Cozumel is reliant on TOURISM and the one thing they DO NOT want is a bad reputation.

bosco

Good advice. Always be alert and exercise common sense.

Hi Everyone,

Cozumel is one of our favorite ports, however, I might feel a little more uncomfortable traveling a few miles from the ship with this news. Any thoughts on safety going to areas like Nachi-Cocom? Is the travel there very secluded? Not sure how far away this is.

We have not been there yet and thought it could be right up our alley.....but we do want to head the warnings and be safe!

Thanks for your thoughts:)

It is about 20 minutes from the pier. This is a heavily traveled dual carriageway road that runs along the beach. The taxis you pick up from the dispatch point at the end of the pier and at these resorts are licensed and insured.At any given time this road is full of taxis going back and forth to all the other resorts on that road. You don't see much local traffic until you get back into downtown. I wouldn't give it a second thought, use your usual common sense travel knowledge.. I have always found the people there very warm and helpful.

We were in Cozumel exactly one week ago and had heard the news about tainted booze and saw the crackdown story a couple days before we got there. Still had me wondering about drinks but they stuck with "National" brands at Playa Mia which had me more worried about a hangover as much as anything so we pretty much stuck with the beer.[/quote

That's the problem, they were replacing the liquor in the bottles so you wouldn't know. The story referenced in the article is where near I am from, so it was all over FB etc. I never knew of such a issue until I had some friends admit it also happened to them or their friends all explained its is a big issue there.

If they somehow decide to go up the river instead and end up in Chicago, careful. They had over 700 murders last year and 60 something shootings this past weekend. But then again, at any location, Cozumel or Chicago, just don't wander into unknown and unfamiliar territory.

I agree with you. For those of you who feel safe here in the US check this out - I know it is outdated but the figures have been rising

:

http://santarosa-law.com/united-states-crime-map-2017/

I have been traveling to Mexico for over 50 years for vacations - yep I am that old (lol). Personally, I am more concerned about a terrorist attack (the DH and I returned from Barcelona over a month ago) and road rage on the freeway than going to Mexico. We keep our wits about us and carry on smartly.

It is about 20 minutes from the pier. This is a heavily traveled dual carriageway road that runs along the beach. The taxis you pick up from the dispatch point at the end of the pier and at these resorts are licensed and insured.At any given time this road is full of taxis going back and forth to all the other resorts on that road. You don't see much local traffic until you get back into downtown. I wouldn't give it a second thought, use your usual common sense travel knowledge.. I have always found the people there very warm and helpful.[/quote

Thank you so much for the details emdia43. The fact that the road is heavily traveled actually makes me feel more secure.

We will continue to monitor the news over the next couple months prior to sailing and definitely be aware and vigilant when traveling...

Thanks again:)

My DD and DIL are sailing in a few weeks. Second cruise for them and now they are paranoid. They asked me what I would do and I said get off the ship and enjoy. Just be aware of your surroundings. Funny thing is their first cruise was to Jamaica, which I love but I was a little more nervous there.

I love going to Mexico but too many issues all together with violence and tainted drinks keeps me from doing a land vacation there.

Friends of mine just came back from Cancun all inc. resort .

One of them got extremely sick from drinks then I watched the news and they listed the hotel as one that was getting investigated.

I don't understand why the tv media is including Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, I don't see it on the government website, unless I am missing it.

I agree, I just saw the other cities.

We just returned from Cozumel and had a fun time.

You never know though when traveling in other countries.

Were we worried, well not worried but did a ship sponsored trip to all inclusive.

Stayed with group.

Later

I agree, for us, we will be cruising in November and have been to Mexico many times, so most likely will stay on the ship, but for others, especially going to some of the more modern cities with lots of resorts, I think travel is safe, as long as, like you said one pays attention to what they are doing and where they are going.

As for Cozumel, like has been mentioned, they are built around tourism, they are not going to take a chance to have this ruined.

Edited by newmexicoNita