NCL Getaway Baltic Cruise 14/08/18

My wife and I have just walked back through our front door. We have returned from our Baltic Cruise on the Getaway.

I've used the forum, to pick the brains of Cruise Critic members, and feel it's only fair to return the favour. My review may not be as detailed as some, nor the grammar as good!! It's my opinion, and will differ from others, and I totally understand that.

So please feel free to ask any questions regarding my review etc. Will help / advise if I can.

We are a mid forties couple, completely new to cruising, so no bias to other cruise companies etc.

It's the thought of visiting lots of different countries, in a short space of time etc. We booked over a year ago, so the expectation was high, lots of planning and research.

So here goes....

We arrived at Copenhagen on the 12/08/17, flying on Ryanair out of Luton. I had booked the executive lounge to start the trip off. Ryanair would only allow us to drop our bags 2 hours before. Thus we only had 1 hour in the lounge instead of 2+. Previously with Ryanair we were able to drop our bags off much earlier. Just a heads up if you want to make the most of a executive lounge.

For the short time had in the lounge, it was good and worth the money. Because 3-4 drinks each, covers the cost before eating the breakfast/snacks. It was great way to start our holiday.

Arriving at Copenhagen around 2.30 we headed to our hotel. I looked into most hotels in the area in detail. Wanted something nice, practical etc. We opted for the Hilton at the airport, actually now part of the Clarion group. It's located at the airport. Easily accessible by the metro and trains, aprox 15 mins into the city centre which was so easy.

We originally booked a executive room, but when booking I mentioned that the trip was a special occasion, and on arrival we had been upgraded to the executive lounge, free drinks and snacks etc, might be worth trying if you book this hotel.

Once checked in etc, we headed off to Tivoli Gardens to spend the rest of Saturday. It's worth the fee, it's very unique, we did a few rides, the heavens opened, so we went to Biergarten, which was superb. Large steins of beer. Copenhagen is expensive. Aprox £8-10 for a large beer (pint). It rained for a few hours, so there we stayed great!!! Finally headed back to the hotel on the train, right opposite Tivoli.

Sunday in Copenhagen to follow...ASAP.

Hi, thanks for all replays...

Sorry about incorrect date!!! Dohhhh!!!

For our second day in Copenhagen, we opted firstly for one of the free city walking tours. Ideal to walk off the very good breakfast served at the Clarion. I booked the tour in advance, but you can just shop up.

We met at 11.00 by the city hall. Aprox 100 people turned up, but we were put into groups of 20ish. We set off with "Simon" His knowledge of Copenhagen was great, informed but light hearted. The tour lasted aprox 2.5 hours, but time flew by. The tour finished in gardens, by the Royal palace. We paid a good tip, as we felt the tour was excellent and very informative.

After a quick drink, we did a canal boat tour. This was booked in advance to save queuing. It was a real highlight of Copenhagen. Great fun, going under some of the bridges was really interesting!!! The audio from the commentator was not the best, but we did sit right at the back. It lasted about 1 hour, we got to see lots of sights and the little mermaid. The weather was great, although very windy so wrap up. Lots of great photos to be taken, particularly on the quiet canals were there some great house boats.

Following the canal tour we walked over to Copenhagen street food, google for more info. Looks really good on web etc. It was aprox 10 minute walk to get there from Nyhavn.

It was very busy, yes it is a bit rustic, but I would say dirty. Yet still relatively expensive. We found a table, cleaned it ourselves!! Food was ok..that's all.

After a few more drinks at a Irish pub, we headed back. A long day but enjoyable in particular the walk and boat tour. We had free drinks at the hotel, looking forward to embarkation the following day.

Dear Shrewsbury, Which Canal boat tour did you go on? There are two I think. Did you make a reservation on line? Did you pick it up in the Nyhaven area? We are looking at doing the same basic activities when we are in Copenhagen. I am trying to figure out what order to do everything in. Also when you say "street food", are you talking about Paper Island? I have heard that is really good. (I will also Google Copenhagen Street food) Thank you in advance for your answers and for coming back from the future to help us out! (Ha!).

Diane

Hi,

I booked the canal tour with Stromma, did this online. Cost was 80DKK per person from Nyhavn. No queue, I think they leave quite often. You get a confirmation email, take that to ticket booth, for a anytime ticket. Yes that's right about Street food, it's very busy, I suppose glad I went, but would not rush back. It does look good online. But we found it very dirty.

Cheers

At last the big day had arrived!!! We checked out of the hotel, not cheap but with access to the executive lounge was good for Copenhagen. Don't be put off by staying near airport, the journey in is short, like staying in London and using the tube!!

We got the metro to Norreport station, and caught bus 25 from there. All very easy, the bus was busy but journey was only 10mins or so.

We used city 24hours passes, which we bought from airport or station. On arriving at the terminal, it's a two minute walk to the terminal building. The first queue is for luggage tags, apparently you can print these in advance, I missed that one!! That took about 5mins. Next health questionnaire and loading your suitcases on conveyor. Through security, no liquids etc. Finally to check in desks, get given your passes etc and then onto the ship!!!

I found this operation slick, 20 mins from arriving at the terminal we were on the ship around 12.30. I prefer to use cash were I can, so I opened a cash account, as against using credit / debit card. I put $200 on my account, you can monitor it through your TV in your cabin.

Booking in the UK, meant we paid no 18% gratuities on UBP etc.

Following on from tips given on this forum, we headed to O'Sheehans instead of the etc buffet. The pub / bar was quiet served within seconds. We only used the buffet for a late night pizza stop. I wondered by most mornings, breakfast is just bun fight...total carnage!!! No manners just mass loading of plates, no care for other passengers. It's like no one has eaten before!!! The food is served luke warm at the very best!!!

We used Moderno, for a much quieter option most mornings. Not as much choice but ok for us.

Anyhow i deviated, we spent the rest of the afternoon taking advantage of our UBP, visited most bars and sampling cocktails and Heineken for me. Looking forward to our first dinner on the Getaway.

Booking in the UK, meant we paid no 18% gratuities on UBP etc.

Following on from tips given on this forum, we headed to O'Sheehans instead of the etc buffet. The pub / bar was quiet served within seconds. We only used the buffet for a late night pizza stop. I wondered by most mornings, breakfast is just bun fight...total carnage!!! No manners just mass loading of plates, no care for other passengers. It's like no one has eaten before!!! The food is served luke warm at the very best!!!

Enjoying your review and I like reading what others experienced while on this same itinerary - although mine was a month earlier (I am still in the process of writing mine). However, I have a question - is there an 18% charge on the meal package if booked through the UK, or is that just for the alcohol package?

Looking forward to reading the rest of it.

Enjoying your review and I like reading what others experienced while on this same itinerary - although mine was a month earlier (I am still in the process of writing mine). However, I have a question - is there an 18% charge on the meal package if booked through the UK, or is that just for the alcohol package?

Looking forward to reading the rest of it.

Hi,

I did not buy a meal package in advance. We just booked as we went. But we did pay 18% on top of that price. Your review is totally addictive!!!

Before dinner, we did the quiz at the Sugarcane Bar at 7.30. We love quizzes and did them every day. Apart from some issues with food which will appear later, the entertainment was the biggest gripe that we both had. I would describe most of at, as "Cheesy" in some parts very poor and tacky!!! The bias towards American themes is far to great!!

The quiz questions, repeated night after night, the "ghostbusters" theme song was an answer at least 4 times!!! We are 80's teenagers, so the thought of an 80's disco was right up our street. This was held mid cruise. This was on at the Bliss Lounge, we arrived to Madonna playing and what I would describe as cheesy style hosting why!!!!!! 10 songs later the songs repeated. We could not believe it. We visited all venues, and there was so much overlap, even some of the singers / bands were playing the same songs. That said, we did really like "Island Notes" they could play and sing!! and Bob Marley tribute on final night was an excellent.

Once again I've deviated, will come back to entertainment later. So off we went to the Tropicanna dining room. I personally think the room is lovely. Well laid out, a real good venue. We were served by "Tony" once again a class act. The food was ok, but our opinions changed as the cruise went on. I believe that the 3 dining rooms are served by same kitchen. The food once again never arrives hot a real problem on this ship. Perhaps cruising in general??? Throughout the cruise we never ate a good desert. They are so similar in the most part, tray bakes with different bland toppings.

Following dinner, a few drinks. We mainly visited Sugarcane or Sunset bars, the staff once again superb. Never waited more than minute for a drink. The UBP for us was a great addition. The waiter / waitress service again was superb!!

So we had Germany to look forward to in the morning..

Dear Shrewsbury, Which Canal boat tour did you go on? There are two I think. Did you make a reservation on line? Did you pick it up in the Nyhaven area? We are looking at doing the same basic activities when we are in Copenhagen. I am trying to figure out what order to do everything in. Also when you say "street food", are you talking about Paper Island? I have heard that is really good. (I will also Google Copenhagen Street food) Thank you in advance for your answers and for coming back from the future to help us out! (Ha!).

Diane

We were in same cruise last week and spent our arrival day as well wandering Copenhagen. We used the Netto boats for canal tour and believe they were half the price of the other tour mentioned. It was an hour ride with good commentary. Make sure you bring sweater or coat. Jet lag hit us by this time and son nodded off near the end!

Thank you! Skatie, did you make reservations in advance for the canal boat tour?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll give a second recommendation for the Netto boats. It's the best value you will get for 40kr in Copenhagen.

We just turned up and got on the next boat. They were operating every 20 minutes when we were there in July.

I'll give a second recommendation for the Netto boats. It's the best value you will get for 40kr in Copenhagen.

We just turned up and got on the next boat. They were operating every 20 minutes when we were there in July.

Thank you! This review is very helpful. Walking tour and canal boat tour-check!

We arrived in Germany to beautiful sunshine, we are going on the train to Rostock and then return to Warnemunde late afternoon. Apart ST Petersburg we are doing our own excursions, we both prefer the freedom that offers.

It's was a short walk from the ship to the train station, less than 10 mins. Leaving the ship was easy, straight off. The cost of the ticket was aprox 2 Euro each. Single tickets, were bought this allows the train to Rostock station, and then the tram from there to Neur Market, the old town area. Be careful of getting tram in right direction!!

The trains leave often, the journey was about 25mins. On arriving at the station, you can walk or use the trams. We arrived in Rostock around 11.00am. Had a lovely walk around. Lots of photos taken, not the most picturesque of places but really glad we visited. My mission was to grab a local beer at every port, so we found a lovely bar to fulfill this.

We found a lovely church to visit whilst walking back to the tram stop. We purchased tickets for our return journey. The pleasant surprise was Warnemunde, it was a picture postcard place. Stunning, I suppose the weather helped. We walked around for a few hours, sampled some more German beer and cocktails, a lot cheaper than Copenhagen!!!

We returned to the ship eventually, both agreeing to visit Warnemunde again!! We had dinner booked at Savour that evening. We prefer to eat late, so booked at 8.45. I booked several restaurants before we left home, you can always cancel if you change your mind.

A few pre dinner drinks as always, and off to dinner, the service was great again, but the food ok. We stayed out late that night, visiting several more bars etc. There was no port the next day, so took advantage with our UBP.

I've visited Germany lots, but really glad we saw something different in Warnemunde. Great place to relax and enjoy some culture and beer.

Looking forward to our sea day!!