Dates of Veendam dry dock?

mamadot

Extrapolating information from their web site, it's March 29-April 27.

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?deck=m&year=next&feShip=E

on a calendar i got from a friend who has access to it, it's march 30 to april 26....

looks like the 29th of March is a on/off day for the immediately-preceding 7-day cruise ending on the 29th.... (in tampa) and when all are off and things are set to go, the ship leaves (empty of guests) and heads for freeport, bahamas....

on the 26th of April, dry dock is over, they start a new cruise on the 27th..(from Ft lauderdale)... as long as everything goes as planned.....

on a calendar i got from a friend who has access to it, it's march 30 to april 26....

looks like the 29th of March is a on/off day for the immediately-preceding 7-day cruise ending on the 29th.... (in tampa) and when all are off and things are set to go, the ship leaves (empty of guests) and heads for freeport, bahamas....

on the 26th of April, dry dock is over, they start a new cruise on the 27th..(from Ft lauderdale)... as long as everything goes as planned.....

No, this is that situation where they shortened the March 22nd cruise to 5 days from 7 - justifiably upsetting the passengers booked on that cruise. So the (extensive) drydock would begin 2 days early.

No, this is that situation where they shortened the March 22nd cruise to 5 days from 7 - justifiably upsetting the passengers booked on that cruise. So the (extensive) drydock would begin 2 days early.

then the on/off day is the 27th? or 26th?

wow.

i'd be upset too.

i hope HAL issues some kind of compensation or something.........

• 2 months later...

wow.

i'd be upset too.

The off day is tomorrow, March 26th, and it appears that there are already around 20 half-size cargo containers waiting to be loaded onto the Veendam for her trip to drydock...I'm guessing supplies for part of the refurb.

It'll be done by June 7, right? That freaks me out a little bit, because that is when our cruise is going to leave!

All the new enhancements will be done by May 1 -- she heads to Alaska then

You will see lots of new things on your June sailing!!

Please come back and tell us all about them!!

Have a good cruise.

I was on the Carnival Fantasy after her extensive dry dock and the people who were on her right after she went back in the water were upset because they were still finishing things up for a couple of the cruises (Fantasy does 4 and 5 day trips), but by the time I was her a month later everything was completed and it was very nice being on a smaller ship that had just been spruced up.

So the Veendam will have had a month to work out the kinks before the June 7th cruise. Should be fine.

wow.

i'd be upset too.

So does anyone know if or what kind of compensation people have received for this?

This weekend :)

I've read all the dry dock info for the Signature of Excellence upgrades and they look wonderful. IMO, it seems as if the Veendam will now have a more contemporary feel. Am I right in my assumption?

Considering booking her for Bermuda next year. Thanks! ;)

The Veendam leaves FLL on May 1, transitting the Panama Canal to San Diego and on to Vancouver. They did chnage that cruises itinerary as it was shortened to leave May 1 and not April 27 as originally planned. The roll call thread for this cruise, which goes back over a year, has some upset pax.

We booked in January with the new itinerary, so we are fine with it. I will post about the refurbishments and if there is anything that they are continuing to work on.

There are other threads with picutres of the new aft pool. another controversial subject.

The final Veendam cruise before drydock (a shortened 5 day itinerary) was scheduled to return to Tampa this morning (Friday), according to what I heard when I was on the ship last week. Unfortunately, the presentation about the renovations that are planned for her drydock took place during our dinner time and we weren't able to go!

Kathy

We get on in San Diego, May 14. We are in one of the new catCA cabins on

promenade deck. I am really excited to see the changes. We were on last year

for this same cruise.

What will be different is that we are leaving at 2pm from San Diego and getting into

Vancouver at 12 noon.

Greg

The final Veendam cruise before drydock (a shortened 5 day itinerary) was scheduled to return to Tampa this morning (Friday), according to what I heard when I was on the ship last week. Unfortunately, the presentation about the renovations that are planned for her drydock took place during our dinner time and we weren't able to go!

Kathy

Yep, she was in Tampa today and was loaded up with 20 of the 8' x 20' cargo containers before she sailed off to her refurb around 2:30pm.

Below are links to a few pictures of the containers that were loaded directly onto the decks of the ship (I'm assuming they were supplies for the refurb)...you can see the cargo containers strapped onto the bow of the ship, as well as the deck beside the stacks and the rear decks.

They also loaded containers onto open pool deck area in the middle of the ship (where you see the group of people standing), but they can't be seen behind the glass sides.

2009-03-27 Veendam 005

2009-03-27 Veendam 007

2009-03-27 Veendam 004

It was definitely interesting to see all those cargo containers loaded onto a cruise ship! :)

quantumleap, I took the liberty of copying one of your photos here.

For those interested, here's a picture of the Veendam I took in 2000 in Barbados from the Volendam:

veendam2000.jpg

Notice the 'Veendam' lettering on the white part of the ship? They were neon lit, and were replaced with metal letters prior to the next picture.

There's no Spa addition above the Bridge, and other people may note some other differences.

veendam2009.jpg

(Photo courtesy of quantumleap)

There's now a metal plate behind the "Veendam" lettering which replaced the neon ship name.

For now, notice that there's no glass wall above the Crow's Nest on the Sky Deck. I haven't heard anything official, but I'd wager that the railing will be supplemented with the Glass Wall the way the most of the fleet has been during this dry dock.

Just though perhaps you'd all like to see a before and after from one of the prior SoE upgrades. :D

First cruise out of drydock leave Ft Lauderdale on April 1st.

We are booked on it and will try to write a review about it.

Ruth & Jm

Ooooh. You're doing an April Fool's early aren't you! :p You mean May 1st?

And I want to know if they put that 'cursed' glass wall on top of the Sky Deck! :D

Archived