Best cruise line for Western Mediterranean

Choosing a <10 night Western Mediterranean cruise in the first week of October is extremely difficult a full year in advance. The only cruise lines I am interested in are Princess, Celebrity, and Holland America and none of them meet the date and duration criteria. Those three criteria are not flexible because the reason to take this cruise is celebrate my mom's birthday on a ship in the Mediterranean -preferably Italy. So it looks like we have to settle for a not-so-good cruise line I would rather avoid if possible just because my mom can't take long cruises and has an early October birthday.

Of course, so many cruise lines are out there I don't want to assume only RCI is going to do what she wants when she wants to do it. Are there any better ships with fewer kids onboard that sail in this area the first week of October and start or end 7-night cruises in Civitavecchia?

What are the exact dates in Oct 2016 that you are considering? How many days total vacation time and how many days do you want allocated to the cruise? What ports are most important? Is there an embarkation port that is a must because you want to spend more time there?

A good TA can help you through these things if to you have an idea of how you would answer these questions. Also, if you give us an idea of how you would answer each of these questions, we might be able to help you narrow down the universe of cruises that you discuss with your TA.

What are the exact dates in Oct 2016 that you are considering? How many days total vacation time and how many days do you want allocated to the cruise? What ports are most important? Is there an embarkation port that is a must because you want to spend more time there?

A good TA can help you through these things if to you have an idea of how you would answer these questions. Also, if you give us an idea of how you would answer each of these questions, we might be able to help you narrow down the universe of cruises that you discuss with your TA.

1. October 6, 2016 must fall sometime during the cruise. That is Mom's 70th birthday.

2. Mom only said a maximum of 10 days for the cruise. Total vacation duration is TBD.

3. Several Italian ports including one for Florence. Barcelona can be anytime in cruise.

4. Embarkation or debarkation must be in Civitavecchia; a one way cruise is preferred.

Bruce, although I got some great answers in that thread, everyone talked about the general line vs. itinerary topic. What I want to know is are there any cruises on better ships that meet the date and duration criteria?

1. October 6, 2016 must fall sometime during the cruise. That is Mom's 70th birthday.

2. Mom only said a maximum of 10 days for the cruise. Total vacation duration is TBD.

3. Several Italian ports including one for Florence. Barcelona can be anytime in cruise.

4. Embarkation or debarkation must be in Civitavecchia; a one way cruise is preferred.

If you go back and read the info given to you, you will refresh that the definition of "better cruise lines" is very diverse, and doesn't lend itself to an absolute and final definition of "best".

It would have been nice to have these additional criteria when you asked this question.

Secondly, the cruise line schedules are set. You need to decide what flexibility you bring to the table. This involves research by you- and perhaps a Travel Agent- to decide what works for you and your Mom.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I don't think there is such a thing as a bad cruise line, there is a cruise line that fits everyone criteria and expectations. I happen to like the 3 lines listed by the OP but there are many other lines that cruise the Western Med. It really is a matter of doing your due diligence and making a decision, I don't think there is any one best.

None of us know you or your Mom.

Trying to give you a recommendation that you will be happy with is therefore no easy task.

And a best cruise line for you might not be what is best for me or someone who has posted.

My recommendation is that you get the help of a travel agent who specializes in Cruising.

Keith

I can see your issue now. There really isn't anything that does exactly what you desire (unless one of the Italian cruise lines does, but I didn't look that closely at them). Epic has a seven day, but ends a day short....would Mom like a nice dinner in Rome for her birthday? The Royal Cruise is probably the closest, but you would either have to leave a day early in La Spezia and go to Florence from there. Or perhaps, just go back to Rome and then take a train and do Florence by land at the end of the cruise. Azamara also has one that fits the dates, but doesn't go to Florence. It does overnight in Sorrento.

The HAL, Princess and Celebrity ships all seem to run longer itineraries, don't start or end in Rome, or if length of cruise is under 10 days - they go to Greece.

In August - there is a Celebrity and a Princess that do a Rome/Barcelona or vice versa with Florence. Also an Oceania that also does a Barcelona to Rome (or vice versa can't remember which way it's going) that has a port stay in Florence until 11 p.m (which I know from your other messages a long port stop there was important). All are 10 days or less.

Edited by buggins0402

I can see your issue now. There really isn't anything that does exactly what you desire (unless one of the Italian cruise lines does, but I didn't look that closely at them). Epic has a seven day, but ends a day short....would Mom like a nice dinner in Rome for her birthday? The Royal Cruise is probably the closest, but you would either have to leave a day early in La Spezia and go to Florence from there. Or perhaps, just go back to Rome and then take a train and do Florence by land at the end of the cruise. Azamara also has one that fits the dates, but doesn't go to Florence. It does overnight in Sorrento.

The HAL, Princess and Celebrity ships all seem to run longer itineraries, don't start or end in Rome, or if length of cruise is under 10 days - they go to Greece.

In August - there is a Celebrity and a Princess that do a Rome/Barcelona or vice versa with Florence. Also an Oceania that also does a Barcelona to Rome (or vice versa can't remember which way it's going) that has a port stay in Florence until 11 p.m (which I know from your other messages a long port stop there was important). All are 10 days or less.

I got another idea for that: Fly into Florence, stay a few days, and take a train to Rome to stay several days there. But that does not fix the date issue.

Is Sorrento in Tuscany?

I got another idea for that: Fly into Florence, stay a few days, and take a train to Rome to stay several days there. But that does not fix the date issue.

Is Sorrento in Tuscany?

No, it's on the Amalfi Coast, just south of Naples. From there one can go north to Pompeii or go south to Positano/Amalfi. Also Capri.

Just remembered that the Azamara cruise does not do Barcelona. But, it fits in that it is very heavy Italy, dates, no kids.

The Royal Caribbean cruise that r/t's Rome does fit with dates...except it does La Spezia instead of Florence. You would have to do Florence separately, somehow.

Why not look at a map and determine exactly where you want to go and what you want to see? Then compare to the cruise line itineraries.

We would never want to plan a visit to Rome or Florence based upon a one day cruise stop. Both are some distance away from the port. You will not really get the right experience by rushing in and out of these cities, let alone the wonderful sense at dusk when the daytrippers are gone, the lights are twinkling, and the tratorias etc. are opening.

Why don't you put aside the idea of a traditional cruise, and script your own, using ferries. They are all over the Med, Adriatic...They usually travel overnight and have restaurants, plus basic cabins. Look at MarineTraffic.com

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:281658/zoom:10

and you will see dotted blue lines going all over the place. Those are ferry routes. There is even one between Barcelona and Civitavecchia. It's a much longer trip, though. Check out this site for some routes:

http://www.ferrylines.com/

Sometimes the only way is to think outside the box, pack light, and have an adventure. Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports to see how to do sightseeing on your own.

Moby Wonder in Livorno

BG-7.jpg

Moby Vincent, also in Livorno

BG-6.jpg

Here is what I got when I put in Barcelona to Civitavecchia:

http://www.ferrylines.com/en/ferries/search-results-on-map/

A 20 hour voyage - think of it as a sea day.

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Most good Med cruises are at least 12 days, often going between Barcelona and Rome.Find one that hits all the countries.Any shorter cruise may tire Mom. It can take a little time to recover from long flights.I no longer do land trips to Europe; they are just too pricey.On a cruise you know what you are getting too. Both Rome and Florence are NOT on the ocean. You will be in port most of the time so a more luxurious ship/cabin not necessary. Above poster talks of the V site which is excellent. His post maybe deleted so note it.I find Celebrity best for Europe. Quality at close to same pricing as budget lines.

A few years ago we cruised the Adriatic via local ferry. Ferry from Ancona, Italy to Split. Then a number of Jadrolina ferries down the coast (day trips) with numerous stops along the way. Then back to Bari, Italy on ferry.

We plan to do this trip again. It gave us the opportunity to spend several days in each port vs a quickie 6 hour stop with a cruise ship.

We are doing exactly this in the Eastern Med this Sept. Flying to Athens and spending five weeks in the Greek Islands via ferry from one island to another.

Edited by iancal