Problems with Vertigo?

Ronbo53

I've always wanted to take my wife on a cruise. We've talked about it for years, but about 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with Meniere's. It manifests itself sometimes with severe bouts of vertigo. I've been lucky for several months because I've had no attacks. Are there any travelers out there that have vertigo issues, & does the movement of the ship bother you? I know you can take medications, but I'd rather not. My friends tell me that ships are self-planing & you can't hardly tell you're moving if you pick the right season. I'd love to go but don't want to be sick the whole time.

I have occasional positional vertigo. I got the patches for motion sickness from my doctor for my cruise. The day we flew to Miami, I woke up with vertigo. I put the patch on before we left for the airport. I was completely relieved of my vertigo about 30 minutes into my first flight and was fine throughout the cruise.

First of all...welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yours is the type of question that I think you would be best to speak with your health care provider about. I am sure that you could get medications that would help you enjoy a cruise but this best discussed with a professional...no one here knows your medical history.

My SIL has meniere's. She has cruised several times. I would discuss with your doc if you should take something pre cruise or just bring something along in case of an attack. We are all different and what works for some folks won't work for others.

My wife suffers a similar condition.

Please speak to your Dr.

However she swears by Ginger, ginger tablets, ginger tea, ginger pieces. she is adamant that they help.

We are also very careful about cabin choice.

Just in a related vein, DW was diagnosed with Menieres many years ago and always carried a supply of Meclizine (Bonine) in case of attacks. Then 2 years ago she happened to go to a top Ear, nose, throat physician (for another ailment) and mentioned her Menieres. After he listened to her story he was suspicious and did some sophisticated tests. He then explained that she had been mis-diagnosed with Menieres and actually had a form of positional vertigo. After 2 treatments with the relatively simple Epley Maneuver her problem was completely resolved. No more drugs, no more dizziness, etc. Go figure.

Ironically, despite spending several years on cruise ships (as a passenger) DW had never had a vertigo attack on any ship.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I do agree about speaking to your doctor as to what may be the best course of action. So very tru that what works for one person, may not for another. Sometimes it is trial and error to find what works the best. In my case, I suffer from positional vertigo. Gravol ( I think Bonine is the US equivalent) and a decongestant usually work well for me.

Just in a related vein, DW was diagnosed with Menieres many years ago and always carried a supply of Meclizine (Bonine) in case of attacks. Then 2 years ago she happened to go to a top Ear, nose, throat physician (for another ailment) and mentioned her Menieres. After he listened to her story he was suspicious and did some sophisticated tests. He then explained that she had been mis-diagnosed with Menieres and actually had a form of positional vertigo. After 2 treatments with the relatively simple Epley Maneuver her problem was completely resolved. No more drugs, no more dizziness, etc. Go figure.

Ironically, despite spending several years on cruise ships (as a passenger) DW had never had a vertigo attack on any ship.

Hank

I have the same thing, BPPV, Epley Maneuver takes care of it for weeks, months or sometimes years. Ship has never triggered an attack. But I do agree, ask you doctor if there is something to take with you. Sudden movement is the trigger and ship movement is more gradual and rolling. Good luck.

My husband has an urge to throw himself into the void.

When we first board, he can't go anywhere near the side. Progressively, however, he can. He liked the Silhouette as there are glass screens. On the Connie however, he found the barriers a bit low. He got over it though. He went onto the balcony after several days too. We were on tbe eleventh deck too. We liked the sunset verandas as we looked down on the other balconies and they made it seem as if he hadn't far to fall.

You could try that.

We never find that the ship moves! It does of course but if you pick your cruise carefully, you should be ok. No transatlantic in November for example.

Good luck. It would be such a shame if you could not enjoy the pleasure of cruising.