TA - If it was just 4 days ?

Winchester Ranger

It has always been about the bottom line - on both sides. The passengers want the biggest bang for their buck: if the bang they want is a fast crossing, they will fly. The lines are intelligent enough to know that they could not sell enough berths at high enough prices to fill a ship large enough to operate profitably on three or four day crossings.

BA and Air France learned (slower than the U.S., who opted out of developing the equipment) that offering supersonic trans-Atlantic flights did not represent a profitable enterprise.

Cunard knows that there is not a sufficient market for week-long crossings to operate a year-round "shuttle", so they alternate itineraries.

But it is over-simplistic to say they they "make it 'cheap' and fill the seats" - they offer multi-tiered accomodations, including suites, the "Grills", etc. - which are hardly efforts to make it "cheap"; rather,mother are offering what we, the customer base want - and, more important, are willing to pay for.

If we were willing to pay for four day crossings, there would be four day crossings--- end of story.

I agree with all your points. Just because I want faster crossings doesn't mean I will get them. Cunard/Carnival is targeting marketing to people who have never had the speed or service of past eras. Who can blame them? That is the future.

It has always been about the bottom line - on both sides. The passengers want the biggest bang for their buck: if the bang they want is a fast crossing, they will fly. The lines are intelligent enough to know that they could not sell enough berths at high enough prices to fill a ship large enough to operate profitably on three or four day crossings.

BA and Air France learned (slower than the U.S., who opted out of developing the equipment) that offering supersonic trans-Atlantic flights did not represent a profitable enterprise.

Cunard knows that there is not a sufficient market for week-long crossings to operate a year-round "shuttle", so they alternate itineraries.

But it is over-simplistic to say they they "make it 'cheap' and fill the seats" - they offer multi-tiered accomodations, including suites, the "Grills", etc. - which are hardly efforts to make it "cheap"; rather,mother are offering what we, the customer base want - and, more important, are willing to pay for.

If we were willing to pay for four day crossings, there would be four day crossings--- end of story.

Agree completely. What the customer is willing to pay for, the cruise lines will provide. What I can't figure out is how they could provide longer port calls on trans-Atlantic cruises between NY and Soton at a reasonable cost!:D

Funny you should mention that. I was there for it. The boat had water compensated fuel tanks, like an old diesel submarine, where as you burn fuel from the tank, you take in water to the tank, so that the ship's displacement, trim, and stability are unaffected.

Fascinating to finally get the true story - I clearly recall the good old Beeb gleefully reporting that the team had procured cheap water contaminated fuel from the Fred Bloggs Diesel company or some such.

Bouncing across the Atlantic at 40 -50 knots in a high powered speed boat could not have been much fun for the occupants, I would not envy them that experience for 3 days plus.

Fascinating to finally get the true story - I clearly recall the good old Beeb gleefully reporting that the team had procured cheap water contaminated fuel from the Fred Bloggs Diesel company or some such.

Bouncing across the Atlantic at 40 -50 knots in a high powered speed boat could not have been much fun for the occupants, I would not envy them that experience for 3 days plus.

If memory serves me, one of the crew, despite 6-point harnesses and hydraulically mounted seats, managed to smash out his front teeth on the instrument panel. Now that was uncomfortable! :eek: