Queen Mary in the Movies & TV

Cruise Liner Fan

The Queen Mary has been in films and on TV. Such as being filmed as the Titanic in the movie S.O.S. Titanic, In a movie with Frank Sinatra titled Assault On A Queen, In an episode of the TV series titled The X-Files and of course the movie The Poseidon Adventure. There are others that I can't think of and does anyone know if the Queen Mary was used in the made for TV movie Goliath Awaits? Here is a youtube link to another made for TV movie that was filmed aboard Queen Mary titled Adventures of the Queen that was first shown on TV in 1975

Since this youtube video is only about 8 minutes of the movie which has a running time of 98 minutes does anyone here know where the entire movie is available to be viewed whether on-line or if it is available on DVD? And also what are the other films and TV shows that the Queen Mary is in. Regards,Jerry

Parts of the pilot episode of the Love Boat was filmed on the Queen Mary. Exterior shots and pier side shots were of the (Pacific/Island Princess) however outdoor deck shots were filmed on the Queen Mary. The episode is on You Tube.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been many over the years, especially in the '70s when it became a hotel. One of my favourites is "The Gumball Rally". But my absolute favourite is an unknown film called "Deadline Auto Theft", which was shot there in 1982. It stars Hoyt Axton as a police captain on the trail of a car thief. Unfortunately the interior of the ship is not used but there are many scenes on deck (including a mock dining area on the bow!) and around the property, particularly the main car park. Sadly it's all changed now. Here are some shots from the trailer:

J5_zpsdpdhzyx4.jpg

J1_zpsbrrj0jul.jpg

J6_zpsmadyrn6k.jpg

J3_zps0ojgnkme.jpg

J2_zpsxutqdfdr.jpg

J7_zpspxqclpje.jpg

I recently watched "Goliath Awaits", but I'm not certain anything was shot on QM. I have to watch it again!

Another movie that featured some of her interiors was "Out to Sea" with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau, although the ship portrayed was HAL's former Westerdam (Home Lines "Homeric").

There's even a Queen Mary reference in The Shawshank Redemption.

At the end of the movie when Red goes and digs up the box that Andy left for him, the money is in a Queen Mary candy tin.

For fans of the original Queen Mary now docked in Long Beach, I highly recommend the Art Deco Festival sponsored by the Art Deco Society of LA and held on board every Labor Day Weekend. We've been to the festival 4 times (and we live in Boston) and it is always great. Lectures, tours, dancing, dinner, cocktails and many dressed in vintage attire. We'd go again this year but we'll be on the QM2.

We tend to divide our Labor Days: either on the QM or on the QM2. So far 4 festivals and 4 crossings in the past 8 years. Life is good!

I think one of the ghost chaser shows was aboard one of my visits filming and looking for ghosts on the ship. I remember the ghost night tour in the gutted out inner ship and the tour guide describing the ghost encounters that guests had talked about. Sad that I didn't get to see any ghosts but I did get to see the empty engine rooms and the pool. I think they should open the pool again but seems there is no money to renovate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic but on ITV I've just watched an episode of Murder She Wrote - My Johnny Lies over the Ocean - filmed aboard the Queen Mary. Lovely ship and they had a really smooth sailing ;)

An episode from Hercule Poirot (with David Suchet) entitled "The Million Dollar Bond Robbery" has Poirot and Hastings aboard the Queen Mary. Not sure where they did the on-board scenes, but they do use old newsreels of the QM as part of the show.

• 3 years later...

The Queen Mary also appears towards the end of the original Sabrina (1954 - starring Bogart and Hepburn, not the 1995 Harrison Ford one which I admit to loving a great deal) as Linus jumps a tug boat to catch Sabrina who he sent away on the Mary to Europe so his brother wouldn't marry her.