1 Person - 2 bottles of Rum

OceanMonarch

Towards the end of the TA voyage Cunard have a great offer on spirits, 2 for 1 on a varied selection of rum, vodka etc. only $25.00 for 2 bottles of Captain Morgan dark rum. What a deal! (they do not sell this in the US for some reason).

My question is, as a solo passenger how much is the US customs tax, if you take in 2 bottles of spirits?

"Generally, one liter of alcohol per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more..." copied in part from https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/kw/customs%20per%20person%20limit%20exemption <---see that site for additional info regarding accessing tax for additional amounts of booze at the port of entry

Thank you Salacia for the info.

It also appears that there is a different import allowance for each state. I read this on an old thread.

Another wrinkle is that state laws on importation of liquor may be more restrictive than the federal laws. When I return to the US from overseas my point of entry is usually Philadelphia, and PA restricts how much alcohol one can carry into the state (for a couple it comes to about 3 bottles of wine). Even though Federal law is much less restrictive, CBP will enforce the state law applicable where the entry point is located. Underwatr

Since the point of entry is New Jersey does anybody know the permitted allowance in NJ?

It seems the duty is $1.32 per liter (taken from the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2015) (Rev. 1). Perhaps the low rate is why US Customs aren't too strict when you only bring in a small extra amount of alcohol:) But, I will always declare any extra, just in case.

Rum and other spirits obtained by distilling fermented

sugar-cane products:

In containers each holding not over 4 liters:

2208.40.20 00 Valued not over $3 per proof liter........................... $1.32/pf.

liter 1/

Free (A+, BH, CA,

CL, D, E, IL, MX, P,

PA, PE, SG)

7.1¢/pf. liter (OM)

7.9¢/pf. liter (MA)

9.1¢/pf. liter (AU)

10.1¢/pf. liter (KR)

10.5¢/pf. liter (JO)

17.3¢/pf. liter

(CO) 1/

pf.liters...... 23.7¢/pf.liter 1/

2208.40.40 00 Valued over $3 per proof liter.................................. $1.32/pf.

liter 1/

pf.liters...... Free 1/

Since the point of entry is New Jersey does anybody know the permitted allowance...

The liquor laws in New Jersey are somewhat more complex than graduate level courses in quantum mechanics, having evolved since the day a tavern owner started producing cider according to George Washington's recipe (or so the mythology says). However, I believe that there is no limit on how much an individual can import, but bringing in more than a few gallons (3?? Don't know exactly, but it is more than a few bottles) requires a license.

I have brought back a couple of bottles before - Scotch that is not sold in the U.S. - declared the excess on the Customs form and had the agent waive the duty. That is, however, only one data point, so it in no way constitutes a pattern.

Since the point of entry is New Jersey does anybody know the permitted allowance in NJ?
On a Cunard voyage in this area the port of entry is typically Brooklyn, NY. Of course if you're cruising with a different line you might be disembarking in Port Liberty which is in NJ.

This topic is interesting to me. Thank you for bringing it up.

I never even thought about the ports of entry being in different states and the duty you have to pay based on not only national law but also state laws.

It also made me think that I may be a criminal several times over.

Each time on a voyage on Cunard, I have been provided 2 bottles liter size of spirits which I generally barely touch and then pack and bring home, I might have broken the law and not declared them. I was thinking they were part of the purchase of the cruise which I purchased in the USA. So I was thinking I already paid the taxes and fees ??

Am I wrong??