Queen Mary 2- Internet, Wi-Fi

S&G1968

I realize that at-sea internet speeds are slow, it was for me last year on the QM2.

I was wondering if anyone can advise if the Wi-Fi system has improved... leaving Thursday and was wondering if it was still painfully slow or has it been enhanced a bit.

Steve

I realize that at-sea internet speeds are slow, it was for me last year on the QM2.

I was wondering if anyone can advise if the Wi-Fi system has improved... leaving Thursday and was wondering if it was still painfully slow or has it been enhanced a bit.

Steve

Still the same, I find it best to write emails etc prior to logging in and after logging in and emails sent to verify I have logout.com in browser.

I use an I pad and found the wifi useless in the cabin (deck 11 mid ships) so always went to Connections where I had no problems. There are notices stating that the speeds on the ship are much slower than broadband and downloading the Times newspaper took a few minutes including images. Same at home almost instantaneous.

David.

We were on the QMII in April for 15 days. Sad to report no improvement in internet/WIFI speed. Also no difference from other cruise lines. Just lower your expectations.

One thing I should have mentioned - but forgot since it didn't apply to me - were the widespread reception problems with Apple devices. From what I'm told (don't know if it is fact or myth) Apple devices have weaker wifi reception in order to conserve battery life. Many had to open their stateroom doors to get reception and I saw some seated on the stairways as they worked on their devices. One of my table mates went to the Concierge Lounge since the signal was strong there.

Now with my Windows laptop, I have absolutely no problem with signal in my stateroom or even on my balcony.

One thing I should have mentioned - but forgot since it didn't apply to me - were the widespread reception problems with Apple devices. From what I'm told (don't know if it is fact or myth) Apple devices have weaker wifi reception in order to conserve battery life. Many had to open their stateroom doors to get reception and I saw some seated on the stairways as they worked on their devices. One of my table mates went to the Concierge Lounge since the signal was strong there.

Now with my Windows laptop, I have absolutely no problem with signal in my stateroom or even on my balcony.

I've had no problems with either my MacBook Air or my iPad. However, there is no question that the reception is better in some staterooms than in others.

I use an I pad and found the wifi useless in the cabin (deck 11 mid ships) so always went to Connections where I had no problems. There are notices stating that the speeds on the ship are much slower than broadband and downloading the Times newspaper took a few minutes including images. Same at home almost instantaneous.

David.

Good morning David.

What a coincidence, I too was on Deck 11...

19672740098_aee4c6ce57_z.jpg

I too found the wifi thereabouts not very good which was odd because on my last voyage on 12 Deck (Britannia Club) it was near perfect - for a ship that is.

Never had any problem in the Connections computer room however and would often be there alone early morning playing on my MacBook Air while I downloaded The Telegraph & Daily mail onto my iPad.

Not a complaint but would have appreciated the Connections coffee stations to have been open earlier. :)

Totally agree Bob. See my comment above re Deck 11 and Deck 12 differences.

Thats handy to know re Deck 12 as we are on that deck (Britannia Club) in Dec/Jan. Havn't been able to get online in Stateroom before.

Did you enjoy this Deck and also Britannia Club?, we are in A1 cat.

Thats handy to know re Deck 12 as we are on that deck (Britannia Club) in Dec/Jan. Havn't been able to get online in Stateroom before.

Did you enjoy this Deck and also Britannia Club?, we are in A1 cat.

Hi Azafran.

It's a great deck, done it twice now. Britannia Club is also a great Restaurant with

open seating for all meals including embarkation day lunch. Two reviews i have done...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/10/11/queen-mary-2-scandinavian-explorer/

and...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/11/21/solo-trans-atlantic-live-blog-day-2/

Many thanks Solent Richard, your reviews were very informative.

We last travelled on QM2 in PG, some years ago I hasten to add, so it was nice to read about the Britannia Club cabins/service etc, really looking forward to our cruise even more now.

Waiting for the excursions to come on line for sale now. Altho we have been to the Caribbean a bit, NY is new and would at least like to see some highlights on the 2 day change over at the beginning and end of the Caribbean part, after and before the TA part.

Thank you again for your reply

One big problem we had on our last T/A was that the Wi-Fi connection would drop-out and then we could not log back in as the system was overloaded. When we finally did get back in a few hours later, it would tell us that we had used up all our minutes and needed to purchase more time. Since we never logged out, the counter just kept on running.

Every other day we would have to go to the computer center and have them put the minutes back on our account. It was especially annoying when we finally could get on, find we had no minutes, and the computer center was closed. We finally developed a strategy where we would alternate accounts, mine on even days and my wife's on odd days so one of us always had minutes. (We each get free minutes for World Club.) I just hope it's better when we're on again next month. I am self-employed and need the Wi-Fi to check in with my clients and staff. They get anxious if I'm incommunicado for too long.

One big problem we had on our last T/A was that the Wi-Fi connection would drop-out and then we could not log back in as the system was overloaded. When we finally did get back in a few hours later, it would tell us that we had used up all our minutes and needed to purchase more time. Since we never logged out, the counter just kept on running.

Every other day we would have to go to the computer center and have them put the minutes back on our account. It was especially annoying when we finally could get on, find we had no minutes, and the computer center was closed. We finally developed a strategy where we would alternate accounts, mine on even days and my wife's on odd days so one of us always had minutes. (We each get free minutes for World Club.) I just hope it's better when we're on again next month. I am self-employed and need the Wi-Fi to check in with my clients and staff. They get anxious if I'm incommunicado for too long.

Good morning Q-Step.

As I and Balf have said earlier, if your stateroom doesn't give you good wifi - and there are obviously some that don't - head down to the Connections room as early as possible.

I could download two UK newspaper e-editions (Telegraph and Daily Mail) and up and download all my emails in less than 10 minutes.

Not a complaint but a shame the Connections coffee machines don't open that early. :)

One big problem we had on our last T/A was that the Wi-Fi connection would drop-out and then we could not log back in as the system was overloaded. When we finally did get back in a few hours later, it would tell us that we had used up all our minutes and needed to purchase more time. Since we never logged out, the counter just kept on running. QUOTE

The counter should only run when you are connected to the Internet. I got into the habit of turning off wifi in my tablets settings, just to be double sure.

David.

The counter should only run when you are connected to the Internet.

True, but if you don't log off before turning off your wireless it takes the system a while to figure out you're no longer connected, and the clock continues to run until it does. I've heard (somewhere) it can be about 15 minutes before your connection is finally terminated.

True, but if you don't log off before turning off your wireless it takes the system a while to figure out you're no longer connected, and the clock continues to run until it does. I've heard (somewhere) it can be about 15 minutes before your connection is finally terminated.

Indeed, thats why one should always type LOGOUT.COM into the address bar (browser) a couple of times. To make certain that your not keeping that counter ticking.

If you get redirected to the log in page again, then you know your logged out.

Edited by Pennbank

Indeed, thats why one should always type LOGOUT.COM into the address bar (browser) a couple of times. To make certain that your not keeping that counter ticking.

If you get redirected to the log in page again, then you know your logged out.

For your own devices, get the IT suite manager to install a Cunard 'Log in' and 'Log out' app onto your own computer.

It works for all three ships. It's much quicker to use and guarantees an easy log off.

For your own devices, get the IT suite manager to install a Cunard 'Log in' and 'Log out' app onto your own computer.

It works for all three ships. It's much quicker to use and guarantees an easy log off.

It may be quicker, but even that will not guarantee that the connection has been disconnected, you may have lost the signal just prior to selecting it.

the only 100% way is type LOGOUT.COM into the addresses bar (Browser) a few times, if it comes up with the login page then you are disconnected.

It may be quicker, but even that will not guarantee that the connection has been disconnected, you may have lost the signal just prior to selecting it.

the only 100% way is type LOGOUT.COM into the addresses bar (Browser) a few times, if it comes up with the login page then you are disconnected.

Take that up with the IT manager.

I asked a similar question and he said the function is exactly the same as the LOGOUT.com