Regatta Dining Question

DaisyUK

Apologies if this has been asked and answered previously - I have searched, but came up with nothing. Looking at an Alaskan cruise and had ruled out Oceania (am worried about reduced dining choices and also accommodation) but am still on the fence. Do any of the dishes from the O class ships show up on the R class menus? I'm aware of the fact that they will on Sirena, but am wondering about Regatta in particular?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered previously - I have searched, but came up with nothing. Looking at an Alaskan cruise and had ruled out Oceania (am worried about reduced dining choices and also accommodation) but am still on the fence. Do any of the dishes from the O class ships show up on the R class menus? I'm aware of the fact that they will on Sirena, but am wondering about Regatta in particular?

Food on Regatta is great. Plenty of options. And you can get Polo and Red Ginger choices in the MDR.

Note too that Regatta's smaller ship size gets you very "up close and personal" with the Hubbard Glacier.

Looking at os, and am thinking that Regatta can't live up to Riviera but sounds like I could be wrong. Also slightly concerned that Seattle-Seattle may not be the best itinerary. Thank you for the responses. Even more confused now!

Looking at os, and am thinking that Regatta can't live up to Riviera but sounds like I could be wrong. Also slightly concerned that Seattle-Seattle may not be the best itinerary. Thank you for the responses. Even more confused now!

Daisy, there are lots of people who prefer the smaller ships. I myself am ambivalent -- I see the advantages of each. So you should not assume that Regatta can't live up to Riviera. Maybe for you it will -- but maybe not.

Yes, it's much smaller. Fewer specialty choices (which doesn't matter much to us since we rarely use all the reservations we are alloted anyway) ... cabins are smaller. If you are in an OS or VS on an "R" ship I think you would find it very spacious -- smaller than the equivalent on the "O" ships, yes, but lovely. If you opt for less expensive digs, yes, you'll see the rooms are smaller.

The only way for you to know if an "R" ship is a good fit is to try one out!

And for Alaska, I think you are better off with the smaller ships.

Mura

Thanks again for the responses - I really appreciate the first-hand advice.

I had decided against Oceania, primarily for what will seem like a completely ridiculous reason to many (most) - the lack of a bath tub in the os and the lack of space in the ph bathroom, coupled with the fact that there would be fewer dining choices (than on Riviera or Marina, but not fewer than SB or Regent, as it turns out). I have also read some pretty damning reviews of Regatta, here on CC. To be fair though, there are some poor reviews for Regent and SB also.

Having done a huge amount of research and cost comparisons, I think I have come full circle. The smoking policy on SB scares me. Regent could be a fit, but I keep coming back to the food on Oceania - plus, as has been mentioned in this thread, the size of Regatta for Alaska.

And then I posted this question and read that there is a Jacques/Red Ginger dish available in the MDR each evening and so I think I'm sold. All I have to do now is decide between the ph with a bath and the os without.

Good morning DaisyUK - just to throw in my tuppence worth.

We cruised Regatta to Alaska couple of years ago. I much prefer the MDR on this ship than on the O ships (I think it's a beautiful space and the chairs are so comfortable) and we enjoyed many dinners at a table for two with the backdrop of what Alaska does best - the scenery! Good choices as someone said every night from the Jacques and Red Ginger - in fact this was when I first tasted the famous miso glazed sea bass and having now had it several times, it was the best there!

The PH is smaller than the O ships, but suited us as we found we were out and about quite a lot and up on deck, but I loved being able to lie on the bed and watch the sun setting - at midnight! I would point out if you hadn't noticed already, there is no walk in wardrobe and that for me was a real pain as there just wasn't enough storage - with all the stuff you "think" you need for Alaska! :rolleyes:

The bathroom is smaller and the bath is probably a bit smaller than normal UK bath size. The shower is in the bath with a fixed plastic (?) screen. So you have to be sure of foot to get in and out but there are handrails and we never found it an issue. Be careful in your choice if you go for a PH, I think the ones more forward are squarer and a better space (I seem to remember J and S pointing this out) but avoid the one midship as it interconnects (8022) with the next door concierge. Bring a hat and gloves for the glacier days, it was incredible how the temperature dropped so quickly the closer to the ice we got!

We did a 14 day and I could have done another 14 days - it was a one off itinerary that I've not seen repeated which is a shame as it went all the way over the gulf of Alaska to Kodiak with a couple of sea days thrown in and no repeat ports of call.

Our butler was great and would have our afternoon tea waiting for us when we got back from our tours - made in a pot! ;) - nothing was too much trouble.

It is a smaller ship with clearly not the same space as the O ships, but for Alaska, it would be our choice again. In an OS, the views would be amazing if you don't mind being aft and as I'm a shower girl, I'd most likely go for the OS! :)

(Btw, we did Seabourn and as an avid smoke hater, smoking was not an issue for us unlike Regent, but that's a story for another day!)

Daisy, I am one who did not consider the removal of the jacuzzi from the Owners and Vista Suites to be an improvement but it may be that US-ers favor showers in general (especially BIG ones) while Brits favor tubs. (We had a British couple in our cooperative apartment building in NYC who were insistent on being able to use their tub.) But personally if money were no object I'd go for the OS over a PH. I don't consider the PH bathroom all that small on the "R" ships but it definitely is much smaller than the bathroom in the two top suites. I admit that I find the bathroom in the veranda suites claustrophobic.

The one time we were in an OS on Regatta (a long time ago) I loved the aft view ...

As to the closet space in the PH, we also found it to be more than ample ... again, not nearly as large the space in the OS or VS, but plenty big enough for us. I guess it will depend on how much you usually bring with you ... At least on Oceania we don't have to worry about formal evenings!

We did Alaska in 1990 on a Princess ship, we were in a very small room. It had bunk beds (!) and a porthole ... but I don't recall that even that room was a problem in terms of closet and drawer space. Then again, I was a lot younger then ...

Mura

Regatta is probably the best ship of for Alaska... You will have more excellent food than you can handle it is an intensive port cruise and you would have to give up some exploring... If you base your decision on getting the most for your money.... You just shot yourself in the foot...

Giving up a 600 pax ship for 1200 will give you more less frequently/ The cabins are great... best choice is entire a penthouse or an inside/

I sincerely think you are totally missing the big picture of seeing Alaska up close , away from the crowds........ If cabin and food is your biggest concern, Then don't waste your time on Alaska as you will be out sync with the region

Regatta is probably the best ship of for Alaska... You will have more excellent food than you can handle it is an intensive port cruise and you would have to give up some exploring... If you base your decision on getting the most for your money.... You just shot yourself in the foot...

Giving up a 600 pax ship for 1200 will give you more less frequently/ The cabins are great... best choice is entire a penthouse or an inside/

I sincerely think you are totally missing the big picture of seeing Alaska up close , away from the crowds........ If cabin and food is your biggest concern, Then don't waste your time on Alaska as you will be out sync with the region

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond. I have read your recent review of Alaska, and it sounds like you had a fantastic cruise.

I don't believe I have mentioned a 1200 pax ship. The ones I am considering are Regatta (694 pax), Mariner (700 pax) and Sojourn (450 pax). All have good itineraries, with Sojourn probably having the best/most comprehensive. All have good accommodations, all have good food, and all are at a very similar price point. All these things being more or less equal, the accommodation and food are important to us, although I realise that this may not be the case for everyone.

Not sure why you say the best cabin is either the penthouse or the inside. For us it is most definitely definitely between an os and a ph.

I think having taken everything into account, we are back to Oceania. We love Oceania and it's about time we tried one of the smaller ships as there are other itineraries which we would like to try where only the smaller ships go.

Daisy, as for cabin selection, we were in a Vista Suite on Regatta and it was fabulous. Very spacious, large bath with big walk in shower, separate powder room, plenty of storage etc. Typically we would not choose to be forward on a ship, but the views from the front for Alaska are worth it. The only drawback is that you will feel more motion in rough seas. We enjoyed this VS so much we have booked it again for South America on Insignia. Just providing you with another option.

Edited by portofinoitaly

On the R ships about all the veranda and inside cabins are the same size without the balcony Only the Penthouse is larger . Too, traveling in summer It willnot get dark till almost 11pm An insides location will give you a more restful cruiser and encourages you to be out on deck or in a similar lounge The sheer size and scope of Alaska is best seen with a 360 degree vista to gauge perspective. The inside s on deck 8 are as handy as a penthouse for vastly less... I see no "value" in the small verandas as you will be limited to about a 90 degree. It matters not that the ship may turn because you just get a different 90 degrees...and miss the270 other.

I personaly , after years at sea in a variety of ships from sail boats to Aircraft carriers learned that the forward superstructure ( where the OS suites are....) is going to experience a constant head on 25 to 40 mph winds anytime the ship is moving....it will blast you off that nice verernda...

As far weather, no other group of cabins will have as great a potential for the worst weather on the ship- rain, fog, wind.... its nasty place

There is a reason the ships bridge is fully enclosed... what do they know that you don't?

Seriously I see no value for spending a large amount to get such a poor potential In other climes I do go for penthouse but NOT in Alaska

RE: the Forward VS suite I was explaining to DaisyUK. Yes, it will have more motion and in Alaska they tie down the outdoor furniture, but the large sliding door and windows provide the huge views to make up for not being able to use the veranda in inclement weather.

Nothing better than getting up close and personal when the Captain is pulling into Hubbard Glacier and the butler has brought our lunch to our cabin to enjoy that view in our own private enclave. This is why we booked it again for South America to enjoy the Chilean Fjords with just the two of us. I don't like to share;-))

We would not book the VS for more port intensive cruises but the ones with spectacular scenery are worth the extra $$ especially in colder climates. Just a different opinion.