Newbie Questions - Tipping, Passports, ETC

VacaytimeRR2015

Hi All - first time cruising on Oceania, but have done a Disney cruise quite a few years back.....

Some questions - we are doing the Mayan Mystique - Western Caribbean in a PH.

Tipping - what's the protocol? When is it done? Rates?

Passports - do we take them with us off board at destinations?

Destinations - what do we need to take off board - DL, cruise boat key, anything? (Besides money, hats, sunscreen, bug spray, etc etc - I know all of those things :D ) Mainly info on REQUIRED items.

Butler - best uses?

Money - USD ok? Should we take pesos for tipping?

Excursions - I am planning on doing most without OC as I am concerned about refunds if they are a no go - or I'm a no go - Any good points to know as for pros/cons on going independent?

Medical - how's the onboard Dr? Can he prescribe meds or dispense? Minor stuff like for rashes (my DH is susceptible - might need cortisone)

Cocktails - what time is happy hour? Can I add the drink package at any time and get prorated pricing? Do they start to offer specials mid cruise?

Onboard Activities - seems like I hear a lot about Trivia - anything else?

Embarking - can we take our swim suits in carry on, change & use pool or spa area while we wait for cabins?

Anything else a newbie should know? Thank you all so much!

Hi All - first time cruising on Oceania, but have done a Disney cruise quite a few years back.....

There is a listing at the website as to what the recommended limitrs are; it depends on your cabin category. The tip will be automatically charged to your account although you CAN change the amounts (up or down) if you wish. Repeat passengers often receive free gratuities as a perk, either from the ship or from their TA.

Probably not in the Caribbean. When we first started cruising we almost never had our passports available, but these days more countries want you to carry them with you. The ship will inform you. We had a number of Caribbean and Central American ports on our cruise last spring and my recollection is that we didn't have our passports with us. OTOH, in Canada they want you to have it with you.

Destinations - what do we need to take off board - DL, cruise boat key, anything? (Besides money, hats, sunscreen, bug spray, etc etc - I know all of those things :D ) Mainly info on REQUIRED items.

Your room key is also your I.D. so you need to have that with you. Money, yes, even if you are on a ship's tour (or a private tour for that matter). The odds are you will need money somewhere while off the ship. Maybe not much, but SOME. If you want to hit an ATM, take your debit card with you. (I never use a credit card to get cash.)

Butler - best uses?

Do a search. There are tons of suggestions! Certainly if you want extra specialty restaurant reservations. He will serve you dinner in your suite, course by course. He will even unpack your bags and shine your shoes if you wish. If you have a question about anything, ask him.

I would. Unless it's a really third world country where dollars are preferred, I tip in the local currency. On this itinerary USD might be more appreciated.

Excursions - I am planning on doing most without OC as I am concerned about refunds if they are a no go - or I'm a no go - Any good points to know as for pros/cons on going independent?

While I haven't done this particular itinerary, we did a number of these ports last April/May (we were Lima to NYC). We had no problem with our private tours. I just avoid tours if I can where they want a deposit. Most tours will refund your money if the SHIP misses the port, as sometimes happens. When we were in Santo Tomas (Guatemala) there was an intestinal problem going around the ship and two of our people had to cancel at the last minute. The guide refunded our money.

Medical - how's the onboard Dr? Can he prescribe meds or dispense? Minor stuff like for rashes (my DH is susceptible - might need cortisone)

I haven't used the ship doctor in a number of years but I was satisfied with the service. I'm not sure about prescribing or dispensing ... part of the question would be what they have on board, and clearly the ship's supplies will be limited. If you have regular meds, or might need something like cortisone for rashes, I'd bring it with me.

Cocktails - what time is happy hour? Can I add the drink package at any time and get prorated pricing? Do they start to offer specials mid cruise?

We usually don't bother with happy hours but I think it starts at 5. Tea is at 4 and they don't want them to conflict. You pay for the drink package by the day but once you add it on, you have it for the balance of the cruise. On our last cruise they were offering it throughout the duration of the cruise.

Lectures, especially on sea days, on various topics. Cooking demos once or twice during the cruise. Spa specials. We always manage to keep busy! If you are on Marina or Riviera, there are cooking classes and the handicraft area.

Embarking - can we take our swim suits in carry on, change & use pool or spa area while we wait for cabins?

Now that's a new one to me! But I've never seen anyone swimming on embarkation day. I don't see why you couldn't ... there's always a bathroom where you could change.

You came up with more questions than I have answers for ...

If you want special drinks in your room fridge, let the butler know. I don't mean alcoholic, I mean cokes, tonic, etc. We usually remove most of the regular things they stock so it's a good idea to let him know what you want to have. (The butler OR the room steward.)

Mura

Butler - best uses?

Hi!

You may want to search in this forum for some other similar responses. For tipping, this is from O's FAQ section:

What is your gratuity policy?

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account.

FOR SAILINGS PRIOR TO THE 2015-16 WINTER SEASON:

For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $15.00 per guest, per day will be added.

For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $22.00 per guest, per day will be added.

In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion.

FOR SAILINGS BEGINNING WITH THE 2015-16 WINTER SEASON:

For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $16.00 per guest, per day will be added.

For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $23.00 per guest, per day will be added.

In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion.

---

Passports are held by the ship. You only take your room card and possibly your daily Cuurent copy, as it has the O representatives number and other important port number if something occurs at that port. We also carry a copy of our passports.

---

Money- check with CC Ports section, each port usually will take USD (since you and us are on the same cruise, most ports take USD or credit card).

--

Refunds on Private excursions, up to the owner operator.

- --

Onboard DR is expensive, however, not sure if your private insurance or Medicare will cover cost. They can prescribe meds, however, if there is a chance you will need meds, try to bring with if you are able to.

---

Happy Hour is 5-6 PM and they offer Drink Specials and some 2for1's.

---

There are some culinary Classes (sign up online now), some artist loft activities, port lectures, they have table tennis (ping pong) tables, shuffleboard, and a putting green, also usually have Bingo, and Trivia and needlepoint. Oceania is very laid back, so they do not have an abundance of activities, but a lot of laying back and relaxing, and meeting fellow passenger time!

---

And Yes, you can change into suit, and feel free to change, and enjoy, prior to getting into your cabin....but from your questions, you are in a PH or higher, so your wait shouldn't be that long, as the Upper suites cabins are ready earlier.

Enjoy!! And we will see you onboard! Tina

Edited by Cruseforme

Tipping - what's the protocol? When is it done? Rates? they add the gratuties to your onboard account & to drink purchases you can tip extra if you want ...

Passports - do we take them with us off board at destinations? we do not YMMV

Money - USD ok? Should we take pesos for tipping? USD work fine

I would take your own so you have it readily available but yes the Dr can prescribe drugs a visit will cost you about $150 +

Cocktails - what time is happy hour? 5-6PM Can I add the drink package at any time and get prorated pricing? sometimes Do they start to offer specials mid cruise? not sure what specials you mean?

Yes you can take your swim suit & start to get in the cruise mood

On our Mediterranean cruise, the ship did not hold our passports, we kept our passports ( in our room safe).

Do they hold the passports on certain cruises?

Yes especially in the Caribbean for non U.S. citizens

Some Countries may require you to carry them ashore it is usually noted in the dailies

Netherlands & France are 2 that come to mind

Yes they hold them on certain cruises

Jancruz1

Regarding the Dr - DH had to visit one on a 32 day cruise with an infection in his eye. The bill for a 10 minute visit was around $450 - that was for the visit and for a tiny, tiny tube of antibiotic ointment. Sorry, but cannot remember the breakdown of what was for the visit and what was for the ointment.

We had purchased travel insurance that included medical costs and were reimbursed 100% after I filed the claim.

This was an unusual circumstance - we always take all anticipated prescription meds and even some that we don't anticipate to avoid having to do the whole expensive charge/eventual reimbursement.

Regarding the Dr - DH had to visit one on a 32 day cruise with an infection in his eye. The bill for a 10 minute visit was around $450 - that was for the visit and for a tiny, tiny tube of antibiotic ointment. Sorry, but cannot remember the breakdown of what was for the visit and what was for the ointment.

WOW

DH saw the doctor twice it was less than $200 & that was with a RX for pain meds

sometimes you cannot avoid the visit

I agree if you think you may have a problem take the proper meds with you

We had purchased travel insurance that included medical costs and were reimbursed 100% after I filed the claim.

This was an unusual circumstance - we always take all anticipated prescription meds and even some that we don't anticipate to avoid having to do the whole expensive charge/eventual reimbursement.

DH caught your DH's eye thingie plus a cough which many seemed to have on board (lol). By the time he got the eye thing we were on Moorea. We went to the local doctor on Moorea. Total cost for doctor and 4 prescriptions was less than $75. Remember the lovely two French guys on board where one went to the doctor with a really bad cough that was keeping him up at night and was given Theraflu by the on board doc and his bill was close to $1000? They weren't concerned since French medical care picks up the bill.

The doctor on board is expensive but if you need a MD then that is where you go. Just make sure you have medical insurance that will cover the bill which will be high. We travel with a lot of over the counter medication in places where it is difficult to get medications. Many areas have over the counter medications that you cannot get in the U.S. without a prescription such as antibiotics and the "pharmacia" can be your first call versus seeing the doctor.