Rogue Wave

FLcruiser2011

A friend was telling me today that on a September sailing on Marina in the North Sea, they were hit broadside at 2 am by a rogue wave -- which caused considerable internal damage aboard the ship, but apparently no serious injuries. She said the captain later said the wave was 26 meters -- quite a sizable wave if true. I cannot believe there hasn't been anything about this in the news or on the News Board here. Anyone else know anything about this?

A friend was telling me today that on a September sailing on Marina in the North Sea, they were hit broadside at 2 am by a rogue wave -- which caused considerable internal damage aboard the ship, but apparently no serious injuries. She said the captain later said the wave was 26 meters -- quite a sizable wave if true. I cannot believe there hasn't been anything about this in the news or on the News Board here. Anyone else know anything about this?

It's not likely to be a rogue wave that is 26 meters . That is over 75 feet high. 26 feet maybe but 75+ feet in the North Sea no. In the open Atlantic . pacific or Indian oceans very possible. If the wave was that high it probably would of been in the news.

Edited by Kamloops50

WE were hit by a rogue wave on Regatta one year :eek:

if hit you will notice

I thought we hit a container & was getting ready for the abandon ship signal

It did not come thank goodness

DH spoke to a man that was in the smoking area on the pool deck when it hit

he said the water came up & over the track above the pool

This was going from Grand Cayman to Columbia

It's not likely to be a rogue wave that is 26 meters . That is over 75 feet high. 26 feet maybe but 75+ feet in the North Sea no. In the open Atlantic . pacific or Indian oceans very possible. If the wave was that high it probably would of been in the news.

The very first Rogue wave ever confirmed by scientific evidence, the so called Draupner Wave of 1995 was in the North Sea, and not to put too fine a point on it, they are well past due for another.

The last reported "Rogue" in that area was in November of 2000:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rogue_waves

Apologies to the Dramamine set ;)

The very first Rogue wave ever confirmed by scientific evidence, the so called Draupner Wave of 1995 was in the North Sea, and not to put too fine a point on it, they are well past due for another.

The last reported "Rogue" in that area was in November of 2000:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rogue_waves

Apologies to the Dramamine set ;)

Really wish I not looked at this, much prefer to be an ostrich

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So, do we know if this is true or not? :confused::confused::confused:

We were on Marina from September 2 - September 14, 2015; Amsterdam to Barcelona. We heard nothing about it and did not see nor hear of any damage. And, if memory serves me, 77 guests were doing B2B from previous cruise. Met up with friends (after we debarked) who were boarding in BCN to take Marina from BCN to Rome. That sailing took up almost the rest of September 2015.

So if this IS true, then the wave incident could have happened on Sept.1 on the way into Amsterdam, or the OP is speaking of a different ship or a different month. :confused:

We had very smooth sailing from AMS down through north and western coastlines of France, Portugal and Spain...much smoother than our previous Marina Baltic cruise with quite a bit of movement for that ship.

Edited by willidc

We were on Marina from September 2 - September 14, 2015; Amsterdam to Barcelona. We heard nothing about it and did not see nor hear of any damage. And, if memory serves me, 77 guests were doing B2B from previous cruise. Met up with friends (after we debarked) who were boarding in BCN to take Marina from BCN to Rome. That sailing took up almost the rest of September 2015.

So if this IS true, then the wave incident could have happened on Sept.1 on the way into Amsterdam, or the OP is speaking of a different ship or a different month. :confused:

We had very smooth sailing from AMS down through north and western coastlines of France, Portugal and Spain...much smoother than our previous Marina Baltic cruise with quite a bit of movement for that ship.

If you read the thread you will see that it was determined that this occurred on Nautica, not Marina.

Donna

The Nautica WAS hit by a rogue wave at about 0200 just before arrival into Zeebrugge.

I myself was thrown out of bed and only saved from going through the window by the (glass topped!) table.

Three windows on deck 4 - the officers' offices - were smashed, trashing the computers and everything in them and pushing the interior wall in by a foot or more.

The main dining room was flooded - on deck 5 - and the water ran down the stairs into reception.

Some of the Terrace outside furniture went over the side.

The spare dining crockery room on deck 9 was trashed - even the shelves came down. Most of the glassware was broken in the dining rooms.

Two serving stations - waves and the terrace outside - each weighing half a tonne were thrown across the decks: the waves one smashed the icecream counter.

Several deck 5 rails were torn away.

I heard of several people being injured - broken ribs and the like.

The cruise director made an "all hands on deck" about five minutes after the incident, and ran around the deck 5 disconnecting the sockets, which were fizzing.

Many of the crew had only just gone off duty but everyone spent the rest of the night in recovery mode: they did an extraordinary job of getting things back to something resembling normal: the carpet in the MDR had to come up a couple of days later after it was dried out.

The Lloyds insurance assessor was onboard immediately after docking at Zeebrugge. I don't know what the bill would be but we must be talking in the high hundreds of thousands or millions.

Containers of replacement materials arrived at several of the next few ports.

All in all, the logistics of recovery were superbly handled: all credit to the management and crew.

I only post this to clear up any misconceptions, some of which are posted above.

This is the stuff of nightmares. Oh, okay -- and "daymares," too!

This stuff really DOES haunt my nightmares...and daymares! As some people in this forum know, my husband and I are planning on setting sail on our own sailboat to cruise the Pacific for about 5 years. Rogue waves are something that scare the hell out of cruisers like us. Those, and just-barely-submerged floating shipping containers.

The Nautica WAS hit by a rogue wave at about 0200 just before arrival into Zeebrugge.

I myself was thrown out of bed and only saved from going through the window by the (glass topped!) table.

<<snip>>

I only post this to clear up any misconceptions, some of which are posted above.

Thanks for clearing this up...and I'm so glad you're okay! That could have been much worse. Imagine if this happened during the day -- those serving stations could have crushed people. SCARY!

We had a 18 foot wave hit along the side of the Celebrity Solstice, we felt the hit. The seas did not seem to be that rough, you never know when they will emerge.

Apparently the CCTV shows a wall of water something like 60' high appearing out of nowhere. It smashed the outside ceiling lights on the "hit" side on deck 5 so must have been something like that.

Very little is known about freak waves - they are very very infrequent, can't be forecast so are almost un-studied. Eastern South Africa is one place that seems to occasionally get them.

Edited by Wol

Very interesting podcast about rogue waves:

http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts/how-rogue-waves-work/

I don't have any of the usual cruise ship phobias (airplanes are my kryptonite), am completely unmoved by people still holding onto terror after seeing Titanic, etc., but I will admit learning about rogue waves was unsettling. This is a great podcast series and I just listened to the one about rogue waves last week. Almost wish I hadn't, but I firmly believe that knowing is better than not knowing.

Edited by perditax