Paul Gauguin or Oceania to Tahiti?

SWEETSEA

Help me decide...I have cruised many times, but never on either of these lines. Has anyone ever done both? Oceania ship looks nicer, but reviews says PG more " authentic". Food looks awesome on Oceania, but PG gets good reviews too. Which has the more "luxury" feel. Thanks for your help.

I haven't done this cruise so I'm going by what I have read here. Oceania is more luxurious but most posts I've read say PG is more authentic. A smaller ship gets in closer. I saw a TV show recently on cruise ships that made PG very attractive.

What is more important to you? Frankly, as much as I love Oceania from what I have read here (by people who love both), I'd go with PG.

You need to decide for yourself what would make you happier.

I know others will chime in!

Mura

The PG is more "authentic" I guess you might call it, but it is way smaller. They have lovely entertainers who dance and sing up on the deck and they have a great beach day. I loved the PG, but I would not say that it was luxury. There is one dining room and the ship is getting a little old at this time.

This time, in March I am going on Oceania Marina. When you have to tender anyway, distance (since it is not that much) isn't really an issue. I am assuming in most cases we will have to tender. We love the Marina and the Riviera and we know that if we hit some wet weather, we will still have different things to do and different restaurants.

I think in a lot of cases Marina goes to more places. Basically PG is in French Polynesia.

If I were you I would weigh the cost...the size of the rooms...the ports, and yes do read reviews on the PG. It is truly a toss up. We like larger and newer and more luxury.

Oceania is my cruise line of choice except for French Polynesia. Ports call for smaller ships - PG 300 size is preferable. Service is excellent - it is more inclusive - has a focus on local history, culture and entertainment. Also, if you are divers (as I used to be) diving is available from the ship. PG is definitely the way to go.

The PG is more "authentic" I guess you might call it, but it is way smaller. They have lovely entertainers who dance and sing up on the deck and they have a great beach day. I loved the PG, but I would not say that it was luxury. There is one dining room and the ship is getting a little old at this time.

This time, in March I am going on Oceania Marina. When you have to tender anyway, distance (since it is not that much) isn't really an issue. I am assuming in most cases we will have to tender. We love the Marina and the Riviera and we know that if we hit some wet weather, we will still have different things to do and different restaurants.

I think in a lot of cases Marina goes to more places. Basically PG is in French Polynesia.

If I were you I would weigh the cost...the size of the rooms...the ports, and yes do read reviews on the PG. It is truly a toss up. We like larger and newer and more luxury.

Did PPT to Sydney about a year and a half ago on Marina. We loved it. Have not been on PG but the luxury of Marina carried the day for us. Food, large cabins and the space on the ship will do it for us every time. :):):)

I love the O ships but did French Polynesia on PG and it would be my #1 choice.

As I recall, they have 3 restaurants on board, all inclusive beverages, the ship was sparkling and did not seem old. The entertainers are from the area and the whole experience is being entrenched in FP culture. They have a lovely barbecue on a special beach, with fresh coconuts for drinking, local foods, etc.

Also, because of the size you will have fewer passengers, and many water activities including the diving. I don't dive, but enjoyed taking the SUP board from the back of the ship and playing in the bay in Moorea.

One special memory was the very festive dinner where we all wore sarongs (they had a class to show how to tie them) and the local women came on board and made beautiful leis and they presented me with a gorgeous flower headpiece to wear that evening. I did this 2 years ago in October and loved it.

Our first visit to Tahiti was on the wind song in 1993 really up close and personal.120 passengers.That was 20 years ago.We cruised on the Marina 2 years ago PPT to Sydney was fantastic.Oceania is elegant and casual cruising at its best.We just booked LA to Hawaii to Tahiti on the Sirena for January 2017.

For most cruise's I'd think "O" but your going to Tahiti and PG would be the way to go. Unless your suite is more important---and most of the time that's me, but Tahiti I'd pass on the better suite on "O".

Rick

Been on the PG five times, and booked for a sixth, so am obviously a cheerleader. Also been on Riviera once on a transatlantic: a lovely ship and cruise.

For FP, it is the PG. Many, including me, book smallish cabins down on deck 4, since we're in the cabin so infrequently. We did a penthouse once and it was nice but really a waste of money.

I have friends who did O to FP and had a lovely time. So it is not a terrible choice.

The smaller 'R' Class Oceania ship Sirena start FP itineraries in 2017.

We did FP on Marina and I never felt that the ship overwhelmed the locations.

If you are into water sports the PG is better choice. If the ship is your destination O ships are beautiful.

Been on the PG five times, and booked for a sixth, so am obviously a cheerleader. Also been on Riviera once on a transatlantic: a lovely ship and cruise.

For FP, it is the PG. Many, including me, book smallish cabins down on deck 4, since we're in the cabin so infrequently. We did a penthouse once and it was nice but really a waste of money.

We just can't remember a penthouse category. Are they on deck 8??

The smaller 'R' Class Oceania ship Sirena start FP itineraries in 2017.

We did FP on Marina and I never felt that the ship overwhelmed the locations.

If you are into water sports the PG is better choice. If the ship is your destination O ships are beautiful.

For us I guess the destination was both the ship and FP. The best of both worlds. Don't think either one would be a bad choice. :):):)

that it is far better to fly one way to Tahiti and cruise through Tahiti to the US or Australia.. Doing a rt in Tahiti is not fun the Tahiti to LAX flights are not fun withhuge layovers... With 5 trips to Tahiti I now only fly their and sail to another region.....way better

that it is far better to fly one way to Tahiti and cruise through Tahiti to the US or Australia.. Doing a rt in Tahiti is not fun the Tahiti to LAX flights are not fun withhuge layovers... With 5 trips to Tahiti I now only fly their and sail to another region.....way better

FLL to LAX to Tahiti and then Sydney back home. All that flying is not much fun but only way to do that kind of trip. Still it was worth it. Loved FP and want to do it again. :):):)

O has some great itineraries encompassing FP, we are doing one in April. I've seen PG on the Smithsonian channel and it seemed like a lovely experience. I didn't think to price PG for our trip as Oceania quality makes it very easy to keep going back.

For us it is not just FP but where we go with Oceania all over the world that keeps us coming back to O. :):):)

We just can't remember a penthouse category. Are they on deck 8??

Sorry ... I mis-spoke ("mis-typed"?). They're called "Veranda Staterooms" not "Penthouses" and we were in a Category B on deck 8. Full balcony, a little bigger, butler service. We hardly used the balcony, never used the butler. For us, it wasn't worth the money, but "your mileage may vary."

Note that "a little bigger" is still only 249 sq. ft., compared to 200 sq. ft. down on Deck 4. But we find the design of the cabins on Deck 4 is so well done that we never feel cramped.

On the 5 cruises we've taken on PG we tried both owner's suites on deck 7 - 701 and 7002. Even though 7002 is larger, we prefer 701. These are the largest on the ship, but are not huge - my recollection is that they are around 500 sq ft - not sure that they are worth the price. But, if we were take another PG cruise, it would be in 701.