Culinary Center Classes

cruisedoctor

It would be nice to pre-book (prior to boarding) several classes in the Culinary Center, in order to assure their availability. But it seems that doing so requires immediate payment at the time of their booking.

I hate to pay ahead of time, when once aboard, I will have a significant amount of on-board credit, which could be used to pay for those courses.

Has anyone discovered a "work-around" for this situation?

I'm new to Oceania. Are these Culinary Center Classes worth the time and cost?

Comments from past attendees would be appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Dr. J

The generally known work around is to pre-pay and then cancel and rebook once on board. You still have to prepay, but then you use you OBC to pay. The prepay is refundable while the OBC is not.

I thought about that initially, but over time I've realized that Oceania is truly the master at using "fine print" rules and regulations to their advantage. They truly have taken that art to a new level.

If this has worked for others, and hasn't been out-rightly banned by Oceania, then I'll give it a try.

I still would like some input from others, who have taken these classes in the past, about their experiences of doing so.

Thanks!

Dr. J

Keep in mind there are a limited number of places in the classes

They are very popular

I have sometimes seen they advertise space available once onboard for some classes so you may luck out

The pre pay & cancel work around works for excursions not sure on the cooking classes

If you do pre pay & cancel onboard it is added to your onboard account

you will get a refund the last night of the cruise if you do not spend it

The classes generally sell out. They are fun, practical and hands on. I have done 4 of them and are always worthwhile for me. If you are interested - just sign up.

I actually tried to cancel onboard my last cruise because there was a conflict with something else. It was a huge deal - and I ended up taking another class in it's place but it was the only class with a single spot.

We do the classes (usually four if we like the selection).

If you are not much of a cook, the beginning of each class, often noteworthy for food safety and knife technique intros, is very helpful. If you are an experienced and adventurous home cook, the additional shortcuts, substitutions, alternate approaches (depending on subject matter) during the rest of the class is sure to add to your repertoire.

Who'd have known that Costco Olive oil is actually Colavita or that EVOO is better saved for dressing rather than cooking? It's those little things that make a difference (along with the fun of cooking with kitchen staffers cleaning up behind you.

Keep in mind that if you cancel, they may have a wait list for that class and you may not get back in the class. We found them really fun and enjoyed the class. If you do cancel you'll get your money back---we had to cancel one class do to illness.

Rick

I actually tried to cancel onboard my last cruise because there was a conflict with something else. It was a huge deal - and I ended up taking another class in it's place but it was the only class with a single spot.

I am surprised you had a problem cancelling

we cancelled ours due to illness the Concierge took care of it & the funds went into our onboard account

The money was refunded when we left the ship

we cancelled ours due to illness the Concierge took care of it & the funds went into our onboard account

Maybe Illness had something to do with it - I was not sick but the class was slated to start the same time as something else.

Maybe Illness had something to do with it - I was not sick but the class was slated to start the same time as something else.

Maybe but our class was a few days later

were you cancelling the same day as the class?

Definitely on sea days but I think also on port days. I don't recall exactly what I have done since I aim for a class on a sea day, just as I prefer a specialty restaurant dinner on a sea day. My recollection is 10am and 4pm. The morning class can ruin your appetite for lunch and the afternoon class can do the same for your dinner!

I too was recently caught by surprise about the pre-payment for anything you book prior to the cruise. I posted a question about it, and got a lot of the same responses -- book in advance, then cancel onboard and re-book, so I can then use my OBC.

Or, for excursions, don't pre-book at all, as apparently it's uncommon for them to get booked up so the risk of missing out is low.

I went ahead and pre-booked and paid for La Reserve, just because there was only one of the three that I wanted to do so I didn't want it to fill up. I have not pre-booked any Culinary classes, figuring I'd do it onboard so I can use my OBC. But I didn't realize how popular they are...after reading this thread, now I'm thinking I'd better go in and snag the ones we want.

I don't recall ever having to pay for things that we pre-booked on any of my other cruises. (This is my first O cruise.) But I've since read that this is becoming a popular practice on other cruise lines as well. I don't like it...I usually end up with a good amount of OBC, more than I can spend on onesy-twosy stuff. So this is going to mean some finagling to make sure I get to use it all. (I suppose that's a reason why this practice is becoming more prevalent in the industry!)

That's good to hear. I have several booked and if for some reason I opted not to do them all it should not be difficult to cancel. thank you :)

I too was recently caught by surprise about the pre-payment for anything you book prior to the cruise. I posted a question about it, and got a lot of the same responses -- book in advance, then cancel onboard and re-book, so I can then use my OBC.

Or, for excursions, don't pre-book at all, as apparently it's uncommon for them to get booked up so the risk of missing out is low.

I went ahead and pre-booked and paid for La Reserve, just because there was only one of the three that I wanted to do so I didn't want it to fill up. I have not pre-booked any Culinary classes, figuring I'd do it onboard so I can use my OBC. But I didn't realize how popular they are...after reading this thread, now I'm thinking I'd better go in and snag the ones we want.

I don't recall ever having to pay for things that we pre-booked on any of my other cruises. (This is my first O cruise.) But I've since read that this is becoming a popular practice on other cruise lines as well. I don't like it...I usually end up with a good amount of OBC, more than I can spend on onesy-twosy stuff. So this is going to mean some finagling to make sure I get to use it all. (I suppose that's a reason why this practice is becoming more prevalent in the industry!)

I have actually not cruised in many years without pre-paying for anything I book on line, so O's practice was not a surprise to us at all. We have primarily sailed HAL for the last few years and a couple of others. Everything we booked was pre-paid.

It is in fact, a blessing in a way. Since we are cruising out of Barcelona we will be subject to Spanish VAT for a bit so anything I buy online will be exempt from that :). there's always a silver lining :)

I have actually not cruised in many years without pre-paying for anything I book on line, so O's practice was not a surprise to us at all. We have primarily sailed HAL for the last few years and a couple of others. Everything we booked was pre-paid.

Several people said the same thing when I posted my question, which I found surprising since this was the first time I encountered it at all! I guess I just haven't been on lines that do this. My most recent cruises were on Paul Gauguin (twice), Crystal, and Windstar, and we didn't have to pre-pay for anything. Prior to that I was on Regent, Celebrity, and RCI...although it's been several years since I've been on those lines, I still don't recall pre-paying.

Things are constantly changing with cruising so I'm just glad that I have Cruise Critic to get my questions answered and keep up with the times. :) And now I know that this has become common, and I must plan accordingly.

Do reservations for the culinary classes become available at the same time as reservations for the specialty restaurants -- or is it possible to book earlier?

You can usually book earlier as soon as they become available

same with excursions

only the specialty restaurants you have to wait until your cabin Cat time frame comes up

look under the dining tab for the one that applies to your sailing time/Cabin

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Edited by LHT28

That's good to hear. I have several booked and if for some reason I opted not to do them all it should not be difficult to cancel. thank you :)

Check the cancellation schedule for the classes I think it is 36 hrs prior for a full refund

It should be in your invoice or on O's website

I once had to cancel at the last minute because I was feeling ill. I had a full refund. HOWEVER ... that could have been because the Culinary Center didn't have my name down as a participant. When I went downstairs to get my refund, they found my reservation but gave me the refund anyway. Maybe they had a waiting list ... I don't know.

On another occasion, I lost record of my reservation and realized a day later that I'd been a no-show. No credit for that! But I didn't expect one since it was my fault.

I once had to cancel at the last minute because I was feeling ill. I had a full refund. HOWEVER ... that could have been because the Culinary Center didn't have my name down as a participant. When I went downstairs to get my refund, they found my reservation but gave me the refund anyway. Maybe they had a waiting list ... I don't know.

maybe they will refund due to illness

They would not want sick people in there I am sure ;)

I am sure with some classes they have a waitlist

some were still advertised the night before in the CURRENTS as available

They are quite clear in the rules -- no sniffles, etc. Unfortunately I always HAVE the sniffles! It's more allergy than anything else but I didn't want to risk it either.

So that IS an out ... or at least it was for me.

Given my problem with allergy I've decided not to try to take any classes in the future.

Mura

Check the cancellation schedule for the classes I think it is 36 hrs prior for a full refund

It should be in your invoice or on O's website

Thanks - there was nothing on my invoice nor could I or another roll call member (who is a frequent O cruiser) find a specific cancellation policy for the classes. She called O who told her they could be cancelled & money refunded so we will simply check on board for the rules. not planning on cancelling of course, but it's always good to know "in case". Our blue book says 36 hours for shore excursions so I would think it would be the same for the classes.

Much appreciated, as always :)

I have taken several classes, usually on the "at sea days". The classes are fun, informative, and you get a lot of good tips. The classes sell out quickly, so book ahead. I believe there is a 48 hour cancelation policy and then the money goes into your on board account.