New to Oceania so many questions?

pris993

We are considering a 10 day cruise on the Riveria from Istanbul to Athens in April 2017 to celebrate my DH's 85 th birthday and my 70th... wanted to do something special.

Have not cruised on Oceania before but are experienced cruisers on many lines.

Looks like Oceania cruise price includes air. And we can request custom air which we would do as we like to fly Air France from San Francisco and can easily do so to and from on this cruise. We would also like to have stop over in Paris.

My DH typically likes a traditional cruise experience... including dressing formal; can we still do so on Oceania. My DH is from Europe so we likes the formal experience.

Likewise he prefers and we usually get a tale for 2 on the MDR on most ship in the traditional dining room, is this possible on Oceania?

Is it best to book directly with Oceania or thru a TA?

Since we have not been on this line before what do we need to know?

Would love to hear from folks who have experience with this line. Thanks in advance.

I'll give you a few answers

Yes to a table for two

No to dressing formal. No tuxes. No gowns. You will look and feel out of place. Oceania cruisers do tend to be fashionable and you will see many passengers dressed up in the evening but it is more cocktail party wear. Men usually do not wear jackets but you will see some in the specialty restaurants

Book through an experienced Oceania ta. You will get the benefit of good advice and additional perks

There is no "traditional dining", the grand dining room is walk in only, no assigned seats or times. We have no problem getting tables for two, often we choose to sit with others.

Specialty reservations require advanced reservation, the date you can book will be on your booking documents. Reserve on line, depending on the length of the cruise you are entitled to a certain number of reservations in advance. Same day reservations can also be made for extra specialty restaurants, subject to availability.

The buffet Terrace Grill is also very popular with upscale menus and service. The made to order grill is very popular. They have lots of themed dinners.

Waves is the poolside eatery and is way more than the typical hot dog stand. They offer terrific fish, chicken, surf and turf and many other selections grilled to order and served to you.

Find sample menus on the O web site for all the eateries, the array of food is astonishing. Food quality is excellent.

No formal dress, no photographers, very little on board selling, no formal nights. I would be surprised if you miss it once you experience Oceania.

We love Oceania for fine food, great service, drop dead gorgeous ships and a host of other special touches,

You need a TA who books a high volume Oceania to explain the air program, you pay a deviation fee to choose your flight schedule. You can also take an air credit and book your own flights.

I will disagree a bit with Bitbob. I remember seeing a group of 8 on Renaissance which had the same dress code as Oceania. They were dressed to the nines. I know that WE enjoyed seeing them all gussied up. I don't see why someone who is dressed formally (or even semi-formally) would feel out of place just because others are more casually dressed. Most passengers on Oceania, even if casual, are "elegantly" casual.

This certainly should not be a reason to avoid Oceania. But that depends on the OP and her DH.

You can certainly get tables for 2 in the GDR; sometimes it's more difficult in the specialty restaurants. By that I mean that many people booking the specialty restaurants on board find that it's easier to get a table if they share. You can certainly book ahead depending on your cabin category which can assure a table for 2.

My husband and I like to share tables, but a number of times when we arrived at the GDR the way tables were being filled, we ended up at a table for 2. Which would have been great if that's what we wanted ... OTOH, that makes me think that if you WANT a table for 2, you shouldn't have a problem.

Many of us prefer to book with a TA rather than direct with O, but you want to be sure that you have a TA who specializes with O. Unfortunately, we aren't permitted to give out any names of these TAs on CC.

I'm not sure what we should be advising you on ... O is more casual than more formal lines, which should be self-evident, I suppose. Even Riviera is only 1250 passengers so you have a better chance of meeting up with passengers and recognizing them.

Among the features that people like on the two larger ships is the culinary lessons, the handicraft center, trivia (which exists on all the ships), and so on. If you have sea days you will likely have some cooking demos from the chefs plus lectures on various topics. The quality and quantity of lectures can vary from cruise to cruise.

Ships tours tend to be very expensive as compared to other lines. Many of us like to create our own private tours with smaller groups through the cruise's Roll Call. This depends on your personal preference. But it's advisable to log into the Roll Call anyway because usually there is a Meet & Greet which is organized through the Roll Call.

I'm not sure what else to say ... but questions are welcome!

Mura

Thanks for for your thoughtful comments... this will be helpful in sharing with my DH. I could skip the formal wear, it is my DH that loves his tux and white dinner jacket, reverse roles in our family, smile. He has very smart casual wear too so no problem there. We just got of the Queen Mary II. QM2 idea of casual is a jacket without a tie, and that is a relaxed dress code from prior cruises. My DH wore a tie every night.

The cruise we want is 1.5 yr away, so just beginning to do some research. Have always found CC very helpful. So started here first, after reading the brochure.

We have been to vall the ports on this cruise... did a cruise on the Grand Princess out of Istanbul in l998... actually picking the cruise because it has 3 days in Haifa Israel, we have family and friends there, most cruises stop in Ashdod and Haifa and rarely does one ship spend 3 days in Haifa alone... so is a big draw for us. Also most ships go to Egypt... we been there many times, this cruise doesn't.

Looking for something different... and special and I think Oceania's Riveria may just be it. Any rate excited about exploring the possibilities. Will talk to our TA, don't know how experienced she is with Oceania but guess she has experience and will call Oceania ourselves as well.

Thanks for for your thoughtful comments... this will be helpful in sharing with my DH. I could skip the formal wear, it is my DH that loves his tux and white dinner jacket, reverse roles in our family, smile. He has very smart casual wear too so no problem there. We just got of the Queen Mary II. QM2 idea of casual is a jacket without a tie, and that is a relaxed dress code from prior cruises. My DH wore a tie every night.

The cruise we want is 1.5 yr away, so just beginning to do some research. Have always found CC very helpful. So started here first, after reading the brochure.

We have been to vall the ports on this cruise... did a cruise on the Grand Princess out of Istanbul in l998... actually picking the cruise because it has 3 days in Haifa Israel, we have family and friends there, most cruises stop in Ashdod and Haifa and rarely does one ship spend 3 days in Haifa alone... so is a big draw for us. Also most ships go to Egypt... we been there many times, this cruise doesn't.

Looking for something different... and special and I think Oceania's Riveria may just be it. Any rate excited about exploring the possibilities. Will talk to our TA, don't know how experienced she is with Oceania but guess she has experience and will call Oceania ourselves as well.

Just a heads up, if you are picking this cruise just for the Israel ports, don't!

Way too many people have been disappointed in the past when those ports were cancelled.

Sadly no Dinner Jackets on O, but if your OH likes to be more formal at dinner, a jacket is not out of place at all. My OH wore one every evening. It's what is comfortable for you that matters. Ties were certainly few and far between, but who's to say it is forbidden? For the ladies, and I have already written this on a previous post, a long dress is not forbidden either!! Not a red carpet ball gown, which would perhaps be OTT, but a maxi dress or long skirt is not unusual. However, it is a fact that black tie formal simply is not worn.

Everything else about Oceania is so great that we accept the dress code as a slight disappointment.

A word of advice to OP

Oceania and Cunard are very different from each other. If you expect an experience similar to that of Cunard, you are likely to be disappointed. However, if you will sail with an open mind and accept that Oceania is not Cunard, you are likely to enjoy your cruise greatly.

While cruising, avoid constant comparisons between the two lines and just enjoy the "Oceania experience" for what it is :)

Oceania is our favorite cruise line but we sail many other cruise lines for itinerary and keep our expectations in line with whichever cruise we are on - thus we are seldom disappointed.

Happy sailing.

Edited by Paulchili

Agree that dressing up if fine - if that is what you feel like doing. It just isn't required.

In terms of Israel, we just returned from there a couple of weeks ago (on sister company Regent's ship) and another ship is heading there October 31st. I would not hesitate to book a cruise to Israel. Yes - there is always a chance that the port could be cancelled but you would get a good sense of how things are going there prior to the cancellation date. Despite news reports that make all of Israel sound dangerous, this is certainly not the case. We went to a kibbutz 2 miles from Syria (border of Syria, Jordan and Israel). There has never been a problem at that border point. However, 50 Km. there are problems.

Hope you book the cruise and enjoy every moment of it!

I would have a plan B for 2017. Celebrity has cancelled many of your port choices and I am sure other lines have or will in future do likewise. Cruise lines are legally allowed by contract to cancel and do so at last moment to forestall guest cancellations.Oceania has so many other wonderful world wide choices. Take a look at segments of World cruises.

Silversea still has formal nights, the number being based upon the length of the cruise. And Regent has formal nights on longer cruises, I believe.

On our last Oceania cruise, we dressed up quite a bit, but no tux and long gowns, just suits for my husband and cocktail dresses for me. And we were not alone. I would say that most were pretty dressed up at night except for the night before disembarkation.

Yes, but the formal nights are not what they used to be where every man wore a tux. Nowadays formal can mean a suit or blazer and you don't even have to wear a tie. Personally, the thing I love best about Oceania is the casual dress code.

We are considering a 10 day cruise on the Riveria from Istanbul to Athens in April 2017 to celebrate my DH's 85 th birthday and my 70th... wanted to do something special.

Have not cruised on Oceania before but are experienced cruisers on many lines.

Looks like Oceania cruise price includes air. And we can request custom air which we would do as we like to fly Air France from San Francisco and can easily do so to and from on this cruise. We would also like to have stop over in Paris.

My DH typically likes a traditional cruise experience... including dressing formal; can we still do so on Oceania. My DH is from Europe so we likes the formal experience.

Likewise he prefers and we usually get a tale for 2 on the MDR on most ship in the traditional dining room, is this possible on Oceania? Yes possible but there are 6 different places to dine all with table for 2

Is it best to book directly with Oceania or thru a TA?

Since we have not been on this line before what do we need to know?

This Line is not what you will like..... not formal all casual air program is not what you think it will be.

Would love to hear from folks who have experience with this line. Thanks in advance.

You are wise in writing Oceania has no formal night or dress any time in any venue.. In the region this ship goes is port intensive so even more casual than normal .

Dress will be golf shirts and slacks maybe a sport coat... No big gala's captains whing-ding

I would suggest Crystal or Silver Seas for formality

You are reading a lot into the air program it is coach SFO to Athens... not Paris Even if you paid the deviation fee, your not going to get a stopover in Paris because its not on the route Air France may also not be a choice.

If you want Air france, fly several days earlier to Paris then on to Athens you are going to have to book and pay for that your self

Likewise he prefers and we usually get a tale for 2 on the MDR on most ship in the traditional dining room, is this possible on Oceania?

Is it best to book directly with Oceania or thru a TA? You need a good agent who knows Oceaina...

I'm going to agree a bit and also disagree a bit. It's absolutely true that Oceania has no formal nights and no formal requirements. There is not even a "formal optional" night like on Regent, or a "dress up or not" night like NCL. The minimum dress code is country club casual, or even elegant casual, every night. As long as a gentleman is wearing long trousers and a colored shirt, he's acceptable in any venue at any time.

Having said that, there is no maximum dress code, and no will look askance if your dh wears a tux or a dinner jacket. However, you WILL be noticed, often in a positive way, but it's almost entirely likely that no one else will share that mode of dress (I've seen it on Regent, which has a similar dress code, but never on Oceania.)

Likewise, no one will comment or perhaps even notice a tie every night, and some may even join in. But, there is a reason why the founder of Oceania insisted there be no tie racks in a Riviera closet. Finally, he has famously been quoted as saying, "If I see someone in a tux on an Oceania ship, I'll assume he is a maire 'd."

Dress as you like and enjoy the Oceania experience. Try relaxing the dress a bit and let your hair down (figuratively speaking, of course); you might enjoy it!

I'm going to agree a bit and also disagree a bit. It's absolutely true that Oceania has no formal nights and no formal requirements. There is not even a "formal optional" night like on Regent, or a "dress up or not" night like NCL. The minimum dress code is country club casual, or even elegant casual, every night. As long as a gentleman is wearing long trousers and a colored shirt, he's acceptable in any venue at any time.

Having said that, there is no maximum dress code, and no will look askance if your dh wears a tux or a dinner jacket. However, you WILL be noticed, often in a positive way, but it's almost entirely likely that no one else will share that mode of dress (I've seen it on Regent, which has a similar dress code, but never on Oceania.)

Likewise, no one will comment or perhaps even notice a tie every night, and some may even join in. But, there is a reason why the founder of Oceania insisted there be no tie racks in a Riviera closet. Finally, he has famously been quoted as saying, "If I see someone in a tux on an Oceania ship, I'll assume he is a maire 'd."

Dress as you like and enjoy the Oceania experience. Try relaxing the dress a bit and let your hair down (figuratively speaking, of course); you might enjoy it!

Well said, Don!

I do get tired of the small group of posters who think it would be nice for them if other people dressed up a bit more. Dress as you like within the general guidelines and let others do the same.

Everyone has a style they find comfortable. For some men it's a polo shirt or a Hawaiian shirt and for others its a jacket and tie. Wear what you like and accept whatever the other guy wears. Thankfully, Oceania allows us that freedom.

Robbie

Hi Pris,

>my DH loves his tux and white dinner jacket,..He will not feel out of place, nor will anyone comment negatively on his appearance.

As noted, call ahead for dining room reservations for a table for 2.

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

Hi Pris,

>my DH loves his tux and white dinner jacket,..He will not feel out of place, nor will anyone comment negatively on his appearance.

As noted, call ahead for dining room reservations for a table for 2.

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

Sorry IMHO he will be out of place..

Jancruz1

Agree with Jan.

Of course you can wear one if you want to but these days, why would you want to burden yourself with all the extra weight/room in your suitcase? Plus, after busy port days, dressing up is the last thing we want to do. You might find you feel the same way.

Sorry IMHO he will be out of place..

Jancruz1

Completely agree. It will look like you had no idea about Oceania and confused it with some other line

I personally do not care what anyone wears but true formal wear -- tuxes and ball gowns -- are out of place on Oceania. Cocktail party clothes are not. That's the limit of formal on Oceania imo

Completely agree. It will look like you had no idea about Oceania and confused it with some other line

I personally do not care what anyone wears but true formal wear -- tuxes and ball gowns -- are out of place on Oceania. Cocktail party clothes are not. That's the limit of formal on Oceania imo

Formal wear would be very out of place on O, IMHO. I have never ever seen a tux or ball gown, I don't think I've seen a man wearing a full suit with tie. I've seen sport coats without ties and cocktail dresses but not many. I see a very classy, well dressed crowd but no formal wear.

In considering Oceania the problem is expectations ... Dress one small expectation, add it to needing a formal cruise setting is another.

However, the included air expectations are I think the most worry some. Expecting with a simple$175 deviation fee to get flights and days of stopovers and on a specific airline and on a different routing than normal, ie Paris rather than Frankfurt or London.

In reading carefully, the OP's questions, one gets a very good picture of their expectations and their desires and likes. Honestly, almost none of their wants and needs will be met,---dress-airfare-dining-atmosphere all not what is within their zone or that which they believe they will need.

I would NOT suggest Oceania..it is a bad match when there exists other excellent options like Crystal,and Silver Sea

IMO, what folks new to O may not realize is some significant number of regular passengers are/were "suits" in their professional life.

Now retired, I still have a couple of tuxes, one of which I will dutifully drag out for the occasional formal fundraiser. But, the last thing I would ever want to do is wear a tux (or a suit or even a blazer with tie) on vacation. And, on an O ship, I know I am not alone in that respect.

IMO, what folks new to O may not realize is some significant number of regular passengers are/were "suits" in their professional life.

Now retired, I still have a couple of tuxes, one of which I will dutifully drag out for the occasional formal fundraiser. But, the last thing I would ever want to do is wear a tux (or a suit or even a blazer with tie) on vacation. And, on an O ship, I know I am not alone in that respect.

I am about to be an Oceania first timer, and I am a current "suit" in my business life. I can certainly appreciate that there may be a majority of cruisers who prefer to leave the jacket, tie or tux at home, but I am not in that camp.

To me, country club casual means more than a golf shirt and pants. I will probably not pack the suit, but I will be more than happy to pack a jacket or 2, together with appropriate casual/dress shirts to wear with them.

I will not feel the least bit out of place, even if I am the only one wearing a jacket, and I am pretty sure that there is enough maturity among my fellow cruisers that would suggest, even though they may not agree with me, they respect my choice to do so.

Randy

I am about to be an Oceania first timer, and I am a current "suit" in my business life. I can certainly appreciate that there may be a majority of cruisers who prefer to leave the jacket, tie or tux at home, but I am not in that camp.

To me, country club casual means more than a golf shirt and pants. I will probably not pack the suit, but I will be more than happy to pack a jacket or 2, together with appropriate casual/dress shirts to wear with them.

I will not feel the least bit out of place, even if I am the only one wearing a jacket, and I am pretty sure that there is enough maturity among my fellow cruisers that would suggest, even though they may not agree with me, they respect my choice to do so.

Randy

Not to worry. That's a nice thing about O: all versions of what I would call "preppy" work. I mention that because the "uniform" (i.e., blazer and khakis) is not an uncommon sight.

What you won't see much of (if any) are backwards-turned baseball caps, droopy pants, velvet track suits, etc.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I've mentioned this before but on our first Renaissance cruise I saw a party of 8 entering the GDR in their formal gowns and tuxes. They were having a ball and I enjoyed seeing them in all their finery.

I see no problem in someone dressing formally who wants to do so. It's just that the rest of us are not required to do so as well.

Mura