Sirena Question

TERRIER1

I know that the suites are being renovated with new bathrooms but I can't find any artist rendering or statements regarding the status of other cabins. We are in a veranda and I wonder if during the renovation will the shower curtain currently on the "R" ships be replaced with glass doors. Does anyone know?

Gee, I hope not. The bathrooms are crowded enough and there would be no room for a shower door to open without taking up half the room, banging into the sink and toilet.

Hi Dave. Guess you are right. Never thought about it. Looking forward to be on the Sirena. We like the "R" ships.

When we sailed on Viking Ingvi, one of the new "long ships", on the Rhine, I especially notice the shower. It was very close to the size and tapered shape of the "R" ships' standard showers, yet it had a glass enclosure. I wish now I had taken more pictures and measurements, it was a clever arrangement that opened into the shower at the far end from the shower head. I'm almost positive it would work on Sirena and her sister ships.

The best I can do is a drawing of the floor plan; the shower door is closest to the door of the bathroom.

Viking-Cruises-longship-Veranda-cabin-plan.jpg

This may not have occurred to you, but I have the feeling that the Staff dislike glass shower enclosures, along with all the attendant wiping and drying which they require to remain sanitary and aesthetically pleasing.

Shower curtains are virtually maintenance free......are they really that intrusive?

This may not have occurred to you, but I have the feeling that the Staff dislike glass shower enclosures, along with all the attendant wiping and drying which they require to remain sanitary and aesthetically pleasing.

Shower curtains are virtually maintenance free......are they really that intrusive?

Yes!!

And, the attendant wiping and drying is necessary for the 3 sides not blocked by the shower curtain so any additional cleaning is minimal and after all, we pay a premium for Oceania so why should the staff working conditions override the needs of the paying customers???

Seems you haven't been aboard lately so why is this a concern??? And, since you only cruise the "upper" suites which do have the doors, guess your elite status requires doors while the peasants have to put up with intrusive curtains.

Edited by rallydave

I am not sure how a door would work

Don's pic of the Viking ship has a different layout

the sink counter is next to the shower on O

so a door may open inward might work but if it were to opw outward it may hit the counter or the entry door

I wonder how many accidents would happen

The shower curtain sometimes is friendly but it does not bother me that much

I am not sure how a door would work

Don's pic of the Viking ship has a different layout

the sink counter is next to the shower on O

so a door may open inward might work but if it were to opw outward it may hit the counter or the entry door

I wonder how many accidents would happen

The shower curtain sometimes is friendly but it does not bother me that much

It would work pretty good. There is already a fixed glass (or plastic) panel between the shower and the sink. Extend that fixed panel a little more than halfway. Then, install a glass door, hinged at the opposite end (the "foot" if the shower apparatus is the head), and hinged so it opens inward, along the panel between the shower and the entry passageway. Step into the shower, move forward a little and reach back to close the door. The width of the door is controlled by the width of the shower at the foot.

It may be the "R" ship showers are a bit too narrow at the foot so the door would be too narrow. I'll take measurements in January, but that will probably be too late for Sirena.

It would work pretty good. There is already a fixed glass (or plastic) panel between the shower and the sink. Extend that fixed panel a little more than halfway. Then, install a glass door, hinged at the opposite end (the "foot" if the shower apparatus is the head), and hinged so it opens inward, along the panel between the shower and the entry passageway. Step into the shower, move forward a little and reach back to close the door. The width of the door is controlled by the width of the shower at the foot.

It may be the "R" ship showers are a bit too narrow at the foot so the door would be too narrow. I'll take measurements in January, but that will probably be too late for Sirena.

I do understand the concept

just not sure if the opening would work ..I rarely go around measuring things ;)

Yes, they are :D

They may not be intrusive at one's home but they are in the tiny BRs on the R ships. They may seem to be "maintenance free" but they are not exactly sanitary, unless they are "maintained" clean.

I do understand the concept

just not sure if the opening would work ..I rarely go around measuring things ;)

Neither do I -- but in this case, it's the only feasible way to see if the concept would work. I remember being in the Viking shower, looking at the size and tapered shape, marveling at how simple the concept is once you get your tongue around having the shower door open out.

Frankly, I think the R ship showers are long enough that a concept like the O ship tub showers would work -- they have a partial glass enclosure but no doo, and are totally open at the foot of the tub. There are already drains in the floor of the R ships, so any water that might splash out would be easily handled..

Frankly, anything would be better than that curtain. It billows and clings. It is better than it used to be; back in 2006-2007 they were too short. The R ship showers aren't really that iny -- I have it on good authority that two reasonably slender people can fit -- but the curtain continues to be a problem.

This is Oceania's answer to my question if the veranda cabins will be retrofitted on Sirena to glass shower doors.

"Kindly be advised all Penthouse, Vista and Owners Suites will have a glass enclosure, and concierge and below will have shower curtains."

This is Oceania's answer to my question if the veranda cabins will be retrofitted on Sirena to glass shower doors.

"Kindly be advised all Penthouse, Vista and Owners Suites will have a glass enclosure, and concierge and below will have shower curtains."

Isn't that how the other R- ships are fitted out ???