Glacier Bay in Regatta itinerary?

azam71209

I was just looking at a brochure we received today with a beautiful picture of Glacier Bay, the name Glacier Bay written on the photo and under it Alaska May 16, 2016 MS Regatta.

But I don't see any cruise that actually goes into Glacier Bay. I would love to be on a Oceania cruise that includes Glacier Bay but my understanding is that Oceania is locked out of Glacier Bay because only a few ships per day can go in and the "old guard" locked up the slots years ago.

Does anybody have any information on this?

Thanks, Mary

I was just looking at a brochure we received today with a beautiful picture of Glacier Bay, the name Glacier Bay written on the photo and under it Alaska May 16, 2016 MS Regatta.

But I don't see any cruise that actually goes into Glacier Bay. I would love to be on a Oceania cruise that includes Glacier Bay but my understanding is that Oceania is locked out of Glacier Bay because only a few ships per day can go in and the "old guard" locked up the slots years ago.

Thanks, Mary

Given a choice I'd always opt for "up close and personal" with the majestic Hubbard Glacier (where Regatta usually visits).

Thanks, Mary

I've been looking closely at Alaska cruises also, and you're right - Oceania doesn't go into Glacier Bay for the reason you have stated.

I've been to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. There's a reason they have to restrict access to Glacier Bay. Hubbard Glacier is nice but no comparison. Weird that Oceania would put Glacier Bay on its brochure cover if it turns out they aren't allowed to go there.

Anyway, if Oceania ever does go to Glacier Bay, I would definitely sign up.

Mary

I say this with personal insight and knowledge as former Ranger natitalist of the National Park Service and worked with many who were staff at Glacier Bay national reserve and park.

The NPS years ago determined that there is a finite number of ships, visito and their impact on everything in the park... They fixed this number and are or have been considering revising downward... So every person on land or sea has to request a permit . Princess Holland NCL were the first in the region and they signed on to along term permit and with only so ,many permits...people and ships applying for entry will simply not be able to.

The Hubbard is also part of the NPS ( mt St Elias) which is admistered from the Glacier Bay park HQ. There is a permit for that too... And the other lines, quickly did what was done in Glacier bay...

Tracy Arm is not a park and has no restriction OK I can say with 150% certainty that unless the other lines decide to stop sailing there will be no access for any other ship And even if as permit slot opens up, the NPS's thinking will probably be to remove that slot for the future... I can tell you that knowing the problems the park is having is not going to expand on the present limits.......... And You can take that to the bank as the reality for now and the future 20 years from now because national parks everywhere are getting over loved by larger and larger numbers of visitor.

And That's a fact Jack