Michaels Club changed on Equinox?

smith6

I heard rumours there are changes being made to Michaels Clubs which will feature beers from around the world etc. Does anyknow if Michaels has been changed on the Equinox?

As of 2 Jan, no. I understand that this will only initially be available on the Reflection.

What a big waste of space. Hardly anyone was there during our cruise on Silhouete.

Hi Isabella,

Very interesting to hear. I've been curious if this concept will prove to be a success or not. Would be great to hear from others.

How about the Wine Cellar? On our S class cruises, that was never very crowded.

Another wasted space, so is Molecular bar- nobody was ever there. On Silhouette, they offered 2 for 1 martinis on some evenings to get people there....what is that tell you?

I wish they make a nice piano bar.................

I was happy to see the much improved brew list. The Spouse is a fan of dark brews and was much more excited once he saw the list of what will be available after the renovation. I have seen a number of other comments from wives who reported happy husbands.

But I don't drink beer myself, hate the stuff. I don't see how having the improved brew selection has to be in conflict with a piano bar/club. To bad if they are just going to have the beer and nothing else going on in the space. Plenty of people seemd to have enjoyed the space in it's former incarnation. Perhaps if the brew only plan proves less popular than expected they could find a happy medium?

Another wasted space, so is Molecular bar- nobody was ever there. On Silhouette, they offered 2 for 1 martinis on some evenings to get people there....what is that tell you?

Wow, the Molecular Bar was quite busy on our 7 January Eclipse cruise.

In fact it was so busy that the bartender had to call for back up.

Agree that Wine Cellar for the most part was desserted.

Michael's Club was also under utilized, but the ensemble lounge was packed.

As always, the martini bar was quite busy.

It'll be interesting to see how things will be on the Silhouette.

Mari:)

Michaels Club on Eclipse only had entertainment a few times during the week. We enjoyed a show by singer Owen Stevenson (playing both guitar and piano) one night but there were only a handful of other people.

I still like the beer concept, as does DH, and am eagerly anticipating our visits on Summit.

Huh, the Molecular Bar is by far my favorite bar on the ship - by a large margin. It was quite lively on my last couple of cruises and some nights it was hard to get a seat. It is only open later in the day - perhaps you were walking by during the morning or afternoon.

Oh, heck just throw my data points in... On our cruise in Dec, Michaels Club seem pretty quiet. Cellar Masters was pretty quiet (save for wine tasting events). Molecular bar, while never packed, was quite steady. Martini Bar was packed.

Impressions from back-to-back cruises (total = 28 days) in Fall of 2010 on Equinox, when we had a premium package and thus spent a lot of time at various "drinking holes:"

1. Passport, Ensemble, and Martini Bars -- moderately to very full, most of the time.

2. Cellar Masters -- nearly empty when we were there (before dinner), but we don't know about later hours.

3. Molecular Bar -- never anyone sitting beyond the bar itself, and never more than three or four people at the bar (perhaps because of drink prices [$12] and drinks' ingredients [weird]). Since we had the package and are adventuresome, we tried every one of the (14?) drinks on the menu and at least one off-menu drink. Three or four were very interesting, but we won't bother to visit again in the future. We think that the MB area should be used for something else. Another specialty restaurant would be nice, but there would be no galley for it.

4. Michael's Club -- packed to overflowing most nights, because of outstanding piano entertainment by Katie Gugilelmo and excellent bar service. We consider it ludicrous for Celebrity to cease having a pianist in Michael's Club, especially if the replacement is beer (almost all of which displeases us). It won't be long, we think, before "X" re-thinks its new harebrained scheme. As we've said elsewhere, Michael's needs almost constant, live musical entertainment -- a combination of (a) nightly performances by professionals [two to four hours], (b) occasional sing-alongs, and © nightly performances by talented amateurs [i.e., guests singing karaoke, two hours].

My impression of the Molecular Bar on a few different ships now is much the same. Fun to watch the making of the odd drinks but the tasting...not so much....we enjoyed the visit a couple of times but then moved on to other locations .... and never even stopped by on our Silhouette cruise last Sept. It appears to be a "fad" that may have already peaked, never saw a crowd there even at prime times...on the other hand the martini bar was packed with people.

I would really like to hear from someone who has been on Equinox in the last 6 months or so about what Michael's Club is doing on that ship. Is there entertainment? Has it been converted to a beer lounge? Would love to hear that the piano player jg51 refers to is still there and will be for our Apr 30 cruise. Does anyone out there know????

... Molecular Bar ... appears to be a "fad" that may have already peaked ...

Michael's Club ... Would love to hear that the piano player jg51 refers to is still there and will be for our Apr 30 cruise. Does anyone out there know????

We agree about MB being a now faded fad.

We apologize for misspelling pianist Katie's surname (Guglielmo).

We cannot find anything recent about her on the whole Internet. Here at CruiseCritic, the last reference was to her playing on Equinox in January, 2011. She may have decided to return to land-based work. She is a show-business veteran [in her 60s?] who met royalty and accompanied various stars, but is a very unpretentious, fun-loving person who would be glad to share a dinner with you in the buffet restaurant.

The ship also had a second talented pianist (from Belarus) who played classical music, jazz, and "pop" in the Passport and Ensemble Bars.

Michael's Club has been my favorite late-night haunt. I could always get a fine single-malt or nice brandy. Does this mean it's beer only now?

Hi Sailorboy,

From what I was told, cognacs continue to be served. If you would like something else, the Michaels servers will be pleased to obtain it from another Bar.

Archived