Med in October

honumaui

We have cruised Windstar 4 times so don't need to be sold on their service. We have never been to the Med. Only did river cruises in Europe. Has anyone been to the Mediterranean in the fall? Would we be better off on the Breeze ( haven't tried the new ships yet) or the Wind Surf ? Is the weather usually really bad? Of course weather is always unpredictable. We are thinking back to backs ..Italy to Barcelona and B. to Lisbon this Oct. ( if space is still available).

We encountered quite a bit of rain on our mid-October Windsurf cruise last year. We were on the Rome to Venice itinerary. I've heard it said on these boards that the weather sort of "turns" in mid-October. Prior to that it's less likely to rain. But as you say, weather is unpredictable - especially these days.

Hi Honumaui. I lived in Genoa for a semester studying architecture, and the weather can be iffy from about mid-October on. But I never stopped enjoying my time in the Mediterranean, and traveled a lot (by train, back then). For me, the excitement had everything to do with seeing new places in a totally spontaneous way. I'm so controlling and obsessed with planning the perfect vacation now, but back then I was a carefree single student.

As I recall, mid-September to mid-October had many beautiful days. But nothing is guaranteed, and you have to hope for the best.

I can't predict which ship you'd prefer. Others have experience on both types and can make recommendations.

How important is the weather factor in your decision-making? We are doing a cruise in the Adriatic starting 30 September, and Windstar has a number of great ones throughout the Med during September and early October.

If the itineraries you mentioned are really important, you may consider sailing on Wind Surf when they do those trips in September. The sequence is reversed -- Lisbon to Barcelona on September 8th, and Barcelona to Rome on September 16th. Have fun!!! :D

I have sailed in the med in Oct. many times. It is a great time to be there. The weather is good. Still warm, but not horridly hot like it is in summer. Great time since the big crowds are gone. also, it is the end of the Med cruise season, you can get good deals on clothes. Last October I got great discounts in Mykonos. Cruise ships are less crowded. Ports are les crowded. Cruise fares are low. Plane fares are lower than summer. Have a great time.

We sailed the Wind Surf last October (Rome-Barcelona)...we were fortunate with wonderful weather, seas were a bit rough at times but no big deal. I agree that the ship was much less crowded as well as the ports. Go for it!!

My rule of thumb is to never begin a Western Med cruise after my birthday (Oct. 6), due to weather. Gets cooler and more rain as October wears on. Eastern Med will be a bit warmer and less rain in mid to late October.