Wind Surf or Royal Clipper?

Jother

I'm begging for advice as to which to select for a solo cruise in December - Wind Surf or Royal Clipper. I have not sailed on any ships other than the mainstream big boys and I'm feeling the need to try something new.

I mainly cruise for rest, relaxation, laying out by a pool and snorkeling. I don't shop, do city tours or partake of the ship's entertainment. I LOVE the idea of a water sports platform at the back of each of those ships (which will save me a ton in snorkeling shore excursions). I'm casual in nature, don't care for "snooty" folks - - but I do enjoy good, intelligent conversations. I don't need gourmet meals. Just decent food.

I want to experience the casual ambiance of a much smaller ship - - but going too small too soon might be too much of a shock - - so I'm considering the Wind Surf and Royal Clipper (also Azamara Quest and Oceania Riviera). The Wind Surf pricing averages out, with airfare, at $425/day and the Royal Clipper at $480/day. Both are outside cabins. (I'm used to balcony cabins on cruises, so this alone will take some getting used to.) :cool:

Would any of you fellow sailors who have sailed on both the Royal Clipper and Wind Surf ships be willing to share your opinions with me? I would be very appreciative! Thanks in advance. "Joth":confused:

I have only sailed Windsurf so I can't give you a comparison, but do want to caution you based on a few of your expectations:

1) the Sports Deck: it is not open at every stop - depends on the port and the prevailing winds - if it's too rough, they do not open it, and I think some ports don't allow it. Maybe it is only open in tendered ports? I'm not sure about that.

2) I do not think you can snorkel off the back. You can check out snorkel and fins for free and use them in ports, but I think for safety reasons they do not allow snorkeling off the platform. They do have little hobie cats, a big trampoline and some floating mattresses to use.

I have heard from someone who likes the Royal Clipper that it is more of a technical sailing ship and does not have some of the little luxuries and comforts of the Windstar, but since I haven't experienced them both, I can't give you direct input on that.

That said, the Windsurf is my favorite of all of the Windstar ships that I have tried - Breeze, Windstar and Windspirit. I like the size of it and the activities and love the time spent with the sails up.

Agree with all that acruisefan said. We love the Wind Surf and have also been in port with a couple of the Clippers. Met several people in the Caribbean who were passengers. Some observations were they seemed to be younger and a bit more "free spirited". Much more casual than Windstar which is casual but not as "beachy ". Many Europeans in the group. More smokers if that has any meaning for you. Reminded us of the old Windjammer line that we took years ago. More sailing and partying. More singles. loved it in our 30's but prefer the niceties of Windstar now. I would carefully read reviews on cruise boards and talk to a travel agent who specializes in the smaller lines. Have fun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks SO much for getting back to me. I am in a total quandary. But, for some reason, the Royal Clipper seems to be "talking" to me. It's the most expensive of the quotes, and the air fare to Barbados is horrendous, so I just don't know what to do. Both the luxury of Windstar AND the bohemian ambiance of the Royal Clipper appeal to me. Looks like I couldn't go wrong with either. Thanks AGAIN! "joth"

I really appreciate your input! No doubt, at some time in the near future I will "try" both Wind Surf AND Royal Clipper. They both have great appeal to me. I am so fortunate to have these "tough" choices to make.

Based on reading your prior posts on CC and your love of balconies and your experience on the big ships, I would suggest you do Windstar first and then a Clipper if you feel you'd like to get more rustic. The advice is worth what you pay for it so have fun either way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I love verandas on big ships. It's my own private outdoor space where I don't have to fight for a chaise or listen to loud bands or kids. On Windstar, the entire outdoor space is quiet....no kids,no loud music, no pool bands or dumb games, and never a problem finding a chair/chaise in a great location. I just got off the Windsurf. Many singles on the ship. It was delight...quiet and relaxing. Service and food were excellent. Did I miss the veranda? Not really. I have also sailed on Azamara many times. Azamara has verandas and is very nice. However, compared to the food and service on Windstar, Azamara is not as good. If you really want to relax, Windstar is tops. The Windsurf is especially quiet when they hoist the sails and sail away.

I agree, on a big ship a balcony is a requirement. On the Surf we never had a problem finding a quiet space to enjoy the sunshine on deck. One afternoon on a sea day we found the two chaise loungers in the middle of the very back of the ship facing the wake available in the middle of the afternoon--no chair hogs. We used them for about an hour and then moved on so someone else could enjoy them. :)

Thanks so much. I think I'm going to take your advice and book the Wind Surf first. It's the largest of the "sailing" vessels and will give me the opportunity to "try out" the smaller ships before I go "all the way" and book a Star Clipper ship.

I really appreciate your advice.

A quick note here: I've sailed Wind Surf, Wind Star, Star Clipper and Star Flyer (but not Royal Clipper). I put the Star Clipper ships only a wee step below Windstar. And I'd never call them rustic. Very very nice accommodations, food and crew. Beautiful ships. Star Clipper ships are a mite more casual, but again, pretty much on a par with the Windstar tall ships. I wouldn't call any of them a party ship, and a far cry from the old Windjammer Barefoot cruising days, of which I also am familiar. I can recommend both Windstar or Star Clipper sailing ships. I especially like the fact that with Star Clipper ships, as noted, many passengers come from European countries, Canada and sometimes Australia. Lots of fun! But do note: all onboard expenses are done in euros.

I also sail the tall ship Arabella (almost 200 feet, 40 passengers) and the Island Windjammers tall ships (100-150 feet, 10-26 passengers, depending on the ship), and those, while much smaller, definitely would meet your wishes listed in first post. Heck, you can even dive off their bowsprits, or use their rope swings. Plus snorkle gear and toys on board at no extra cost. And no, these are not rustic ships, either, and not party boats. Just beautiful ships that are smaller and more casual. Passengers range from 20s to 80s, solos, duos, small groups.

I have not yet cruised with Windstar but did sail Star Clipper in the Med several years ago. It was just not for me.

My cabin was tight and since this is a pure sailing ship, the motion on some of the sailing days was overwhelming. I am not one to feel seasick but I was very close a few times.

IMO, the dining room was cramped and the choices limited. While perhaps "rustic" is not the word I would choose, I did find the vessel to be pretty basic. There was no gym (a biggie for me as I do workout daily). I knew that going in so not a surprise. Overall, the amenities were limited IMO.

Star Clipper IMO was great for someone who wants to experience some of the actual sailing process and techniques. It was just not for me and I would not cruise with them again.

Edited by caviargal

Yes, I imagine the sailing ships can seem "basic" to those who enjoy all that the mega cruise ships have to offer. The sailing ships appeal to a certain clientele, and for those of us who love them and the more casual atmosphere and lifestyle, we're so very happy to have them.

I can't thank you enough for your input and opinions. As someone who has always sailed on the big ships, you have really helped me "prepare" for the total difference of these small vessels.

I'm still "shopping" for the best rate for December and am facing the total sticker shock of airfares from Dallas to St. Maartin (Wind Surf) and Barbados (Royal Clipper) - both are over $1000! That, in addition to the solo rate for an outside cabin, and I could almost afford TWO cruises on a "regular" cruise in balcony cabins. But I really want to try one of the sailing ships.

Again, thank for all the great info! Happy cruising to you! "joth"

Airfare: maybe this could help

AARP Magazine, April 2016, says:

"You're likely to get the lowest fare on domestic and international flights if you buy your ticket on a weekend, finds a new report that analyzed some 10 billion ticket transactions. Tuesday follows as best weekday....Friday is usually the most expensive. Book your domestic flight 57 days before departure for the best fare.....for fights to the caribbean, book 77 days prior....."

report was done by Expedia and Airlines Reporting Corp.

Edited by SailorJM

We are working our way down to the smaller ships. Hope to make it to Clipper or Windstar in a few years!

I can recommend both Azamara and Oceania. We loved our eastern Med cruise on the Azamara Journey, and well as a trans-Atlantic on the Oceania Marina (both 'sister' ships to the ones you mentioned).

Both very casual (country club casual), with good to excellent food in our opinion. We found the Oceania crowd a bit more international - Germans, Canadians, British, Australians and New Zealanders; the Azamara group was more American.

Hope this may help in some of your future cruising.