Glitter & Glam cruise question

Magnum60

For those that might have recently done this cruise [aboard the Windstar Legend] does anyone remember what ports required the ship to rest at anchor or dock side? Trying to figure how often the swim platform might be deployed. Barcelona, Monte Carlo and Rome are dockside ports but I'm not finding info on the other ports this cruise visits. I could call Windstar and perhaps get a corporate answer from someone that's never been aboard a ship but I prefer to defer to the experts here at Cruise Critic.

Edited by Magnum60

Even at some tender ports the swim platform won't be used.

I understand that 'ducklite' as I've used these ships often. You and I know, while others may not, that the swim platform can't always be used due to the sea state and a few other reasons. We also know that it will never be deployed when the ship is dock side.

What I was curious about was the known number of times this particular cruise itinerary is scheduled to be at anchor. With only two relatively small tenders (sometimes augmented by fun Zodiac transport to shore) the wait for tender rides can sometimes be lengthy - especially if you're waiting on shore in rain and your ship is moored far off shore. Quick access to and from shore via the ships gangplank was the main focus of my question. Also, if the sea state is too feisty to safely load the tenders the captain might be forced to abandon that port completely and move on. That issue pretty much disappears when you're dockside.

What I was curious about was the known number of times this particular cruise itinerary is scheduled to be at anchor. With only two relatively small tenders (sometimes augmented by fun Zodiac transport to shore) the wait for tender rides can sometimes be lengthy - especially if you're waiting on shore in rain and your ship is moored far off shore. Quick access to and from shore via the ships gangplank was the main focus of my question. Also, if the sea state is too feisty to safely load the tenders the captain might be forced to abandon that port completely and move on. That issue pretty much disappears when you're dockside.

As mentioned, we only tendered at Portofino and there we tendered using local tenders. Presume that's a negotiated arrangement since others have mentioned it. But other than that I'm sure it tendering vs. docking can vary cruise to cruise.

I'm thinking of booking some of the ship tours for our 'Glitter & Glam' cruise on August the 27th. I've checked out other small group tours and for us the Windstar options look to be the best choice for what we want to see. Surprisingly, the Windstar tours were very price competitive with other tour company offerings for similar tours.

Is there a way to get approximate tour departure times for the Windstar tours? Windstar tells you the approximate time length and difficulty of the tours but not when they depart the dock. That missing information is very useful for scheduling the rest of the day when we're in a port. I know a late port arrival can mess up a hard number but assuming we arrive as scheduled I'd like the info.

I know I could call Windstar but if there is another way to get [approximate] start times for the offered tours without calling Windstar please advise.

Our tours pretty much all departed between 9:00 and 9:30-ish. There could have been one that was a little earlier and one that was a little later, but that seems to be a pretty good benchmark. We were delayed in one port due to a transport issue with a shore excursion that probably 50% of the passengers were booked on, but they were very good about keeping us up-to-date on what was happening and even suggested we go ashore and see a sight that was literally across the street from the pier that would take about 20 minutes to see, and told us to be back at the dock in about 45 minutes and they would make sure we were all accounted for before they left.

Thanks Ducklite. My TA sent me the tour departure and return times yesterday afternoon. Your remembered tour departure times and the times Windstar forwarded to my TA were almost identical. Great memory!

As the 'three sisters' no longer have a self service laundry (they used to back in early Seaborne days) I've forgotten if Windstar offers its guests the option of sending items out that just need to be pressed? We really don't need the entire laundry service. We also know that travel irons are a no-no on cruise ships. Neither of us are fans of the wrinkled look. We don't want to look like we stuffed our entire wardrobes into a duffel bag. Wrinkled cloths tend to say, "sure looks like you did".

Edited by Magnum60