Power outlets and usb ports in room on Wind Surf

Robyn France

We will be on the Wind Surf for the Scandinavian Tapestry sailing this July. Can someone pls tell me whether the current is 110 or 220 on the ship and in the staterooms. Is there a USB port on the television in the room? I'd like to get a little surge protector for the room to keep our devices charged---fitbits, phones, ipads, etc. All suggestions welcomed. Many thanks.

Surf is 220. I bring Insignia power adapter from Best Buy.$29.95. Have had others. This one is best IMO. It has plugs that slide depending on country and USB port. I also carry Power Bank dual charger PC11200 which will charge 2 usb devices at once. Bought it on Amazon. Never looked for USB on TV. There is Bose port for music. Maybe it has one but have not looked for it as these two items are more than serviceable for anything we need. Have a great trip. Wonderful itinerary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The only 110 that I've found on the Surf is in the bathroom for an electric shaver. Here's from the Windstar website under FAQ:

ELECTRIC APPLIANCES Voltage on Wind Star and Wind Spirit is standard 110 AC. Voltage on Wind Surf and Star Pride is 220, special converters are needed. Guests are encouraged to bring their own travel adaptors as they are not available on board. For your convenience, there is a hair dryer in each stateroom. -

We do not bring a voltage converter as most of the newer appliances adjust to voltage on their own but you do need the correct plug which is why I recommend the Insignia Power Adapter. It is not a voltage converter. It has pop out multiple plug configurations and the USB port. We were on the Surf 3 times in last year and used them each time. Actually travel with two. They're light and great for the European hotels. Just remember to unplug and take with you when you leave!

• 2 months later...

Don't use an adapter AND a converter at the same time. I did it back in 2014 and it fried my camera battery and charger. My charger had dual voltage. Good thing I was in my cabin when it happened. Burnt battery smells bad. Learned the hard way.

Have a great trip.

dandee2

• 4 weeks later...

Two 110 outlets in each room? Fantastic--I would like to be able to recharge phones and fitbit each night. I haven't decided whether to bring Ipad or not--it's a 2 and heavier than a lot of the newer ones. I haven't tried downloading books to my anddroid phone yet (5.5 in screen)--sort of behind the times as I still prefer holding a book. Thank you so much for all your info.

If anyone has used the 110 outlets on the Wind Surf for charging , I would love to know.

• 3 weeks later...

Leave any form of surge protector at home. Maritime law forbids the use of land based surge protectors on all vessels at sea. Don't even ask how large a marine surge protector is and what it costs. If found your device will likely be confiscated. Do bring a very short extension cord that allows you to plug in a few gadgets all at the same time (battery chargers most likely) as the number of AC power outlets in most cruise ship cabins is few.

I brought a got an inexpensive multi-charging device from IKEA for about $10. The cord snaps into the rectangular opening and charges. Then you opnly need the connecting cords. I also brought a European outlet plug so that I could use my US items. Windsurf has European outlets.

I brought a got an inexpensive multi-charging device from IKEA for about $10. The cord snaps into the rectangular opening and charges. Then you opnly need the connecting cords. I also brought a European outlet plug so that I could use my US items. Windsurf has European outlets.

Is this the one you used?

2z69yf6.jpg

I'm a bit electronically challenged...The Ikea device can be used to charge phones in one US type outlet and bringing a European outlet plug would let me use my electrical US appliances. Is that correct?

Thanks so much!

Is this the one you used?

2z69yf6.jpg

I'm a bit electronically challenged...The Ikea device can be used to charge phones in one US type outlet and bringing a European outlet plug would let me use my electrical US appliances. Is that correct?

Thanks so much!

There will be one outlet by the desk that you will be able to plug that into without an adapter. My iPad and iPhone charge off a USB cable, so that would be fine for them. My camera batteries require a charger that requires a 110 outlet, I used the one in the desk for them with no problem. You might want to consider an extra battery for the camera so one can be charging while the other is in use.

We travel with two of these Insignia adapters. They will take just about any type plug in and the out options are UK, US, AUSTRALIA, CHINA. EURO. Has a USB that can be used same time as electrical appliance. With two we have options of both outlets on Surf plus all the hotels worldwide. Bought them at Best Buy. Very lightweight.

1469931625304.jpg.71bb8cb21606412390337c0652b73781.jpg

1469931639724.jpg.a7c1942382b00c6d42949415bb653c82.jpg

1469931654507.jpg.0e30aa8f82cbb98c262f6b645b7a31ca.jpg

Keep in mind that the 120 V plug outlets in the cabin are not flush mount outlets they're recessed outlets. They also do not incorporate a ground slot wherein many chargers have three prong grounded plugs. Best solution is to find a very short extension cord like the ones used to move a 'wall wart' transformer away from a terminal strip and snip the ground lug off that extension cord at home. It's pretty simple to remove the ground lug with a pair of pliers. Those miniature extension cords can be found at any office supply type of store or on line. Mine measures about 4 inches long from plug to plug and is easy to pack. Many US corded devices also have plug ends that won't fit into the outlet recess so that small extension cord really becomes an necessity. The 220 V outlets are also recessed. I can't remember if the outlet behind the TV is flush mount or recessed?

I always carry two of those cords just in case a fellow passenger finds out the above information - the hard way.

That's why we like the Insignia. It has fit every plug on all of the ships and everything else we've come across in European hotels and homes. I also have a Belkin power strip that will plug into it but am mindful not to use it on the ships as their wiring is not equipped for the load of multiple devices on one outlet. With two of the Insignia ones, each having a usb, and two outlets in the cabins we are able to keep everything charged. I also carry a portable usb battery pack that will recharge devices about 3 or 4 times each, two at a time. I throw it in my bag for long tours so we don't run out of battery for cameras and phones. How did they do it before all of this technology? Just watched the HBO John Adams series on Netflix. Letters on ships took months not to mention the sailings themselves. We are SO spoiled!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by sb44

The current draw form charging devices on a strip will not be a problem unless you brought a steamer or some other power hungry device with you. Do not use any device or terminal strip that is surge protected. Land based surge protectors are forbidden by maritime law for use on ships. They can be a fire hazard when used with the 'floating ground' electrical systems used on ships.