Star Breeze - Veranda / Candles reservations?

gcmv

Just booked a cruise on Star Breeze around Siciliy mid September.

For us, dining al-fresco is very important - we really enjoyed feeling a slight wind while dining on our last Seadream cruise.

As the dining area of Veranda / Candles looks great, we prefer to have our dinner there as often as possible. Is there a need for reservation? If yes, is this limited (to once or twice a cruise)? Is it heavily frequented or do most guests go to Amorpha because of the more elegant atmosphere, ac, etc ...?

Thanks in advance for any answer or hint.

We've been on 2 Windstar cruises. Once on Wind Spirit and once on Star Legend. On both cruises reservations were required for Candles. And because demand was high you were limited to one reservation for the week.

They say one reservation per werk for Candles but it also drpends on how full the ship is. If you go late or ask nightly usually you can get in because people change their minds. Great cruise and Sicily is so beautiful. Happy Sailing

• 2 weeks later...

Not as far as I am aware. I would recommend you just book as soon as you board if you have a particular night in mind. We have done two Windstar cruises and never had a problem booking the nights we wanted.

This is only my opinion, but we prefer the food in Amphora (which by the way is not stuffy at all) to the food in candles. Unless the cruise was over a week, we would be unlikely to eat there at all. So, there may be others like us who don't even want a reservation.

Edited by Pudgesmom

@ridethetide: Thanks a lot for this more than helpful information.

@Pudgesmom: I tried the search function with "candles" + "breeze" and could not find anything helpful ... ;)

As a Windstar-first-timer, I don't know if Candles is exactly the same on each ship?!

We are on the Star Breeze leaving Rome on Sun, Aug 14 and returning back to Rome on Aug 27th. We have found a full day wine tour around Bandol & Cassis in a 4 person van. There are only 2 of us and we are looking for another couple to share the cost. If there are 4 people, the cost is only 95 euros each. David

We've found that securing a reservation or even a repeat reservation in Candles increases if you are a group of four. My wife and I normally choose to eat alone and as late as possible but if you like having dinner in Candles securing a reservation for a party of four can sometimes help.

Frankly we like the MDR more than Candles because engine exhaust noise shouldn't be a part of the dinning experience nor should the occasional puff of wind blowing stuff around. As late eaters head waiters can usually secure the same table for two and servers we're familiar with in the MDR every evening. Because you can't reserve a table on Windstar I've sometimes requested head waiters [upon finding that 'our' table is occupied] to call the lounge we'll be waiting in to tell our bar tender that the table we like will be available in a few minutes. Lines like Windstar that have exceptional and willing to please staff will do wonderful things for their guests that treat them with respect and friendliness.

We are on the Star Breeze leaving Rome on Sun, Aug 14 and returning back to Rome on Aug 27th. We have found a full day wine tour around Bandol & Cassis in a 4 person van. There are only 2 of us and we are looking for another couple to share the cost. If there are 4 people, the cost is only 95 euros each. David

This post is now on the Roll Call thread for this cruise.