Transportation from Venice airport to hotel near Rialto Bridge

marshalws

A water taxi would be easiest, but it could easily set you back 80 euros or more. A much cheaper option is the Alilaguna airport boat (take the "Linea Arancio" or Orange Line), which stopped at Rialto the last time I checked. You'll find more information at http://www.alilaguna.it/index.en.html, and you might want to do a Google search on "Venice airport boat" for more information (including how to find your way from the arrivals terminal to the airpoort-boat and water-taxi piers at VCE, which can be confusing if you haven't visited Marco Polo Airport lately).

One other thought: Do you HAVE to stay at a hotel near Rialto? Would it be possible to change your plans? A hotel in the Piazzale Roma area (where the airport buses come in, and where you can get a taxi to the cruise terminal) would be more convenient, especially if you're traveling with more than one small suitcase.

Two different options....

Water taxi would be the fastest most scenic way, but more expensive. Some hotels have docks if they are on the water and the water taxi will pull right up and there you are. I don't know which hotel you are staying at but can say you are staying in a great area.

Second way would be to land taxi to Venice then either walk (too far really to walk), or take the Vaporetto (water bus) to the Rialto bridge stop and then walk to your hotel.

I have done both and each one had it's pluses and minuses. Personally if I had to choose and wasn't concerned about the cost, I would water taxi. You get a wonderful cruise, feel like a celebrity (think Venice film festival) and get the best view of the Grand Canal you could ever wish for.

I would forget about the Alilaguna. I did this once after taking my daughter to the airport and it stops at so many different locations and took so much longer and was in a closed in, hard to see out of tender like boat I got seasick before I reached the stop closest to our apartment, which wasn't even the closest Vaporetto stop. Some people can handle it, but I couldn't and won't again.

Don't forget to plan your route to the ship. If you don't mind walking a bit take the Vaporetto, if you want to be delivered right to the ship take a water taxi.

Check out the passes for the Vaporetto, you might want to purchase one to get around instead of purchasing tickets for each ride.

If you need anything else about Venice let me know. I may live in AZ but my heart belongs in Venice.

Take the regular city bus from outside the airport and get off at the Vapaetto dock, then take it for very little money and it is very easy. Walking in Venice is what it is all about. You can actually walk from the the boat dock to the ship if necessary but there will be buses.

I wouldn't take the 11.30 flight unless you take your own cases off.our cases didn't appear with the others cases and magically appeared right at the end. we ended up very tight for our 12 o clock flight with ryan air.

We are going to Venice a day ahead of our cruise on the Osterdam in September. What is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel at the Rialto Bridge?[/quote

Hi,

I was very interested in your thread as my daughter and myself are also stopping at the Rialto for 2 nights prior 4th September cruise on the Oosterdam. My name is Barbara Anderson, would you like to meet up with us and get aquainted, I am from New Zealand and my daughter lives in Canada, we have booked a guided tour of Venice backstreets on the 3rd at 1.30, would you be interested in joining us and sharing costs?

How early can be schedule a return flight from VCE at the end of our cruise? Delta has an 11:30 am flight. I also worry that Delta would change the time, I think they can change it as much as 3 hours, which would be impossible.

I wouldn't book an 11:30 flight, especially in Venice. It isn't so easy to get from point A to point B carting luggage. When we disembarked in Venice we weren't in hurry because we stayed 3 extra days. However, it was pouring rain and very difficult. You had to get a voucher just to reserve a water taxi and then go to the water taxi line and wait. It took forever. This was 2001 and maybe things have changed but I still wouldn't chance it. Italians take their time about things and you never know about the weather or unforeseen circumstances.

Enjoy your crusie!

Thanks for the help. I think we will stay one night in Venice post cruise.We are also staying one night pre-cruise. We are thinking of the Marriott near the airport for either one or both. Which would make sense? (We have points for one night). Would the Best Western be a good one for the other night?

>>We are thinking of the Marriott near the airport for either one or both.<<

The Piazzale Roma (where airport buses and taxis arrive at the edge of Venice's historic center) is only about 20 minutes from the airport, and inexpensive ATVO airport buses run frequently from early in the morning until late at night. Just search Google for "piazzale roma hotels" or something similar, or look at a booking site's interactive map for hotels near the Piazzale Roma. There are a number of hotels in the area, ranging from small independent hotels to a Sofitel and a Best Western affiliate or two. You'll be much happier than you'd be if you stayed near the airport, and you won't have to rely on a hotel's shuttle schedule.

we chose and stayed in this area for the availability of transport. we stayed at the locanda martinella, a short walk from the bus area. very reasonable, newly decorated and simple breakfast included. walkable from the vaporetto, bus which is very cheap to the airport and easy to do.

Take the regular city bus from outside the airport and get off at the Vapaetto dock, then take it for very little money and it is very easy. Walking in Venice is what it is all about. You can actually walk from the the boat dock to the ship if necessary but there will be buses.

Thanks ... Come Sept '09 we will stay in a small pensione near the fish market / Rialto Bridge area. My wife has thought the bus is the best, easiest, least expensive way to go from the airport. Land 11ish am at the airport, stay one night in the pensione, then boarding Oosterdam the next day. Please give us some more of your thoughts on the bus, etc.

This is our first time visiting Italy. We are arriving on Sept 29 and have no plans at this point for the five days before we board. Any help on ideas about renting a car and driving to, say Austria, or into Tuscany would be appreciated. Also, hotel recommendations and thoughts. Can't wait to meet and make new friends on the Oosterdam !! Dale & Jeanie ;)

Thanks for the help. I think we will stay one night in Venice post cruise.We are also staying one night pre-cruise. We are thinking of the Marriott near the airport for either one or both. Which would make sense? (We have points for one night). Would the Best Western be a good one for the other night?

Sunshine Nana--Personally I would stay at least one night in Venice proper because it really adds to your experience of what Venice really is about. I would spend your arrival night in Venice itself and suggest you stay near the train station, in the Cannaregio area, so you are closer to the ship. I've never stayed in this area, just suggest it for convenience with the added perk of really being in Venice. Then for your post cruise night stay at the Marriott where you have points. That way you are close to the airport.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for your help. Sounds like a great idea!

Sunshine Nana,

I hope you enjoy your cruise. Venice is a special place and needs to be enjoyed slowly. Take your time while there. Feel free to ask me any other questions. I may not be an expert but have been to Venice many times and have cruised once into Venice.

Archived