New Orleans advice

diverdon48371

We are cruising on the Dream February 19, 2017 arriving in N.O. on the 18th. I have reservations at the Laquinta on Camp street. for the night of the 18th. I have a couple of questions:

1) Besides taking a taxi, is there any public transportation we can take from the airport to the hotel?

2) We were thinking maybe taking the trolley to go from the hotel to the cruise port, is this realistic?

3) When we get back on the 26th, our flight does not leave until 5:30. Our plan is to use the luggage service at the port that takes your bags to the airport and spend some time walking around town. Since we will not have our bags, is there an in-expensive way to get back to the airport? and where would we pick it up?

Thank you in advance for your help

Don

We are cruising on the Dream February 19, 2017 arriving in N.O. on the 18th. I have reservations at the Laquinta on Camp street. for the night of the 18th. I have a couple of questions:

1) Besides taking a taxi, is there any public transportation we can take from the airport to the hotel?

2) We were thinking maybe taking the trolley to go from the hotel to the cruise port, is this realistic?

3) When we get back on the 26th, our flight does not leave until 5:30. Our plan is to use the luggage service at the port that takes your bags to the airport and spend some time walking around town. Since we will not have our bags, is there an in-expensive way to get back to the airport? and where would we pick it up?

Thank you in advance for your help

Don

1. There are shuttles (stop at multiple hotels), and a public bus. The shuttle can b just as expensive and slow. The bus is cheap, but runs less frequently and is slow. Taxis are $36 for 1 or 2 people. Three or more is $15/pp.

2. The streetcar doesn't go all the way to Carnival's area. Taxis from FQ and downtown hotels to the pier are $8/pp.

3. I have never used the baggage service, but that sounds cool. Remember that the ship is departing around the time that you will need to collect your bags. The area in front of the terminal is one way, so when you return to the port, you will need to go through traffic and then depart again for the airport. Taxi fares are the same to return to the airport. $36 for 1 or 2 people, $15/pp for three or more.

Dctravel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don, there will be Mardi Gras parades the days you are there. The city will be especially packed on the Sunday you return. If you love plowing through crowds you might enjoy some of the festivities. I have been to NOLA too many times to count, and I do love it, but have no desire to go during Mardi Gras.

Having breakfast one morning at the New Orleans Marriott, we asked our waitress her view of Mardi Gras. She smiled and said when she first moved there she thought it might be fun, but it turned out she was wrong. She said something about leaving work, only to find a bunch of drunken fools jumping all over her car.

From what I know, the entire weekend leading up to Mardi Gras is really crowded.

Edited by vince_g

Thank you Vince for the information. I actually booked the Laquinta on Camp street for February 18th(using points). Our flight leaves New Orleans at 5:30, so our thought was to walk around town for a couple of hours before heading to the airport. Getting to the hotel should not be a issue, I was not sure the best way to get back to the airport. If we do not have our luggage and are not in a hurry I was thinking about taking the bus.

• 3 months later...

We are a group of 18 people that will be on the same cruise with you. We are staying pre-cruise at the Drury and then again post Cruise. I've been concerned about how to get to the cruise terminal since our hotel is right next to the parade route on the other side. I'm hoping taxis won't cost a fortune since they will have to go all the way around I'm assuming. Any advice how to get to and from the hotel to the cruise port including after the cruise is over where we are staying the last 3 days of Mardi Gras.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
We are a group of 18 people that will be on the same cruise with you. We are staying pre-cruise at the Drury and then again post Cruise. I've been concerned about how to get to the cruise terminal since our hotel is right next to the parade route on the other side. I'm hoping taxis won't cost a fortune since they will have to go all the way around I'm assuming. Any advice how to get to and from the hotel to the cruise port including after the cruise is over where we are staying the last 3 days of Mardi Gras.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

On the 19th and the 26th the uptown parades will start about 11:00a. It will be a few hours before they get to Poydras St. so you should be okay getting to/from port just call early for a taxi/uber. Once you get to your hotel post cruise, be prepared to walk everywhere, it's just easier to get around and streetcars are on very restricted schedules plus they stop service two hours before and two hours after parades. When they are running they are extremely crowded.

This link may help with your planning http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/news/news/getting-around-new-orleans-during

Edited by Ckrewz

Having breakfast one morning at the New Orleans Marriott, we asked our waitress her view of Mardi Gras. She smiled and said when she first moved there she thought it might be fun, but it turned out she was wrong. She said something about leaving work, only to find a bunch of drunken fools jumping all over her car.

It is a shame that you let one person taint an entire festivity. Mardi Gras is a beautiful and vibrant festival rich in history. Your waitress probably only ever saw what went on in and around the French Quarter. If you travel just a bit up St. Charles you will see a completely different side of Mardi Gras.

My flight does not leave until almost 6 on Sunday feb 26th. How much time do you think we should leave to get to the airport from the french Qarter? It sounds like taking a cab might be the best method, any idea of where we would catch one? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

In s previous post it was said that you can not bring luggage on the street car/trolley. I checked the exploreneworleans.info website and this is what it said.

"Can I use the Riverfront streetcar to get to the Cruise Ship Terminals?

Yes, the Riverfront streetcar does take cruise ship passengers and their luggage to the port terminals. Just remember to allow plenty enough time, the cruise ships wait for no one."

Does anyone know for sure?

Thank You

Don