AMA partners with Disney for Family River Cruises

caviargal

Just wondering how AMA plans to add beds to the cabins to accommodate a child. Booking a second cabin could get expensive unless special fare arrangemets are offered. Maybe they will add an upper bunk that folds up during the day.

I agree that the ports visited on this itinerary appeal more to adults but perhaps Disney plans to arrange tours that are more child oriented?

Will be interesting to see pricing and interest level.

Just wondering how AMA plans to add beds to the cabins to accommodate a child. Booking a second cabin could get expensive unless special fare arrangemets are offered. Maybe they will add an upper bunk that folds up during the day.

I agree that the ports visited on this itinerary appeal more to adults but perhaps Disney plans to arrange tours that are more child oriented?

Will be interesting to see pricing and interest level.

The article OP linked to says this is a new ship (AMAviola) with a modified design that includes some cabins with a pull-out chair to make a third bed, and connecting cabins that will link those cabins to a regular cabin (= sleeps 5), plus several suites that sleep 4. Disney will only be marketing 5 cruises over the first year, so the ship should also be available to regular AMA (and maybe APT) customers.

The USA Today article stated that tips and transfers were included. Is that the case on all AMA RC's? It seems like it is more like Tauck, which already has a very fine family program. If I was going to go for it, I would go with Tauck.

Having never been on a river cruise ( very shortly will have that rectified:D:D:D:D:), I can't imagine gathering post dinner in the lounge for a drink and soft music...... with a group of kids:eek:

But it being only for month of July, and one sailing in Dec, I suppose others wanting the adult only theme will just not book during that time. Can hardly wait to hear the reviews.

The USA Today article stated that tips and transfers were included. Is that the case on all AMA RC's? It seems like it is more like Tauck, which already has a very fine family program. If I was going to go for it, I would go with Tauck.

AMA does not include tips in the fare nor do they include transfers unless you also purchase airfare thru' them or you pay extra for a transfer.

Having never been on a river cruise ( very shortly will have that rectified:D:D:D:D:), I can't imagine gathering post dinner in the lounge for a drink and soft music...... with a group of kids:eek:

But it being only for month of July, and one sailing in Dec, I suppose others wanting the adult only theme will just not book during that time. Can hardly wait to hear the reviews.

We have been on only one river cruise and that was with AMA. Based on that experience I can't picture children as part of the mix. There was a young girl probably 11 or 12, on our cruise. I never saw her or her family on any of the tours. I wonder if the Disney organization will revamp the usual onboard vibe so that it is more family oriented. This particular itinerary is served by more than one AMA ship so those who would rather not cruise with children will book another ship, another month or another line. Yes, reviews as well as itinerary description/activities will be interesting.

I am also interested to see what such an itinerary will look like. This sort of cruise could work for well-traveled kids from age 10 upwards I think. A very active boy of six I cannot see enjoying that sort of holiday, and not for his parents either. ;)

To set the record straight I would to pint out an error in the contence in the article:

connecting cabins are not unique to this new ship or the river cruise world. The ship I travelled with, the Belvedere has them and Arosa also offers them at least on the Arosa Brava, but possibly on other ships as well. Arosa also offers family-themed river cruises, possibly only to the German-speaking market.

notamermaid

Great weather in the Rhine valley, set to be the hottest day of this year so far. T-shirts and ice-cream cones all around me!

I can't imagine gathering post dinner in the lounge for a drink and soft music...... with a group of kids

We are seriously looking at booking one of these. We have a 9 yo ds who, while a good traveler, is not the soft music and drink sort.

From what I've read, most ports will have very late departure times, so there is time after dinner to go back into town and roam. There is a small pool on board, as well as a small movie theater. The cruise is run by Adventures By Disney (not DCL), which usually has several separate kids' activities planned so the adults can do their own thing if they wish, as well.

So I wouldn't consider this an average River Cruise, but more a Disney quality managed tour that occurs on a river cruise.

ABD is pricy, which is why we've never actually pulled the trigger on a trip, but I've heard nothing but glowing reports from anyone I've ever talked to about their trips, both IRL and online. We have good friends that go every year. Beyond the price, I've always been hesitant to sign up for a trip that never spends more than 2 consecutive days in any one hotel. That's a lot of packing/unpacking/checking for forgotten items with 4 kids. The idea of the ABD experience while taking my hotel with me is very appealing.

Wow, this is a great idea!! My husband and I will be going on our first cruise this summer and I can't wait. We are also hoping to start a family in the next year (which is a big reason we chise to do this now!) so my worry was getting hooked on river cruising but not being able to go back again for a couple of decades.

• 2 weeks later...

The Adventures by Disney rep was just in my office and he brought me a brouchure for these sailings. These 5 sailings are geared to families with children 8 and over (4 is the minimum age) and the shore excursions reflect that . There is a falconry show, visit to Sound of Music sights, archery and medieval activites during a visit to Devin castle, horse show, studel making, etc. This will be just like an Adventures by Disney land package. Disney will be running the program and staffing the ship. The only thing AMA is the ship.

We are booked for this cruise. I've been lurking on their site since booking and several stateroom categories are now wait listed and the prices have gone up considerably since they opened 10 days ago.

I think someone at Disney is doing a happy dance.

Thought I'd weigh in since my family has done ABD trips in the past, AND we've recently taken an AMA River cruise.

ABDs run on small ships are run as a tour within the cruise, for example, on our Galapagos ABD, we sailed on the Galapagos Explorer along with other guests (some in tour groups, some as independents) but we had our own Adventure guides in addition to the local guides provided by the ships excursions. We traveled as a group for all parts of the trip, pre, post etc.

While there were standard excursions and activities for other ship guests the ABD guests had a set of separate events and activities, many of them geared to children and families. For instance, to encourage bargaining at the market, the Adventure guides provided a dollar to each person with the challenge to buy something and they held a white elephant auction (like a Yankee swap) where everyone wrapped the item they bought and we all drew numbers and selected a "wrapped" gift (the wrappings were quite inventive given that no one had exactly packed a roll of wrap!

In ports, there will likely be special family/kid oriented activites. For instance, at the "middle of the world" monument in Ecuador, the adults had a guide go over the technical aspects of the equator and the kids had a more active experience with children's educator running the activity. More hands on things are offered like cooking or art with a local artisan.

On our cruise, dining hours were set earlier for the ABD group, so that the kids didn't have to wait till late, and we were out of the dining room before the other adult guests (some had kids) arrived.

I'm not sure of this will be the case with AMA, but on our ABD on a scheduled cruise, we were given priority selection of snorkel gear, priority disembarking at islands etc. Our group was a pretty well behaved bunch, but they are kids, and with all the "priority" treatment, I did feel the occasional resentment of the "regular" passengers. So it will be interesting to see how the AMA ABD runs. Chartered ships? Or among others?

ABDs are very high touch, with a high level of service. That was our experience on AMA also, I'd say they are a good match! We are not very likely to do an ABD again, as all our kids are grown, and we would do a river cruise adults only and although they do have adults only ABDs, we don't feel the need for that extra level of attention to take one. They can be very expensive, but there are many advantages, and for busy families or families with Disney time shares, they are made more affordable by using points from the time shares.

We are seriously looking at booking one of these. We have a 9 yo ds who, while a good traveler, is not the soft music and drink sort.

From what I've read, most ports will have very late departure times, so there is time after dinner to go back into town and roam. There is a small pool on board, as well as a small movie theater. The cruise is run by Adventures By Disney (not DCL), which usually has several separate kids' activities planned so the adults can do their own thing if they wish, as well.

So I wouldn't consider this an average River Cruise, but more a Disney quality managed tour that occurs on a river cruise.

ABD is pricy, which is why we've never actually pulled the trigger on a trip, but I've heard nothing but glowing reports from anyone I've ever talked to about their trips, both IRL and online. We have good friends that go every year. Beyond the price, I've always been hesitant to sign up for a trip that never spends more than 2 consecutive days in any one hotel. That's a lot of packing/unpacking/checking for forgotten items with 4 kids. The idea of the ABD experience while taking my hotel with me is very appealing.

Your packing issue is a real one!! My first ABD WAS exhausting, because every couple of days I had to pack myself, but also wrangle all the kids belongings and get them out by the door by x hour. I think these River cruises will have a HUGE advantage for young families because mom and dad won't have to keep everyone's bags in order. On our last several land trips, our kids were older and more capable and it wasn't so much work, but the schedule of one to 2 nights in a place was a bit punishing for my 70 yo parents, a river cruise would have been a much more manageable trip for them! ABDs are often run as multigenerational trips (all the ones we have done have had at least 1/3- 1/2 the families with 3 generations)

I posted a whole essay about why ABDs are worth the money on a message board for Adventures by Disney. For certain families, they are well worth it, and I know many families who love them!

Edited by Familygoboston

ABDs run on small ships are run as a tour within the cruise

Thanks for your detailed description. That Galapagos tour looks amazing. I think though, for the river cruise, that the entire ship is ABD. Most ABD's are small (<40) groups. From the number of guides on board, it sounds like there will be 4 small groups, essentially, for excursions, who meet back up for meals and evening activities. A departure from their usual mode of operation, but that is why the "big reveal" before their other 2016 itineraries. The ship is being built for Disney, with reconfigured cabins including connecting rooms - according to the press release.

So I think you take your experience and expand it to all the passengers.

And as the grandparents are going also, your comment about being able to stay in one "hotel" makes me even happier we booked the cruise.

Thanks for your detailed description. That Galapagos tour looks amazing. I think though, for the river cruise, that the entire ship is ABD. Most ABD's are small (<40) groups. From the number of guides on board, it sounds like there will be 4 small groups, essentially, for excursions, who meet back up for meals and evening activities. A departure from their usual mode of operation, but that is why the "big reveal" before their other 2016 itineraries. The ship is being built for Disney, with reconfigured cabins including connecting rooms - according to the press release.

And as the grandparents are going also, your comment about being able to stay in one "hotel" makes me even happier we booked the cruise.

I haven't heard one way or the other if it's a whole ship charter, but that makes the most sense! And I know their Galapagos tour has since gone in that direction with a much smaller expedition vessel that is only ABD guests. I think you will have an amazing trip! I just saw a fB posting today from them with a bike trip to a huge elevated wooden walkway (I imagine kids would love this!) overlooking the view!

Please be sure to report back, I am very interested in how this partnership turns out...based on my experience with both companies I expect it will work very well! :D

Having never been on a river cruise ( very shortly will have that rectified, I can't imagine gathering post dinner in the lounge for a drink and soft music...... with a group of kids

You have to specifically book with Adventures by Disney to get on these sailings. If you don't want kids on your ship, you shouldn't book through ABD! :)

I haven't heard one way or the other if it's a whole ship charter, but that makes the most sense! And I know their Galapagos tour has since gone in that direction with a much smaller expedition vessel that is only ABD guests. I think you will have an amazing trip! I just saw a fB posting today from them with a bike trip to a huge elevated wooden walkway (I imagine kids would love this!) overlooking the view!

Please be sure to report back, I am very interested in how this partnership turns out...based on my experience with both companies I expect it will work very well! :D

The ABD Danube River cruises *will* be all ABD passengers. No sharing the boat with non-ABDers like the Galapagos trip. There will be 8 Adventure Guides on each trip for around 160 passengers, so I do expect they will split up the group depending on who signs up for which excursions, and divvy the folks up that way. (One of the great things I was told was that you don't have to choose which excursion you want to do until the day before - they have things set up so that there's room for everyone on each excursion. No "selling out"!)

I've signed up for this amazing trip, and I can hardly wait. I think it will combine the best of cruising (only unpack/pack once, travel at night) with the best of the land-based ABDs (in-depth, culturally based excursions, being in port late to see a place lit up at night, etc).

Sayhello

Edited by sayhello

You have to specifically book with Adventures by Disney to get on these sailings. If you don't want kids on your ship, you shouldn't book through ABD! :)

The ABD Danube River cruises *will* be all ABD passengers. No sharing the boat with non-ABDers like the Galapagos trip. There will be 8 Adventure Guides on each trip for around 160 passengers, so I do expect they will split up the group depending on who signs up for which excursions, and divvy the folks up that way. (One of the great things I was told was that you don't have to choose which excursion you want to do until the day before - they have things set up so that there's room for everyone on each excursion. No "selling out"!)

I've signed up for this amazing trip, and I can hardly wait. I think it will combine the best of cruising (only unpack/pack once, travel at night) with the best of the land-based ABDs (in-depth, culturally based excursions, being in port late to see a place lit up at night, etc).

Sayhello

You know of what you speak for sure! (say hello is moderator for an ABD board:D !) im so glad you are taking this trip! I think it will be awesome! I have some info on Budapest for you if you need!ill look for your review!

• 3 months later...

For more information about the design of the new AMA ships that will be used on the Disney cruises (but will also sail many non-Disney itineraries), see this Cruise Critic article:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2015/08/07/just-back-from-amawaterways-amaserena-hits-misses/?isalt=0&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CC%2FTheLidoDeck+%28The+Lido+Deck+-+Cruise+Critic+Blog%29

Note that the "connecting cabins" are way more than a communicating door (like I've seen on ocean ships). The description is "With the touch of a button, two cabins convert into one larger one, as adjoining walls recede like pocket doors." That sounds like a perfect answer to the question that keeps coming up about cabins rated for 3 or 4 people.