Vegan river cruise?

DirkHK

• 5 months later...

So ... How well do the river cruise companies cater for vegetarians? Just standard vegetarians. No meat or fish, but eating eggs, milk and cheese?

my husband and I have just started looking at river cruises from Amsterdam to Budapest for 2016. But my husband has been vegetarian for almost 40 years, so we need to be sure that they will actually produce real meals.

Avalon on my cruise in September had menus that labeled those choices. But due to kitchen restrictions (tiny tiny) there is only so much they can do. I think they try but no way could they Cater to you. You can discuss your Dietary needs with the chef and dining room mgr. I would say you would have a choice every evening and the buffet is easy to choose.

Edited by JVilleGal

Because the majority of the passengers are folks of a certain age there were lots of food issues. From Diabetic, low salt, gluten free, nut allergies. I think you name it and best efforts are made to deal with it.

Many times I saw people with real allergy issues consulting with both chef and Dining Mgr about what change had been made for a particular passenger. They really want to please. All that aside if you have life threatening issues I would speak up both before booking, prior to boarding and then with the ship immediately upon boarding.

Because the majority of the passengers are folks of a certain age there were lots of food issues. From Diabetic, low salt, gluten free, nut allergies. I think you name it and best efforts are made to deal with it.

Many times I saw people with real allergy issues consulting with both chef and Dining Mgr about what change had been made for a particular passenger. They really want to please. All that aside if you have life threatening issues I would speak up both before booking, prior to boarding and then with the ship immediately upon boarding.

Yep! I did one GCT cruise on a very restricted diet. I met with the chef as soon as I boarded and worked out my first dinner. At each dinner, he handed me his proposed menu for me for the next day. They were all quite satisfactory. All the waitstaff knew what meal was mine regardless of where I sat.

On another cruise a fellow passenger had dietary requirements and the GCT handled it the same way. Given the relatively small number of meals, I have to think any line could meet this type of need.

So ... How well do the river cruise companies cater for vegetarians? Just standard vegetarians. No meat or fish, but eating eggs, milk and cheese?

my husband and I have just started looking at river cruises from Amsterdam to Budapest for 2016. But my husband has been vegetarian for almost 40 years, so we need to be sure that they will actually produce real meals.

I eat plant based as well and he should have no trouble at all. We use Vantage and they always have a vegetable (or vegetarian) option for lunch and dinner...I don't like to eat meat (I will if I must) or fish (I'd rather starve) and I've found that by choosing between the vegetarian and standard menu for appetizer, soup, salad and entree, I can keep to plant based foods as strictly as I choose to. Vantage also has one of the best vegetarian cooks on the planet, IMHO. B-fast and lunch are both usually buffet so they'll be no problem either.