Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

Will be on the 5/15 voyage, and am planning a private wine tour w/ driver after we disembark this cruise. The driver wants to know what Chateaux we'll be visiting on the Viking program, so I'm trying to find out the specifics of which Chateaux are visited on this Viking Forseti Chateaux, Rivers & Wine itinerary. If anyone has just completed the cruise in early 2015 and has any info, it would be greatly appreciated!

. If anyone has just completed the cruise in early 2015 and has any info, it would be greatly appreciated!

just about to go out, more to follow

Yes, we did

Chateau d’Arche Sauternes Grand Cru Classe, very informative visit and tasting

A drive through the appellations of Haut Medoc and photo-opportunity at some of the world famous Chateaux, brief stop at the small wine village shops at Ch Lynch Bages, Pauillac. The four coaches then each go to a different ‘Classed Growth’ winery for a tour and tutored tasting. The coach I was on went to Ch Giscours –3rd Growth Margaux - and tasted three wines of their wines including 1971 Ch Giscours. Other coaches visited Ch Lynch Bages (5th Growth)and Ch Tertre and one I have forgotten.

Ch Kirwan –3rd Growth Margaux – included dinner served with three Kirwan wines, one white, then the second label ‘Charmes des Kirwan’ made from younger vines and then the Grand Vin. Owner Nathalie Schÿler greets us and introduces each wine. Food is cooked and served by Viking team.

Optional wine trip to Chateau Siaurac, where we are greeted by owner Paul Goldschmidt who is an amusing host who walks us through his vineyards and gardens and in his living rooms in the chateau. We have a tasting of several wines and then have a decent lunch with more wines. However, this optional tour cost €87 a head and I think it was well-overpriced. Yes we had lunch, but we’d already paid for lunch and wine on board. Assuming that wine enthusiasts would be the ones booking this trip, I thought it didn’t offer enough, there wasn’t enough detailed info (although Paul was delightfully indiscrete on occasions).

Our bus stopped at Chateau Tertre, a 4th growth vineyard. I thought the tour was very enjoyable. The young girl, Daphne, was very passionate, informative, and humorous. We tasted 3 wines at different price levels. Dinner soon after at Chateau Kirwan. This was probably the most enjoyable day of the cruise. The day at Chateau d'Arche was a close second. I wish Viking had done more wine tastings like these for those of us who are really into great wine. Overall, though, a great time with great food.

There are also wine tastings on board, including a serving of cheeses and Sauternes on return from dinner at Ch Kirwan.but that was all the wineries we visited.

The Programme Director will tell you which four wineries will be visited in the Medoc before all have lunch at Ch Kirwan and if you have a particular favourite you could put ina request for it: they're supposed to be random.

Alos, if you ask, you will get a list of all the local wines they'll be serving with meals each day - all decent basic ones from different appellations visited - and if you like one in particular you cab ask for that on days they're serving other wines.

The tour itinery says the conierge can arrange private visits to premium wineries on the last free afternoon in Bordeaux, but in practice they phone the tourist office who book places on a 10 seater minibus to visit several wineries, non classed growth, and it's pricey.

You'd be better off making such arrangements at the tourist office, few minutes walk from ship moorings, on your first day.

Also, as it seems you are into wine, the Silver Package (pay in advance for spirits etc) excludes the top wines from the on board limited wine list which cost in the region of €86 a bottle, about the same as Bordeaux restuarant. If you'd rather drink premium wines suggest you buy them on first afternoon from wine shops that cluster around the the Tourist Office andConseil des Vins du Médoc1 Cours du 30 Juillet, - latter also has free maps and information and many wines to taste singly or by flight. The wineshops around have a great selection inclusing mature wines. (turn left from the boat, 10-minutes walk)

Alos, if you're into wine you may know this so apologies - most of the classed growth and other famous wineries don't accept visitors, don't offer tastings and do not have any wines to sell (because they sell all their production while in barrel via the en primeur system. Others that do accept visitors require appointments made in advance.

So which wineries are available to you to visit privately will depend on whether your driver takes you just to the ones open to the public or if they have an entree into top wineries.

I did a private tour a few years ago with a driver with contacts in the business and a highlight was a visit to Mouton Rothschild with a private tasting from the barrel of the faboulous 2010 vintage.

Also, on first afternoon moored in Bordeaux there is a farmers market on the waterfront from the boat towards the Stone Birdge (pont du Pierre) which there are some wineries represented where you can taste and talk to the owners/winemakers. I bought from a couple of them and particularly liked Ch Grand Brun, a cru artisan Haut-Medoc appellation. Nice people, speak English.

let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

Dinner soon after at Chateau Kirwan. This was probably the most enjoyable day of the cruise. The day at Chateau d'Arche was a close second. I wish Viking had done more wine tastings like these for those of us who are really into great wine. .

I agree 100% with you.

I was surprised how few people had much interest in wine and amazed at the number of people drinking coca cola (urghhh) at meals instead of wine.

The onboard sommelier added little.

If you're not interested in wine this is not really the river cruise for you as the scenery from the boat is the least interestin of any I've been on.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

We're getting excited for our July 18th Bordeaux cruise. For those of you who have been on this cruise, is it possible in Saint-Emilion to fit in the included walking tour AND the optional Chateau Siaurac visit? Same with Blaye, can we do both the Blaye Walking Tour and the optional Taste of Cognac. Or, do they overlap and one has to choose one or the other.

Thanks.

Hi all,

We're getting excited for our July 18th Bordeaux cruise. For those of you who have been on this cruise, is it possible in Saint-Emilion to fit in the included walking tour AND the optional Chateau Siaurac visit? Same with Blaye, can we do both the Blaye Walking Tour and the optional Taste of Cognac. Or, do they overlap and one has to choose one or the other.

Thanks.

we did this cruise last year. you're in for a treat!! I remember someone complaining that they did the optional tour, but then didn't have enough time for visiting St Emilion. don't know about the Cognac one. Enjoy!!

My wife did the Chateau tour while we did the Truffles tour. Both tours ended in St Emilion with some time to tour. I think the Cognac tour takes all day and they don't get to see Blaye at all. For us, we are not Cognac fans (also very expensive excursion) that the Blaye trip was a better choice.

Hi all,

is it possible in Saint-Emilion to fit in the included walking tour AND the optional Chateau Siaurac visit? Same with Blaye, can we do both the Blaye Walking Tour and the optional Taste of Cognac. Or, do they overlap and one has to choose one or the other.

The Ch Siaurac tour includes the walking tour of St Emilion , so you do both. You go to St Emilion after you have lunch at Siaurac

You can do both the Blaye walking tour, which is in the morning and the optional Cognac tour which starts after lunch.

I did the Siaurac tour (see my comments above) but I didn't do the Cognac tour as I'd been to Cognac before and we don't drink brandy anymore but those who did go on it thought highly of it and they were thrilled with making their own blend of Cognac and then bottling it and taking it home.

Note there is a wine shop (run by the producers) in Blaye facing the castle which you visit that sells bottles of every wine from the Blay appellation.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading all these posts! I don't know if you still check in on this thread, but I want to thank you all for the information. I am looking forward to this trip & your tips will be very helpful. It will be my 7th RC, 4th with Viking and I have had good experiences on all of them. I must admit, I was a bit jealous of the person with the wonderful upgrade - On the previous cruises I have introduced a total of over 30 people to Viking & I love those credits, but an upgrade would be lovely! At least when we brought 10 people on AMA we were invited to sit with the captain one evening, plus received the credits. Love those perks.!

We will have a great time even our little Cat E cabin!

Thanks again

I just finished reading all these posts! I don't know if you still check in on this thread, but I want to thank you all for the information. I am looking forward to this trip & your tips will be very helpful. It will be my 7th RC, 4th with Viking and I have had good experiences on all of them. I must admit, I was a bit jealous of the person with the wonderful upgrade - On the previous cruises I have introduced a total of over 30 people to Viking & I love those credits, but an upgrade would be lovely! At least when we brought 10 people on AMA we were invited to sit with the captain one evening, plus received the credits. Love those perks.!

We will have a great time even our little Cat E cabin!

Thanks again

This cruise was our first and it couldn't have gone better. I know you will have a wonderful time as we did. Often, my thoughts drift back to our trip and a memory will float up. France is a beautiful country and I hope to get visit again.

We've booked viking's Danube Waltz for October and our biggest worry is that it won't live up to our Chateaux and wine experience.

• 2 months later...

For those of you who have been on this cruise in the past - does anyone recall what time the ship arrived in Pauillac on the morning of Day 6? Trying to determine if it arrives early or late morning as I have a reservation to visit one of the wineries. TIA.

I saved my Viking Itinerary sheet for that day. We left Bourg at 830 and arrived in Pauillac at noon. I believe because of the tide table that the arrival time varies each week. This was also the most enjoyable day of the trip. Our dinner at Chateau Kirwan was fantastic as was our visit to Chateau Tertre, a 4th growth vineyard(others went elsewhere). You wont want to miss either of these opportunities. Maybe it would be possible to schedule your reservation for Friday when excursions are scheduled for the Bordeaux Market and Arcahon. The ship left Pauillac at 900 and arrived in Bordeaux at noon. You could probably get transportation arranged for the transfer.

This cruise was our first and it couldn't have gone better. I know you will have a wonderful time as we did. Often, my thoughts drift back to our trip and a memory will float up. France is a beautiful country and I hope to get visit again.

We've booked viking's Danube Waltz for October and our biggest worry is that it won't live up to our Chateaux and wine experience.

We recently returned from our 14-day Grand European on the Eistler, following our Chateaux and Wine trip in July 2014.

We thought the same thing, Maliboo, and to some extent we were correct. On the Chateaux trip, the fellow passengers have more of a shared interest than you will find on some of the other cruises. Basically, they like and appreciate wine. However, the Grand trip soon resembled the house party atmosphere of the Chateaux and we found kindred fellow cruisers easily. It is different, indeed, but it was not any lesser of an experience or great cruise. Have a great trip!

does anyone recall what time the ship arrived in Pauillac on the morning of Day 6?

On my trip in March 2015 we left Bourg at 07:30 and arrived in Pauillac at 14:00 (2pm) with the unmissable tour that ends with dinner at Ch Kirwan departing at 14:30, thirty minutes after arrival.

I agree with beanpittsburgh that the schedule may vary according to tides, and agree again togeither with giraffe123 that this afternoon tour visiting two classed growth chateaux with dinner and plenty of Kirwan wine is a highlight.

The last day in Bordeaux is free and you could do your private visit then.

BTW, which chateau are you planning on visiting?

On my trip in March 2015 we left Bourg at 07:30 and arrived in Pauillac at 14:00 (2pm) with the unmissable tour that ends with dinner at Ch Kirwan departing at 14:30, thirty minutes after arrival.

I agree with beanpittsburgh that the schedule may vary according to tides, and agree again togeither with giraffe123 that this afternoon tour visiting two classed growth chateaux with dinner and plenty of Kirwan wine is a highlight.

The last day in Bordeaux is free and you could do your private visit then.

BTW, which chateau are you planning on visiting?

We have a visit scheduled for Mouton-Rothschild.

We have a visit scheduled for Mouton-Rothschild.

Aha!

We visited Mouton in 2011. It was brilliant, with a tasting in a private room.

They'd drawn off a half-bottle (with its own special label) from the barrel of the wonderful 2010 vintage and the three of us drank it all (seemed rude to spit :)

You driver could take you after the tasting direct to Kirwan for the dinner if you want..

I saved my Viking Itinerary sheet for that day. We left Bourg at 830 and arrived in Pauillac at noon. I believe because of the tide table that the arrival time varies each week. This was also the most enjoyable day of the trip. Our dinner at Chateau Kirwan was fantastic as was our visit to Chateau Tertre, a 4th growth vineyard(others went elsewhere). You wont want to miss either of these opportunities. Maybe it would be possible to schedule your reservation for Friday when excursions are scheduled for the Bordeaux Market and Arcahon. The ship left Pauillac at 900 and arrived in Bordeaux at noon. You could probably get transportation arranged for the transfer.

Bean - any chance you'd be will to share the itinerary sheet from your cruise. Let me know.

I saved all the Itinerary sheets for each day. The exact times for you would be different. Which days would like the itinerary? Just the day in Pauillac?

All of them if you don't mind. If you can scan, that would be ideal. I haven't checked, but is there a PM facility on CC? I'll check while I wait to hear from you.

• 3 weeks later...
All of them if you don't mind. If you can scan, that would be ideal. I haven't checked, but is there a PM facility on CC? I'll check while I wait to hear from you.

I will be on the 10/31 sailing and would also love to read the itinerary sheets if possible. I don't know the easiest way to do this, but can provide my email if that is easiest.

Thank you,

Bette