Vegan river cruise?

DirkHK

I yesterday read an article on vegan travel in which they mention vegan river cruises in Europe.

One of the companies they cooperate with is Tauck, at least one of their new ships (Inspire) is used for a vegan cruise next year.

I m always up for new things and would probably give it a try if I could convince the wifey. Don't really need meat - but would miss proper cheese I guess. :p

A river cruise without any products made from animals? What is your opinion on this?

I m always up for new things and would probably give it a try if I could convince the wifey. Don't really need meat - but would miss proper cheese I guess. :p

Doesn't sound like either of you are vegan, so not sure why this would be an appealing option for you?

Like other cruises targeted at those with particular focused interests or lifestyle choices, I'm sure they appeal to those they are aimed at and we see nothing wrong in offering them, but we wouldn't choose to join them as we are not part of the target market.

Edited by Mark_T

If you are not vegan why give up the fantastic European cheese?
I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that vegans do not eat anything from an animal and cheese is made from milk which of course usually comes from a cow or goat. My wife is a vegetarian and she will eat milk products etc. just no meat.

I yesterday read an article on vegan travel in which they mention vegan river cruises in Europe.

One of the companies they cooperate with is Tauck, at least one of their new ships (Inspire) is used for a vegan cruise next year.

A river cruise without any products made from animals? What is your opinion on this?

Great, except, like you, I would want cheese, especially considering how wonderful European cheeses are.

I eat very little meat as I much prefer fish and vegetables, so I could quite happily go on a vegetarian cruise, but I really wouldn't fancythe limitations of a vegan one. I don't really understand why someone who regularly enjoys meat would pay a lot of money to just eat vegan food for a week or more.

aquilegia,

I assume that nearly all of the cruisers on those charters are vegan ;)! It´s a cruise to attract vegan eating people (mainly if not 100% from Germany or German speaking countries). It´s not a cruise to attract people from aboard to go on a river cruise.

I´d give it a try just to see how vegan food tastes. They do have special vegan (Celebrity) chefs onboard. So you can taste some really good stuff.

I do not want to live without meat or cheese - anyway I can do away with it for a certain period of time. As I am German and living in Germany I wouldn´t mind to miss the European cheeses for a week (I can have them every day).

steamboats

Steamboats, I assumed that the cruise is aimed at vegans. I meant that I couldn't understand why someone like the OP, who seems to eat meat, would choose to go a whole cruise eating an unfamiliar diet (he mentions 'new things') without many of the things he enjoys. If you want to try a new way of eating, it's probably better to try it out at home when you've got plenty of other options if you find it's not to your liking.

aquilegia,

But there on the cruise I do have specialty chefs preparing the menu and I don´t have to cope with learning how to cook vegan on my own. Most people think that vegan cooking is just salad and veggies. But there is much more to it (I do have vegan friends and even a raw vegan cousin). So on such a cruise you will get vegan food of best quality and variety. You can never try it out that way at home.

steamboats

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that vegans do not eat anything from an animal and cheese is made from milk which of course usually comes from a cow or goat. My wife is a vegetarian and she will eat milk products etc. just no meat.

I'm like your wife, JC, I prefer a plant based diet (I will eat some meat if I have to but I prefer not to) and I do eat eggs, cheese and dairy, while DH is your basic carnivore. We usually travel with Vantage and I have never had a problem finding a wide variety of meatless dishes for b'fast, lunch and dinner. In fact, IMHO Vantage has one of the best vegetarian chefs on the planet!!!! The only thing I would strongly suggest is that OP tell whatever company he chooses that she is vegetarian and I am certain they will accommodate her. But really, give up all that fantastic European cheese?......I don't think so. :D

Oh, there´s soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, oat milk... and at least there is something like soy cream and soy ice cream ;):D!

steamboats

Almond milk is delicious, I agree and it's all I use....but have you actually tasted soy ice-cream??? YUCCCKKK!!! :D

• 4 months later...

I just found your cruise board while searching for a new search engine to use. We just got back from taking the Netherlands vegan river cruise and it was wonderful. The food was great. A non-vegan would get along just fine for a week. Veganrivercruises.com was the company who put it on and they were fantastic. We were the only Americans on what was basically a boat full of German vegans and had a wonderful time. The other English speaking cruisers were a couple from Ireland and a woman from Hong Kong. Many Germans spoke very good English and we had many great conversations at dinner. Judi and I had more fun than if we were with a boat full of Americans! Tours on shore were also in two languages. Tauck runs a great cruise line and the crew usually deals with English speakers. We signed up for this cruise last fall and actually found it before the website was ready. I won't bore you with the web search details I had to go through to find a vegan river cruise. It was a treasure hunt, for sure. Now it's easy to find veganrivercruises.com They have a Danube Cruise this summer. Next year they are planning one for France and we are planning to go on that one also.

No I don't work for them. Judi and I are retired from the broadcast industry in Chicago and live in Madison, WI. now.

It's hard to find vegan travel especially on a cruise. We did a Viking Cruise on the Danube with our cousins two years ago and they tried to give us vegan meals, but it was not very good. I understand. We are a minority in the cruise industry. That's fine. So it was pretty cool to find one outfit that does some yearly cruises with just a vegan menu in mind. Germany has a very strong vegan movement so I guess it makes sense for that company to spring up and are able to find enough people to make a buck at it. Plus, they did a really good job at it. I just want to see more people/companies offer this type of vacation. We travel in the US to places that have good vegan options. Boulder, Colorado. Chicago. Portland. Sedona, AZ. Lots of US cities have good options. There is a app called Happy Cow that is a data base for vegetarians and vegans and also lists places that serve meat along with vegan/veg options so everyone finds something on the menu.