Beware Viking Referral Program - and the Customer Service that goes along with it....

franski

Hi everyone -

I just wanted to post to tell you about my situation - as a warning to anyone who is planning on collecting referral credits - and putting them towards a Viking cruise.

To start - if you haven't seen any of my posts before - I am fairly well traveled in the river cruise world --> # 8 coming up. I have traveled with most of the major lines (Viking, AMA, Avalon, Uniworld & Scenic). I try to post fair reports - both as "kudos" for a job well done, as well as pointing out areas for improvement. I experienced some issues with my 1st Viking river cruise, but I felt they were quite responsive to my concerns - and therefore booked a 2nd cruise with them. We are booked for the Elbe in May of this year.

Along the way, I have collected quite a few referral credits. These have come from a variety of sources --> personal friends, through talks given at 2 local churches, through Cruise Critic, and through my TA's office. She and I talk at length after all of my cruises - and if I had a bad experience with any company, she does offer up my opinions to other clients. She also is comfortable booking trips if I have given a positive review.

We booked our Elbe cruise in November 2013. We paid our final payment in May 2014 - one year before our sailing. This week, my TA received a notice from Viking saying that we had an outstanding balance of $1400 US. When she called to ask why - as my paperwork indicates we had paid everything in full last May- she was informed that they are doing an audit of my referrals, and have decided that many were "fraudulent" and they would not honour them.

No where in the literature does it say I have to have a "personal" relationship with the people I refer. All literature just says give your name & customer number. I have provided that.

The trigger here - and they admitted it up front - was that 14 of my referrals traveled last year, and I called to ask about my "free cruise" voucher. When they started to count up my referrals, they decided that many of them must be bogus - and so the witch hunt started.

They call people - thank them for booking with Viking - and then ask who referred them, so they can ensure that a referral credit can be given. So, if they call "Mabel" who booked through my TA and got the booking credit - she would be considered a "fraudulent" booking. If "Mable" told "Edith" - who also booked through my TA, and also got the booking credit - "Edith" wouldn't get the booking credit either --> but, they didn't offer it to "Mabel" if they took it away from me.

Yes - they are taking credits away - even if they were granted months ago. Anyone who has not yet traveled is being asked for $200 US. They can't go after anyone who has already traveled - BUT, if I haven't yet used that credit (although Viking already has the money from the person I referred) then that is being taken off my bill. They are still working out how much more I owe on this cruise. If they can't get the person I referred on the phone, I am not granted the benefit of the doubt - they are considering it fraudulent and removing the credit.

We have friends that we have known almost 20 years. They received a brochure for the Viking ocean cruises - and went to "our" TA --> as I referred them to her a number of years ago. They booked a very expensive ocean cruise - and Viking has just asked for the $200 top-up.... AFTER they had paid in full almost a year out. We definitely know them - they took their 1st river cruise on our recommendation, and were aware of Viking as we talked about our experiences. Viking agreed not to push for their extra $200 - but personal reassurances from our TA about knowing this couple did not result in us getting back the referral credit from their booking.

I booked the cruise because I wanted to go on this cruise. And, it didn't hinge on referral credits. I paid in full - using the credits they said I had - and it has come as quite a shock to have them deny the credits at this late date. If they had issues with the referrals, they should have flagged them at the time the final payment was due.

To add insult to injury, our dollar has tanked - so the difference in money owing now will also be significant.

After being assured by at LEAST 3 different reservation agents that I did have the "free cruise" credit coming, I booked a trip to China this fall. The "free cruise" credit didn't cover it all -but was prepared to pay the difference, as well as the fairly high cost for DH's fare. I also booked air fare.

Needless to say, Viking has now pulled my "free cruise" voucher - and I have cancelled the cruise. It is just too cost prohibitive - with the current CDN $ conversion - to consider going this year. I am now looking at what I can do with my air fare. We are looking into doing a trip on our own...

Viking is giving us the impression that this is "our" fault... as if we really didn't refer these people. Their literature is completely misleading - as it just says to give your name and customer number. Anyone who contacted me was given my full name - and customer number. My TA also gave that. In many cases, she would contact me to ask questions on behalf of people who were thinking of booking... So, I do feel I referred them.

At the end of the day, I am still excited about doing the Elbe. This has been in the planning phase for a number of years. There aren't many options for the Elbe - so may have ended up with Viking anyway.

But, certainly don't plan on booking with them again. There are lots of options out there - and would sooner give my business to a company that is less morally corrupt. I don't ask for much --> just that you deal with me in a respectful manner, and that your business transactions are transparent. The timing of these "denials" - after payment was made using the credits almost 10 months ago - leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I am not posting here to try and pressure Viking into changing their mind. I contacted someone "higher up" in the company to see if something could be done. The e-mail response was prompt - and respectful - but she passed the the e-mail along to someone else who hasn't responded. I did tell them that I would be posting here so that others could be aware of the "referral/credit" shell game, and plan accordingly.

If anything changes - I will update.

Fran

Edited by franski

As requested by Carol From California, I have updated the sticky to reflect this new policy. Please note that several other river cruise lines apparently still offer such credits.

Does Cruise Critic plan to ask Viking about this policy change?

Fran, I am so sorry this has happened to you. I can't imagine having referral monies taken away once they were credited. Like CPT said, This is mind boggling. I hope that Viking reads this thread and reconsiders what they have done to you.

I have said many times I would never sail Viking, then over time I said "never say never" . Well I think about this time and after franski's experience I see the true colors are showing up clearer than ever in regards to the ethics of this company.

To be clear I am going to say absolutely "NEVER"!

I am so sorry that when Viking had such a cheerleader that they have delivered such a slap in the face and basically called you a liar. :(

This is an odd business decision for Viking to make. They certainly can alter their referral program any way they want but to revoke previously given credit is poor decision making at its best.

This story reminds me of the Viking horror stories during the floods a few years ago. Up until then they were in my wheelhouse of possible cruise lines I'd use but I decided to just see how they moved ahead. I'd been considering a cruise with them later this year but I think now I can make a final decision. I don't want to be treated so shoddily so Viking is out.

I think most would agree that their commitment to excellent customer service needs an overhaul. Franski, this just seems so wrong to me. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I'm sorry this has happened--I hope Viking re-thinks its actions in this case. The $1400 it may get from you won't be much compared to the bad publicity it will receive from this thread.

I understand their position about referrals from a business perspective. They are trying to get people to actively promote Viking and help drive the business.

What I cannot understand, and do not accept, is a retroactive change of policy. Viking should have announced "On this date XXX, this new policy will be in place."

I would demand a refund of any and all charges I had made. If they refuse I would call my credit card company and issue a charge back. Enough charge backs and it puts them at risk of having their CC rates change and/or CC account pulled by the bank.

Edited by Los_Pepes

Franski - On one hand, I cannot believe Viking is acting in such an unethical manner, revoking credits that it has already given to you. You seem to have been a Viking cheerleader and did in fact refer many customers to them. On the other hand, this doesn't surprise me considering many of the other horror stories that have been posted about dealing with Viking on this board. It really makes me wonder if the entire organization is functioning as a Ponzi scheme. It seems that they are making clients pay for their trips up front to finance their continued expansion, and they really don't have the money to keep the operation going. Are they really that desperate for cash that squeezing $1400 out of you is going to help them make payroll this week?

This move by Viking may do more to damage their reputation with any traveler who does any research than any positive things that all of their incessant advertising can do.

I really hope that Viking realizes the error of their ways and gives you back the credits that it appears you earned and deserve. I don't blame you for cancelling any and all upcoming cruises with them. Hopefully your travel agent can help you put together a great land tour that works with your airfare.

Please keep us posted if there are any updates.

We also had a horrible experience with Viking River Cruises last year on their Passage to Eastern Europe. We selected that trip because of the itinerary and because Uniworld starts (they have now changed) its eastern Europe Danube cruise in Istanbul (have been there many times). We lived in Bucharest and Belgrade 25 years ago so this was a "special" trip for us.

What did Viking Corporate do: (1) stated we only needed a down payment to book then immediately demanded full fare, (2) provided an airfare price through Viking Air which was $500 each more than the same flights on the airline website, (3) told us not only no, but "don't even ask," regarding switching post-cruise hotel days in Budapest to pre-cruise in Bucharest - not even interested in working with us to arrange for paid addition days in Bucharest, (4) just prior to departing for Bucharest we heard through CC that Viking was changing schedules for the cruise. Calling Viking I was told that as not the case, asked where I had heard that, and informed us they would keep us immediately informed. They became somewhat indignant when I explained the changes were on CC. They never contacted us prior to departing for the cruise. While the actual travel dates/towns for the cruise were eventually not changed, they did switch ships on us.

The physical ship itself was nice: Aegir. However, food was cold, the dining room was too noisy to hold a conversation at dinner, and the crew, while friendly, were distant and "doing their job."

Never sail Viking again, river or ocean. We have just booked China and Main Holiday Markets for 2016 on Uniworld.

Oh Fran, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. What a bummer. Yours is not the first story that I've heard about the credits. I book my cruises through a TA and have received credit from her on my referrals.

You may recall that I'm a huge Avalon fan. I have just booked my 10th river cruise with them for 2016. I'm doing the 2 France cruises this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi everyone -

I just wanted to post to tell you about my situation - as a warning to anyone who is planning on collecting referral credits - and putting them towards a Viking cruise.

To start - if you haven't seen any of my posts before - I am fairly well traveled in the river cruise world --> # 8 coming up. I have traveled with most of the major lines (Viking, AMA, Avalon, Uniworld & Scenic). I try to post fair reports - both as "kudos" for a job well done, as well as pointing out areas for improvement. I experienced some issues with my 1st Viking river cruise, but I felt they were quite responsive to my concerns - and therefore booked a 2nd cruise with them. We are booked for the Elbe in May of this year.

Along the way, I have collected quite a few referral credits. These have come from a variety of sources --> personal friends, through talks given at 2 local churches, through Cruise Critic, and through my TA's office. She and I talk at length after all of my cruises - and if I had a bad experience with any company, she does offer up my opinions to other clients. She also is comfortable booking trips if I have given a positive review.

We booked our Elbe cruise in November 2013. We paid our final payment in May 2014 - one year before our sailing. This week, my TA received a notice from Viking saying that we had an outstanding balance of $1400 US. When she called to ask why - as my paperwork indicates we had paid everything in full last May- she was informed that they are doing an audit of my referrals, and have decided that many were "fraudulent" and they would not honour them.

No where in the literature does it say I have to have a "personal" relationship with the people I refer. All literature just says give your name & customer number. I have provided that.

The trigger here - and they admitted it up front - was that 14 of my referrals traveled last year, and I called to ask about my "free cruise" voucher. When they started to count up my referrals, they decided that many of them must be bogus - and so the witch hunt started.

They call people - thank them for booking with Viking - and then ask who referred them, so they can ensure that a referral credit can be given. So, if they call "Mabel" who booked through my TA and got the booking credit - she would be considered a "fraudulent" booking. If "Mable" told "Edith" - who also booked through my TA, and also got the booking credit - "Edith" wouldn't get the booking credit either --> but, they didn't offer it to "Mabel" if they took it away from me.

Yes - they are taking credits away - even if they were granted months ago. Anyone who has not yet traveled is being asked for $200 US. They can't go after anyone who has already traveled - BUT, if I haven't yet used that credit (although Viking already has the money from the person I referred) then that is being taken off my bill. They are still working out how much more I owe on this cruise. If they can't get the person I referred on the phone, I am not granted the benefit of the doubt - they are considering it fraudulent and removing the credit.

We have friends that we have known almost 20 years. They received a brochure for the Viking ocean cruises - and went to "our" TA --> as I referred them to her a number of years ago. They booked a very expensive ocean cruise - and Viking has just asked for the $200 top-up.... AFTER they had paid in full almost a year out. We definitely know them - they took their 1st river cruise on our recommendation, and were aware of Viking as we talked about our experiences. Viking agreed not to push for their extra $200 - but personal reassurances from our TA about knowing this couple did not result in us getting back the referral credit from their booking.

I booked the cruise because I wanted to go on this cruise. And, it didn't hinge on referral credits. I paid in full - using the credits they said I had - and it has come as quite a shock to have them deny the credits at this late date. If they had issues with the referrals, they should have flagged them at the time the final payment was due.

To add insult to injury, our dollar has tanked - so the difference in money owing now will also be significant.

After being assured by at LEAST 3 different reservation agents that I did have the "free cruise" credit coming, I booked a trip to China this fall. The "free cruise" credit didn't cover it all -but was prepared to pay the difference, as well as the fairly high cost for DH's fare. I also booked air fare.

Needless to say, Viking has now pulled my "free cruise" voucher - and I have cancelled the cruise. It is just too cost prohibitive - with the current CDN $ conversion - to consider going this year. I am now looking at what I can do with my air fare. We are looking into doing a trip on our own...

Viking is giving us the impression that this is "our" fault... as if we really didn't refer these people. Their literature is completely misleading - as it just says to give your name and customer number. Anyone who contacted me was given my full name - and customer number. My TA also gave that. In many cases, she would contact me to ask questions on behalf of people who were thinking of booking... So, I do feel I referred them.

At the end of the day, I am still excited about doing the Elbe. This has been in the planning phase for a number of years. There aren't many options for the Elbe - so may have ended up with Viking anyway.

But, certainly don't plan on booking with them again. There are lots of options out there - and would sooner give my business to a company that is less morally corrupt. I don't ask for much --> just that you deal with me in a respectful manner, and that your business transactions are transparent. The timing of these "denials" - after payment was made using the credits almost 10 months ago - leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I am not posting here to try and pressure Viking into changing their mind. I contacted someone "higher up" in the company to see if something could be done. The e-mail response was prompt - and respectful - but she passed the the e-mail along to someone else who hasn't responded. I did tell them:mad:

QUOTE.

Oh my Fran, how terrible. I can't believe ANY company, especially one with as visible a presence as Viking, would treat a long time customer so shabbily. I've done the same thing with Vantage and they don't give a trip credit they just send me a check. I have a feeling they are well aware of how the referrals are made because none of the names of the people I've referred through CC are listed on my referrals page. I don't know much about consumer law, and nothing about Canadian, but would it be worth talking to a lawyer? The word "fraud" keeps popping into my brain, since they don't make the requirement that you be "personally acquainted" with the referred passenger, who lets face it, if they book a cruise Viking is making a whole lot more money than they're giving you, which sounds like a "commission" to me.

FYI, it's probably too late, but Vantage does have an Elbe cruise.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Fran,

I have no words for your situation. I am so, so sorry. I now know why I haven't gotten a monthly update on my referrals from Viking. They had to have pulled mine as well. I had about $1000 I was planning to use for a cruise next year. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. You have at least saved some of us from a horrible mistake.

Best to you on your upcoming cruise.

Becki

Yikes -- that's a really bad way to approach a situation like this.

I've heard of other (non-travel) companies that realized that they needed to pull back the use of referral credits. Bloggers would post a referral code and then basically get free products for ever from the company (these are people who would have hundreds or thousands of referrals a year). But when the referral credit usage was changed, it was done prospectively and they would limit their applicability, not by challenging the "validity" of the referrals.

I'm guessing Viking is running into a similar issue with too many people having "too many/too much" referral credit. But if they think that the way to fix that problem is to accuse people who have been satisfied customers of scamming them -- boy, are they going to be surprised at how this backfires.

So they've no basically accused OP of scamming them (even though I don't see how you did anything wrong) and retroactively asked her to pay more for something that was paid-in-full a long time ago -- that's just flat out dumb. And taking away the $200 from others who used you (legitimately!!) as a referral seems ... petty.

They've probably already lost more $$ in future bookings than the $1,400 they've asked you to pay just from this one post. It never ceases to amaze me how little companies understand about the power of social media.

I think your attitude about the upcoming cruise is remarkable and I hope you have a wonderful time!

Yikes -- that's a really bad way to approach a situation like this.

I've heard of other (non-travel) companies that realized that they needed to pull back the use of referral credits. Bloggers would post a referral code and then basically get free products for ever from the company (these are people who would have hundreds or thousands of referrals a year). But when the referral credit usage was changed, it was done prospectively and they would limit their applicability, not by challenging the "validity" of the referrals.

I'm guessing Viking is running into a similar issue with too many people having "too many/too much" referral credit. But if they think that the way to fix that problem is to accuse people who have been satisfied customers of scamming them -- boy, are they going to be surprised at how this backfires.

So they've no basically accused OP of scamming them (even though I don't see how you did anything wrong) and retroactively asked her to pay more for something that was paid-in-full a long time ago -- that's just flat out dumb. And taking away the $200 from others who used you (legitimately!!) as a referral seems ... petty.

They've probably already lost more $$ in future bookings than the $1,400 they've asked you to pay just from this one post. It never ceases to amaze me how little companies understand about the power of social media.

I think your attitude about the upcoming cruise is remarkable and I hope you have a wonderful time!

Pretty much sums it up. I think I would tell Viking "if you want your money back, sue me".....I will bet the whole amount that they won't do that. For one thing their lawyer would cost more than the referral credits!!!

And if it's added on to a trip you've booked and paid for, when their referral policy was in use, and now they want you to "pay them back" by adding it to your invoice, I would definitely consult an attorney about the possibility of suing them for breach of contract. They love pointing out to us that our agreement with them is a contract and contracts bind ALL parties. At least here in the US and I can't imagine Canada to be much different.

Fran, what a mess for you!!!!! Have tried once to give a referral to friends--they were told that since it wasn't used at booking it was no good. I do not like their business practices and they have seen the last of us riveror ocean. Pat

I am so sorry to hear how you have been treated but I'm not surprised.

On a Viking cruise that cost over $23,000: Final invoice shows it was paid in full. Two months later, I called to make sure the docs were going to the correct address and guess what?

"You still owe $200."

"What? I have an invoice showing it was paid in full."

"No, sorry, this is the final price."

Argh! :mad:

I have never, ever had a cruise line not honor a final invoice price.

So I guess if the referrals are "fraudulent," then every person that used your name will also be stuck paying an additional $200, like your friends. Yeah, Viking is going to lose a lot more in goodwill than they're gaining by telling all those cruisers they owe another $200!

Hi everyone -

First of all - thank you ALL for your support....

I have an update to post (as promised....)

I received a call today from a senior Customer Service rep at Viking. She is the person asked to follow-up with the e-mail I initially sent to the Viking "higher up" that I have dealt with in the past.

This person was extremely apologetic for the situation. By the time I talked with her (5:30 pm EST) she had already sent an e-mail to my TA stating that all credits were reinstated, and that there was no monies owing on my Elbe cruise. I had an opportunity to discuss the entire situation, and I do feel that she listened.

I am concerned that people I have referred may have their referral credits pulled. She indicated that she would review my list of credits - and would ensure that if that had happened, the monies would be re-applied to the booking. I did discuss CC referrals - and told her that I felt they were legitimate. I don't post my full name or customer # on CC --> people need to contact me for that information. I often will ask questions, make suggestions etc - so that is a "legitimate" referral. And, the referral credit is only of use if you are going to book another Viking cruise. The literature does not indicate that you need a "personal" relationship. My suggestion was that if they want to change the referral parameters, they should do so in writing, in a transparent fashion - and from an identified date going forward. Applying any changes retroactively is a poor practice.

As my credits were reinstated, I was informed that my "free cruise" voucher was also reinstated. The person that I spoke with said that she understood if this situation left a bad taste in my mouth, but hoped that I would reconsider my decision and continue on with my plans for China. I told her that I had asked for the trip to be cancelled, so the cabin may already be gone (we got the last cabin on the boat....). She looked - said the booking was still there (as it often takes 48 hours to process the cancellation) - so put a note on the booking asking them not to cancel so that I could have some time to consider my options. If I choose to go ahead with the cancellation, then they will refund all of my deposit.

At the end of the conversation, I did feel that my concerns were heard, the responses given were respectful, and the person that I spoke with acknowledged the anger and frustration that I experienced. I do feel that the apologies were sincere. And, I got a sense that there will be MANY more discussions going on behind closed doors at Viking.

The situation seemed to have started with people in the reservations department - and the people in that department were *NOT* respectful or helpful to my TA (who spent many hours trying to sort this out....). I doubt that she, or anyone in her office, will be actively seeking out Viking bookings anytime in the near future... Lots of time spent - and ++++ aggravation for what should have been a straight forward booking.

To be honest, I don't know what we will do about the China trip. On one hand, I am thinking it would be best just to walk away. We are going to China - just need to figure out what to do once we land in Beijing!!

On the other hand, there are things about the Viking itinerary that both DH and I like. The voucher has been reinstated - and this is a pretty nice chunk of change to put towards our trip. And, after reaching out to someone outside the reservations office (using an e-mail address I had kept from 2 years ago....), I received a quick response to my e-mail - with a promise that it was passed along to someone who could - and did - help.

Final payment for China was due yesterday - but I now have a few more days to decide what to do.

I will keep you posted on our final plans.

Fran

What I cannot understand, and do not accept, is a retroactive change of policy. Viking should have announced "On this date XXX, this new policy will be in place."

I had this exact conversation with the person I was dealing with.

I notice that JazzBeau has reinstated the Viking Referral thread until this can be sorted out with Viking. Hopefully this will be cleared up.

Fran

Fran,

I have no words for your situation. I am so, so sorry. I now know why I haven't gotten a monthly update on my referrals from Viking. They had to have pulled mine as well. I had about $1000 I was planning to use for a cruise next year. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. You have at least saved some of us from a horrible mistake.

Best to you on your upcoming cruise.

Becki

Hi Becki - It is interesting to know that you haven't had a monthly update either. My TA mentioned this to the reservations department, and they seemed very blase about this - as if it wasn't important.

I did read your post just before speaking with the person at Viking - and did mention it during our conversation (hope you don't mind....). I indicated that if people were collecting credits - and felt that they had been pulled (as mine had been) - that they wouldn't have an incentive to even consider Viking for a cruise in the future. Her response was something along the line of "Oh no... this isn't good....".

I did get a sense that much of what I told her came as quite a surprise. She really didn't say that in so many words, but I wouldn't expect someone at that level to respond in a way that wasn't professional (although I have been surprised in the past, in other situations..... :eek: )

I guess the proof will be in the pudding.... Wonder if we will get updated referral reports? Ones that include credits already used, as well as those still available.

Fran

I had this exact conversation with the person I was dealing with.

I notice that JazzBeau has reinstated the Viking Referral thread until this can be sorted out with Viking. Hopefully this will be cleared up.

Fran

We definitely need to hear more from Viking about this -- and I believe we will, since CC management has contacted them. Was this resolution just a one-off for you, or will it apply to the others whose referral credits seem to have been retroactively cancelled? And what is the policy going forward? We need an official communication from Viking with a clear statement of the policy that everyone can rely on going forward.