Little French Key

menu1895

hi all, after learning about LFK on these forums I signed my family of 5. I have since learned there will be 2 other ships in port the same day. I was worried about recent mixed reviews regarding overcrowding, etc. so I emailed them. No LFK excursion on the Carnival ships and I didn't see one for Norwegian so should that help with crowd levels? It's great they are becoming so popular and will be the best thing going for many but with huge crowds your tranquil island experience may not be found. I plan to follow up a few days before we arrive but of course their response will not include any walk ups. What are your thoughts?? Can the island accommodate their new limits?

This is my email and their response..

hi! We are counting down the days to our visit on August 2nd! I heard there will be 3 cruise ships in port the day of our

reservation and I'm concerned about crowds. Do you limit how many guests

and do you know how many have signed up so far? Thanks for your time and we look forward to our day with you!

Date: June 28, 2016 at 9:46:19 AM CDT

Subject: Re: Reservation Confirmation

Good Morning,

We have a limit off 600- to 700 guest and once we see we are pack we close

the entrance.

At the moment we are only about 201 guest so far for that day.

Anything keep me posted.

Best Regards,

Melissa Dixon

I just think there are too many variables to advice one way or the other only on number of people. I mean a rowdy disrespectful group of 15 can impact a holiday. Or some peoples tolerance is higher than others.

I have heard far to many whispers of poor practices I would not give LFK my money. A chained predatory cat alone is reason to stay away for me.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Your insight is well taken 2000. A bad group here or anywhere else could effect the whole outing. The island seems small from pictures I have seen but I think and hope we'd be able to find a quiet slice. It sort of seems like LFK has grown so in popularity, once being a hidden gem but now becoming more touristy. I've only seen serene pictures so not even sure if there is a real crowd problem. Not one for zoos, I've tried to read up on the animals and thought it was more of a rescue/rehab environment?

Edited by menu1895

Your insight is well taken 2000. A bad group here or anywhere else could effect the whole outing. The island seems small from pictures I have seen but I think and hope we'd be able to find a quiet slice. It sort of seems like LFK has grown so in popularity, once being a hidden gem but now becoming more touristy. I've only seen serene pictures so not even sure if there is a real crowd problem. Not one for zoos, I've tried to read up on the animals and thought it was more of a rescue/rehab environment?

Where did you find the information regarding how many ships will be in port that day? That would be useful information for sure! We are going to be there next Tuesday. Thanks!

Perhaps it is hard to tell the different between rehab and zoo..but any place that chains a wild cat for swimming and photos with tourists is NOT attempting any kind of rehab. This would be my very own opinion , mileage may vary.

The whole of the island of Roatan is beautiful, I have no idea why LFK has such a following.

Bobby ~ Try this site

hi all, after learning about LFK on these forums I signed my family of 5. I have since learned there will be 2 other ships in port the same day. I was worried about recent mixed reviews regarding overcrowding, etc. so I emailed them. No LFK excursion on the Carnival ships and I didn't see one for Norwegian so should that help with crowd levels? It's great they are becoming so popular and will be the best thing going for many but with huge crowds your tranquil island experience may not be found. I plan to follow up a few days before we arrive but of course their response will not include any walk ups. What are your thoughts?? Can the island accommodate their new limits?

This is my email and their response..

hi! We are counting down the days to our visit on August 2nd! I heard there will be 3 cruise ships in port the day of our

reservation and I'm concerned about crowds. Do you limit how many guests

and do you know how many have signed up so far? Thanks for your time and we look forward to our day with you!

Date: June 28, 2016 at 9:46:19 AM CDT

Subject: Re: Reservation Confirmation

Good Morning,

We have a limit off 600- to 700 guest and once we see we are pack we close

the entrance.

At the moment we are only about 201 guest so far for that day.

Anything keep me posted.

Best Regards,

Melissa Dixon

Gosh the limit number from the owners just goes up and up!

A far cry from the original reviews back in 2012 when LFK first hit the boards. My main concern would be how many pontoon boats do they have and how many do they carry safely. I have read about lines to get over there initially but haven't read much about getting back. What about getting a boat back and then transport back to the port if there are 600-700 people?

Most ships come into and leave port at different times. Last time we were there they stopped letting people on the island at 500(3 cruise ships in port) it took 45 minutes just to pay and get a ferry and it was a bit crowded in the morning then thinned out after lunch. I think I counted 3 boats each could take 40 or so people. They give you a time for your ship that the last ferry to be on to be able to make it back in time. We had no issues and we were back 45 minutes before sail away. I can tell this I will not schedule a visit there again if I see 3 ships.

In two weeks we are going back but we are the only ship in port, so I would expect less then 200 will be there that day and the island is plenty big enough for 200 people to spread out.

Perhaps it is hard to tell the different between rehab and zoo..but any place that chains a wild cat for swimming and photos with tourists is NOT attempting any kind of rehab. This would be my very own opinion , mileage may vary.

The whole of the island of Roatan is beautiful, I have no idea why LFK has such a following.

Bobby ~ Try this site

I think LFK offered a lot more solitude at one point and I was caught up in that appeal and thought it was rehab and then the animals would be set free in their natural habitats elsewhere. Yes I agree, there is more to Roatan than LFK. Looking at different excursions:)

Gosh the limit number from the owners just goes up and up!

A far cry from the original reviews back in 2012 when LFK first hit the boards. My main concern would be how many pontoon boats do they have and how many do they carry safely. I have read about lines to get over there initially but haven't read much about getting back. What about getting a boat back and then transport back to the port if there are 600-700 people?

I know! 6 - 700 just seems like to many people but I think you can leave when you want?? I'm looking at other excursions. I would like to get a better feel for Roatan and although LFK looks beautiful in many pictures, beauty will be everywhere.

Most ships come into and leave port at different times. Last time we were there they stopped letting people on the island at 500(3 cruise ships in port) it took 45 minutes just to pay and get a ferry and it was a bit crowded in the morning then thinned out after lunch. I think I counted 3 boats each could take 40 or so people. They give you a time for your ship that the last ferry to be on to be able to make it back in time. We had no issues and we were back 45 minutes before sail away. I can tell this I will not schedule a visit there again if I see 3 ships.

In two weeks we are going back but we are the only ship in port, so I would expect less then 200 will be there that day and the island is plenty big enough for 200 people to spread out.

Thank you! This is the real life (3 ships in port) experience I was wondering about.

Edited by menu1895
added

We have been there with 2 ships in port and it never felt crowded. LFK has expanded so much over the last few years and there and several different beaches and areas to hang out that it just never seems crowded. The amount of people they take goes up because they have made more room for them. At the moment I can think of 6 different beaches and areas to hang out by the water. Then factor in those areas around the animals and decks and other areas that you can sit in the water and swim (with no beach) and you have plenty of places to go.

You won't find this as an excursion on any of the ships. (That's something from the past and only Carnival had a contract with them back then, but LFK did not renew the contract and Carnival made their own little island across from this place instead). So...that means that the only way anyone knows about this place is going to be on these boards (or other boards and places like trip advisor), staying on the island, word of mouth and so on.

We think it's absolutely gorgeous there and probably one of the prettiest places we've ever seen. Although I will admit that it doesn't have the same "feel" as it did back before they expanded (but then again, Carnival didn't have a place backed up to the same lagoon back then either).

I have reviews in my signature line if you are interested in seeing the place (there's several). They are VERY picture heavy. It might give you a better idea of what it's like there...even with several ships in port. :)

We have been there with 2 ships in port and it never felt crowded. LFK has expanded so much over the last few years and there and several different beaches and areas to hang out that it just never seems crowded. The amount of people they take goes up because they have made more room for them. At the moment I can think of 6 different beaches and areas to hang out by the water. Then factor in those areas around the animals and decks and other areas that you can sit in the water and swim (with no beach) and you have plenty of places to go.

You won't find this as an excursion on any of the ships. (That's something from the past and only Carnival had a contract with them back then, but LFK did not renew the contract and Carnival made their own little island across from this place instead). So...that means that the only way anyone knows about this place is going to be on these boards (or other boards and places like trip advisor), staying on the island, word of mouth and so on.

We think it's absolutely gorgeous there and probably one of the prettiest places we've ever seen. Although I will admit that it doesn't have the same "feel" as it did back before they expanded (but then again, Carnival didn't have a place backed up to the same lagoon back then either).

I have reviews in my signature line if you are interested in seeing the place (there's several). They are VERY picture heavy. It might give you a better idea of what it's like there...even with several ships in port. :)

Thanks for this. I was second guessing this excursion but will probably still go as long as the lines aren't too long.

Thanks for this. I was second guessing this excursion but will probably still go as long as the lines aren't too long.

The "lines" that people are referring to is once you get to Frenchy 44's.

You sign up for which package you want prior to going and secure your place there. Once you get off the ship, you meet them outside the gate where you are instructed to. They put everyone in the vans and take them to Frency 44's (which is a restaurant across from LFK and the owner's own). THIS is where people are talking about a line. You go to the outside restaurant area that's right on the dock and there's a sign in desk. That's where you will show your reservation and pay your balance. Then you get on the boat (barge) to be taken directly across from there to the island.

I mean it's a restaurant located on the water at a dock...so with anything "boat" related no matter where you go, you'll wait on it to get filled before going over. They have SEVERAL, so no worries if you don't get one, there's one behind it. Same with coming back...they are running them all day and you are welcome to leave at any time. :)

I can guarantee that anyone on any tour or excursion that they are there with other people and they wait in lines everywhere they go. I'm not sure why people are complaining about waiting in a line here at the dock to pay. It's no different than anywhere else. Just like when you book an excursion with the cruise line, you are not a one man private tour...you wait for the group that booked with you, you go together and so on. If you shop, you stand in a line to check out. You stand in line to get back on the ship. But for some reason to stand in line at the dock to pay for this place and get on the boat to go over, people have an issue with. :confused: I just don't understand it. LOL :p

I think you'll be fine. And if it's not something you enjoy, then you'll know next time. For the most part, those that go have a wonderful time and go back time and time again. It's just a very laid back and peaceful place that is surrounded in beauty. If you decide to go, I hope you have fun. :)

The "lines" that people are referring to is once you get to Frenchy 44's.

You sign up for which package you want prior to going and secure your place there. Once you get off the ship, you meet them outside the gate where you are instructed to. They put everyone in the vans and take them to Frency 44's (which is a restaurant across from LFK and the owner's own). THIS is where people are talking about a line. You go to the outside restaurant area that's right on the dock and there's a sign in desk. That's where you will show your reservation and pay your balance. Then you get on the boat (barge) to be taken directly across from there to the island.

I mean it's a restaurant located on the water at a dock...so with anything "boat" related no matter where you go, you'll wait on it to get filled before going over. They have SEVERAL, so no worries if you don't get one, there's one behind it. Same with coming back...they are running them all day and you are welcome to leave at any time. :)

I can guarantee that anyone on any tour or excursion that they are there with other people and they wait in lines everywhere they go. I'm not sure why people are complaining about waiting in a line here at the dock to pay. It's no different than anywhere else. Just like when you book an excursion with the cruise line, you are not a one man private tour...you wait for the group that booked with you, you go together and so on. If you shop, you stand in a line to check out. You stand in line to get back on the ship. But for some reason to stand in line at the dock to pay for this place and get on the boat to go over, people have an issue with. :confused: I just don't understand it. LOL :p

I think you'll be fine. And if it's not something you enjoy, then you'll know next time. For the most part, those that go have a wonderful time and go back time and time again. It's just a very laid back and peaceful place that is surrounded in beauty. If you decide to go, I hope you have fun. :)

I can only give my experience with 3 ships and will be there again on the 21st of july since there is only 1 ship.

Got off the Navigator when we docked. Found the LFK people and they had 3 large shuttle waiting, each shuttle was holding 50 or so people and they waited until all 3 were filled to leave. Around 45 minutes, instead of leaving as they fill. Then we take the 20-25 minute drive to Frenchies. A Carnival ship and Princess ship was also in port at the same time. When we arrived the line was up the walkway probably 100 deep, out into the parking lot about half way in the dirt. When we unloaded our 3 buses of about 150 people the line was almost to the end of the parking lot, we were in the middle. It took another 45 minutes to an hour to get paid(this is the bottle neck). To help with you confusion it is not fun to stand in 90 degree weather, 95% humidity with no shade with a 6 year old child. I know now to be sure we have bottles of water just in case this happens again. So to get off ship and onto island was over 2 hours it was about 11:00. Once on the island it was full and all loungers were being used. Yes of course there is space in the water and on the beach, but they did not have enough loungers or crew. I even asked the wife of the owner and she is the one that gave me the 500 number and stated they were turning away the walk-ups.

Say what you want about lines, but time is limited. The boats were not the issue it was them only have 3 people taking money at the dock. I'm just giving my experience of what happens when 3 mega ships are in port. I will always check the cruisett site to check how many ships will be in this port to determine if we go back.

It was a very nice place and the husband and wife were very neat people and they too were very open about how crowded it was that day and they were overwhelmed. Like I said I'm going back in 2 weeks and my family is excited because we could the see the potential if it was not so crowded and did not have so much wasted time at the dock.

By the way it was your original review that hooked me on this place and your pictures are correct about its beauty and we are also based on you photos stopping by Blue Kay when in Costa Maya.

I can only give my experience with 3 ships and will be there again on the 21st of july since there is only 1 ship.

Got off the Navigator when we docked. Found the LFK people and they had 3 large shuttle waiting, each shuttle was holding 50 or so people and they waited until all 3 were filled to leave. Around 45 minutes, instead of leaving as they fill. Then we take the 20-25 minute drive to Frenchies. A Carnival ship and Princess ship was also in port at the same time. When we arrived the line was up the walkway probably 100 deep, out into the parking lot about half way in the dirt. When we unloaded our 3 buses of about 150 people the line was almost to the end of the parking lot, we were in the middle. It took another 45 minutes to an hour to get paid(this is the bottle neck). To help with you confusion it is not fun to stand in 90 degree weather, 95% humidity with no shade with a 6 year old child. I know now to be sure we have bottles of water just in case this happens again. So to get off ship and onto island was over 2 hours it was about 11:00. Once on the island it was full and all loungers were being used. Yes of course there is space in the water and on the beach, but they did not have enough loungers or crew. I even asked the wife of the owner and she is the one that gave me the 500 number and stated they were turning away the walk-ups.

Say what you want about lines, but time is limited. The boats were not the issue it was them only have 3 people taking money at the dock. I'm just giving my experience of what happens when 3 mega ships are in port. I will always check the cruisett site to check how many ships will be in this port to determine if we go back.

It was a very nice place and the husband and wife were very neat people and they too were very open about how crowded it was that day and they were overwhelmed. Like I said I'm going back in 2 weeks and my family is excited because we could the see the potential if it was not so crowded and did not have so much wasted time at the dock.

By the way it was your original review that hooked me on this place and your pictures are correct about its beauty and we are also based on you photos stopping by Blue Kay when in Costa Maya.

Thanks for sharing your experience and I hate that it sounded like a madhouse the day you were there. I am glad I have not experience a line all the way into the parking lot. I don't doubt you at all, I just have not personally experienced it and it has always ran pretty smooth the days we were there and for most people (as noted in other reviews). I do know that I have read some that came off as they were just impatient and nothing ever goes right. I take things with stride and have an "it is what it is" type of attitude. Nothing I can do to change it so I try to make the best of it. But I totally understand, especially on a hot day and standing in line with a little one. I wonder if there's a way you can ask them how many are booked for the day you are there in advance and plan accordingly? There are so many different things that people look for when picking a place. Some are interested in rustic, some more resort like, some with no people, others don't mind the crowd. I adapt rather well and can take either. I'm also the type of person I could care less if there's any chairs. I'll throw my things down in a corner and head for the water never sitting in a chair once (I even do this at the local pool and beach). But that's just me. So I can pretty much go anywhere and have a good time. :D (Not at ALL saying this isn't you or you can't do it...or anyone else for that matter, just saying how I am and everyone has a different experience based on what they look for in a beach).

I hope you have a wonderful experience this time around. It's such a beautiful place. It's probably one of my favorites to date. However, I am a person that likes to go different places each time in port and I believe this place has been so built up (and can't imagine it changing much more) that I'm not sure if I'll go back on my "next" trip here. I may have to find something different just to get more experiences. Although I'm sure I'll end up there again one day. :)

Happy cruising my friend. :)

Thank you Mitsugirly for the recent info and pictures. It's good to learn LFK has improved their space with more "areas" for guests. Logisitics can change in a day and sounds like adjusting for the day with more ticket sellers, maybe having 1 bus leave as soon as its full instead of waiting for all 3 to fill will be a beneficial practice to put in to place, maybe one they will do someday.

Vettecruiser1 - Have fun in 2 weeks when you go there! Interested to hear your thoughts with 2 ships in port and the newer spaces added to the island.

It's nice no deposit is needed beforehand so one can email them and ask how many reservations are in the book- of course that doesn't take in to account walk ups and no shows but will still give somewhat of an idea of interest.

Thank you Mitsugirly for the recent info and pictures. It's good to learn LFK has improved their space with more "areas" for guests. Logisitics can change in a day and sounds like adjusting for the day with more ticket sellers, maybe having 1 bus leave as soon as its full instead of waiting for all 3 to fill will be a beneficial practice to put in to place, maybe one they will do someday.

I just wanted to say that this has always been "my" experience. We have never had to wait for all buses to fill up the times we have been there. When one is full, it pulls away. So it sounds like they have already been practicing that, but the other poster did not experience it the day they were there. It's hard to tell why this was a factor that day.

I just wanted to say that this has always been "my" experience. We have never had to wait for all buses to fill up the times we have been there. When one is full, it pulls away. So it sounds like they have already been practicing that, but the other poster did not experience it the day they were there. It's hard to tell why this was a factor that day.

Right, things happen in business and leisure that one can't always expect. Grateful to have so many beautiful choices when we travel.

We are going in April, and will be one of 3 ships in Port. According to Port times, we get there 2.:). I had planned on going to LFK, then came across this thread. However, as I did research, it sounded like, "crowded" was a common theme everywhere. Somebody said bananarama was crowded, the pictures of Beacher's shows the chairs touching each other..so my point, I guess is, will everywhere be crowded? I hate to skip LFK, only to find myself at an equally crowded beach. If we have the attitude we might have to wait a bit to get in, will it be so awful once we are inside? We have done the Island tour and the monkey thing, and really just wanted beautiful beach and good snorkeling. :)

We are going in April, and will be one of 3 ships in Port. According to Port times, we get there 2.:). I had planned on going to LFK, then came across this thread. However, as I did research, it sounded like, "crowded" was a common theme everywhere. Somebody said bananarama was crowded, the pictures of Beacher's shows the chairs touching each other..so my point, I guess is, will everywhere be crowded? I hate to skip LFK, only to find myself at an equally crowded beach. If we have the attitude we might have to wait a bit to get in, will it be so awful once we are inside? We have done the Island tour and the monkey thing, and really just wanted beautiful beach and good snorkeling. :)

You are absolutely correct. If there's 3 ships in port, you can probably count on any of the popular places being crowded. I think a lot of people go to the West Bay beach area, whether on their own or with an excursion. It's a popular place, especially for snorkelers. But another thing to take into consideration is the vendors you will find going up and down the beach at West Bay. There are many reports of them hassling you non-stop and even reports of them actually coming out in the water to ask you buy things. LOL Now that's dedication. :rolleyes: You won't find anything like that when you are on a private island. Just saying...:p

Somewhere on CC, I saw that LFK takes awhile to get back to you but they do. So far, two messaged to them over two weeks and not a peek. Anyone have experience somewhere else that has beach, food, toilets and something to do other than laze around?

Somewhere on CC, I saw that LFK takes awhile to get back to you but they do. So far, two messaged to them over two weeks and not a peek. Anyone have experience somewhere else that has beach, food, toilets and something to do other than laze around?

I would email again. They have been very quick to respond to me so far. No recommendations, this will be our first visit.

Edited by menu1895

I visited LFK last Tuesday and I was worried about the crowds with 2 ships in ports after reading the latest reviews. I had reserved 2 spots(they returned my e-mail almost immediately) and I was taking 2 walk-ups with me. We found Larry immediately and they loaded us into a van and we left right away. When we got to Frenchy's there was NO line and I was able to breathe a sigh of relief! A couple of larger groups came right after us but they seemed to check them in fairly quickly and they ended up on our barge. Once on LFK we had our pick of spots and as mitsugirly mentioned there are plenty of beach areas to plop down. I think the 2nd ship did not arrive later because I did notice that all of a sudden it began to get a lot busier. There were still plenty of places to lounge, still some kayaks, etc. available to use just not as many as at the beginning of our day. It never felt too crowded. I think the trick might be to get to Larry/Dave as quick as possible; no dawdling on the ship, port, etc. and you might be able to avoid some of those lines by being first. Beautiful, relaxing place and I would recommend to anyone!!

I visited LFK last Tuesday and I was worried about the crowds with 2 ships in ports after reading the latest reviews. I had reserved 2 spots(they returned my e-mail almost immediately) and I was taking 2 walk-ups with me. We found Larry immediately and they loaded us into a van and we left right away. When we got to Frenchy's there was NO line and I was able to breathe a sigh of relief! A couple of larger groups came right after us but they seemed to check them in fairly quickly and they ended up on our barge. Once on LFK we had our pick of spots and as mitsugirly mentioned there are plenty of beach areas to plop down. I think the 2nd ship did not arrive later because I did notice that all of a sudden it began to get a lot busier. There were still plenty of places to lounge, still some kayaks, etc. available to use just not as many as at the beginning of our day. It never felt too crowded. I think the trick might be to get to Larry/Dave as quick as possible; no dawdling on the ship, port, etc. and you might be able to avoid some of those lines by being first. Beautiful, relaxing place and I would recommend to anyone!!

Nice to hear you had a great time!! I agree, staying ahead of the crowd can have big pay-offs! Curious what you thought about the animals, food, and if you snorkeled, how was it?