Belize Zoo

305diva

We went to the zoo in November 2012.

We contracted with a private tour guide before the cruise. It was $55 each (including the zoo admission fee) and it was just the two of us.

We made the arrangements though Griffith Eusey (mailto:syesue_bz@yahoo.com) though another guide provided the service. It was not a short drive but was interesting and passed quickly as the driver/guide pointed out so much and told us so much about Belize during the drive to the zoo and back. He was also our guide at the zoo - he was very knowledgeable and informative.

Capt.Nicolas Sanchez took us to the zoo and gave us a personal guided tour of the zoo. As we left the port area in Belize City and on our return to the city from the zoo, he pointed out sites in the city, including the house where he was born on May 5, 1935 and the home he lives in today. The whole four plus hours we spent with him, he told us about Belize. There is nothing you can ask him about Belize that he cannot answer. When he meets you, he will ask you where you live and then tell you something about that place. He has an amazing memory and amazing stories to tell.

Contact Capt. Nicolas Sanchez via BLASTOURSBELIZE@hotmail.com

This gentleman is amazing!

You might also check the Belize forum for tour guide suggestions and for more recent experiences. I expect you can arrange it at the tender dock as well if you don't want to book ahead of time.

It's 30miles/45km roughly. We passed it going to the ruins and I think it was about 45 minutes from the port.

No idea on the taxi, but one guy at the pool said they rented scooters and rode them out there...someone ran out of gas on the way back too. Based on the trip to that area, yikes...don't think I'd want to do that...people pass each other like crazy.

The Belize Zoo is interesting and not a place for small children. The fences are within inches of the walkway. You can put your hands through the chain link fencing that may or may not have the electricity turned off.

That's very good to know. Thanks!

That's very good to know. Thanks!

Our guide warned us once that while the electricity to the fencing ( which was knob and wire directly to regular chain link fencing) was supposed to be off, sometimes they forget. The big cat paced along the fence line and you could ( if you didn't mind pulling back a bloody stub) put your hands in to touch the cat. The guide did not waste one breath warning the set of oblivious parents that their snowflake would be a tender and tasty treat.

Thanks for the information. I haven't found any other threads about the Belize Zoo.

We went to the zoo in November 2012.

We contracted with a private tour guide before the cruise. It was $55 each (including the zoo admission fee) and it was just the two of us.

We made the arrangements though Griffith Eusey (mailto:syesue_bz@yahoo.com) though another guide provided the service. It was not a short drive but was interesting and passed quickly as the driver/guide pointed out so much and told us so much about Belize during the drive to the zoo and back. He was also our guide at the zoo - he was very knowledgeable and informative.

Capt.Nicolas Sanchez took us to the zoo and gave us a personal guided tour of the zoo. As we left the port area in Belize City and on our return to the city from the zoo, he pointed out sites in the city, including the house where he was born on May 5, 1935 and the home he lives in today. The whole four plus hours we spent with him, he told us about Belize. There is nothing you can ask him about Belize that he cannot answer. When he meets you, he will ask you where you live and then tell you something about that place. He has an amazing memory and amazing stories to tell.

Contact Capt. Nicolas Sanchez via BLASTOURSBELIZE@hotmail.com

This gentleman is amazing!

You might also check the Belize forum for tour guide suggestions and for more recent experiences. I expect you can arrange it at the tender dock as well if you don't want to book ahead of time.

Sorry, I guess I am just a different kind of parent and grandparent. One of the reasons that I highly recommend the zoo (I live here) for children of all ages, particularly toddlers is because they can really see the animals and are up close and personal. I also watch my charges. So if you want your child to having an amazing experience visit the zoo, but you also need to manage your child should you feel a real risk exists. When my grandkids visit, they always want to go to the zoo first. The post talking about a warning is the very first post I have ever read with this provisio. Most people are thrilled that their children, including very young ones can actually see the animals.

Sorry, I guess I am just a different kind of parent and grandparent. One of the reasons that I highly recommend the zoo (I live here) for children of all ages, particularly toddlers is because they can really see the animals and are up close and personal. I also watch my charges. So if you want your child to having an amazing experience visit the zoo, but you also need to manage your child should you feel a real risk exists. When my grandkids visit, they always want to go to the zoo first. The post talking about a warning is the very first post I have ever read with this provisio. Most people are thrilled that their children, including very young ones can actually see the animals.

The two children on our tour , like 4-6 yrs old, jumped out of their strollers and ran up to the fencing, sticking their hands though the fencing to try to touch the animals. Fortunately, the big cat was at the other end of the fence line. The one kid demanded the expensive looking camera and refused to give it back. Parents just left him do as he pleased...being they were on vacation and all.

From an adult perspective, it was a fascinating contrast of zoos, and a good view of the animals. I just know how to keep my hands to myself.

Anyone ever take a taxi directly to the zoo? How long was the ride? How much was the taxi fare?

Thanks in advance and Happy Cruising!

Can anyone answer this question from the OP?

Edited by OCruisers

Can anyone answer this question from the OP?

Sorry, I have answered in the past, so did not bother to answer again. While, I personally have not hired a taxi to go to the zoo (I live here) I know people who have. I do not have an exact price for you because it would depend on the taxi you hire outside of the TA. Ask for a price for 4 hours as you will need to have the taxi driver wait for you. I would not be surprised of a price of $100 US. Someone else in this thread posted the distance (which is significant for a taxi ride), another posted a private rate of about $110 for 2 people and their driver was also a tour guide and took them on the zoo tour, and another posted that they would be very afraid to take a taxi and try and get one for a return trip if you did not pay for the driver to wait.

It has been posted about taking the bus, which is an option and very cheap, maybe 6 US. You have to taxi or walk to the bus terminal in Belize City, and then take the bus, which will drop you off at the zoo. On the return trip, you catch the bus by standing at the side of the highway waiting for one to pass. This is not an option that I would recommend for cruise passengers, more for backpackers in the country trying to economically see the area.

Another option is a rental car and driving to the zoo. This is very easy to do. I use Crystal Car Rental when renting a car on the mainland. The zoo is about 45 minutes drive from the rental agency and not hard to get to or find. The rental agency will pick you up at the TA and return you to the TA. You will not be driving on downtown Belize City streets, so there is no problem there. I believe by the time you pay for the rental, the insurance (take it for the 12-18 it is) and taxes, etc. it is probably 80 US for the day. So with gas, you are about 100.

Personally, I would still hire a private tour guide or taxi driver on an hourly rate than take a cruise excursion to the zoo.

Have a great time and hopefully I have answered your question.

Janice

It sounds like it might be just about the same price to take the ship excursion and no worries about being left behind.

Have to agree with you! Also, lots easier with no worries about arranging to get there and back.

We went to the Belize Zoo in June. We hired a driver for $60 PP and that included a city tour also. It was a lovely excursion. The zoo is much more of an animal sanctuary/zoo hybrid and I would highly recommend a tour guide, as they provide a lot of information.

Here are some of the sights you may see:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone that attempted to answer my OP. My group prefers private tours, rather than the cattle herding that occurs with typical cruise excursions. :eek: I do a lot of research ahead of time (which is why I posted here) so that my group can have a safe trip. However, I do understand that some people are more comfortable with booking excursions directly with the cruise line. We like the freedom of having our tour catered to our specific needs. :D

Thanks again for the replies. :)

Happy Sailing! xoxo

Thanks for the wonderful pictures!!!!

We went to the Belize Zoo in June. We hired a driver for $60 PP and that included a city tour also. It was a lovely excursion. The zoo is much more of an animal sanctuary/zoo hybrid and I would highly recommend a tour guide, as they provide a lot of information.

Here are some of the sights you may see:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400