Tortolla

MikeNJ1109

On our next cruise (Harmony), St. Thomas is on the itinerary, for what will seem like the umpteenth time on the various cruises we've taken over the years. Each time, my wife and I debate whether to take the ferry over to Tortolla (BVI) to at least have something "different" for the day -- there's only so many times we can go to Megans Bay, I suppose.

We well know the risks on such a day trip -- problem with the ferry boat delaying us on the return to STT, unforeseen issues with Immigration upon arrival, traffic tying up our taxi to the ship, and so forth, which is why we haven't pulled the trigger yet.

That said, anyone out there in Cruise Critic land ever DONE the trip to Tortolla for the day? If so, we'd appreciate reading your experiences and getting a first hand account of how everything worked out.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

I've never done the trip to Tortola, but I have read that you need to take your passport to do it.

Yes, exactly -- STT is a US owned island in the Virgin Islands, and Tortolla is part of the British VI. Immigration clearance upon return to STT is required as a result.

Tortola is a fabulous island...one of my favourites. Like the OP, I would rather be anywhere but St. Thomas. I usually head over to St. John which is a short ferry ride and it is part of the USVI so doubtful you would need you passport. Beautiful island and another favourite of mine.

I would suggest taking the ferry to St. John instead of Tortola, or an organized tour of the Baths (Virgin Gorda)in BVI's.

1. The ferry runs more frequently to St John the Tortola. (The beaches are better in St. John)

2. The BVI ferry that stops at West End will be an expensive cab ride to wherever you want to go.

3. The BVI ferry that stops at Road Town is a bit longer, and in my opinion, there is less to do in Road Town then Charlotte Amaile.

Just my opinion, I have visited Tortola on many occasions, but never a day trip from St. Thomas while cruising.

Yes, exactly -- STT is a US owned island in the Virgin Islands, and Tortolla is part of the British VI. Immigration clearance upon return to STT is required as a result.

You will pass through customs in Tortola and again in STJ if returning to Red Hook, or in STT if returning to Charlotte Amalie.

I would suggest taking the ferry to St. John instead of Tortola, or an organized tour of the Baths (Virgin Gorda)in BVI's.

1. The ferry runs more frequently to St John the Tortola. (The beaches are better in St. John)

Yes there is a ferry every hour on the hour between Red Hook and Cruz Bay. But STJ is not the same experience as the BVI, of course.

Actually we think the beaches of Tortola and the other islands of the BVI are nicer than those of STT and STJ, and are much less crowded as well. But that is our opinion, a very different vibe from the more "Americanized" STJ and STT.

2. The BVI ferry that stops at West End will be an expensive cab ride to wherever you want to go.

Not necessarily, it depends on where you want to go. If your intent is to take the ferry from Road Town to Virgin Gorda then yes, you should ferry to Road Town. If renting a Jeep or taking a taxi to the nicest beaches along the north shore West End is perfect and Soper's Hole offers shopping and dining near the ferry terminal.

3. The BVI ferry that stops at Road Town is a bit longer, and in my opinion, there is less to do in Road Town then Charlotte Amaile.

Again it depends as these are two very different animals. For duty free shopping and barkers CA is the ultimate Caribbean shopping district. For nice little shops like Sunny Caribbee and a quieter waterfront experience Road Town is it. There is nothing else to do in Road Town (or CA) so a self-excursion to a beach, Jost Van Dyke, or the Baths, an island tour, or a day sail with a private operator is highly recommended. Tortola is a gorgeous, lush island with beautiful beaches and views from the hill tops.

Just my opinion, I have visited Tortola on many occasions, but never a day trip from St. Thomas while cruising.

Yes a day trip to Tortola is possible via ferry if you have enough time in port, but you won't have much time to spend there. But it is a nice day and a nice ride if you really want something different and Tortola is gorgeous. Your ferry choice depends on where on Tortola you want to go.

There is also a ferry that runs from Red Hook to Jost Van Dyke but your arrival/departure times and day of the week are the question. STJ is an easy self-excursion and that's why it is a popular alternative to STT.

Have you been to the nicer East End beaches on STT like Lindqvist and Sapphire? Or taken a nice daysail with Yacht Nightwind?

And Breakaway out of Sapphire marina offers a daysail to the BVI and the Baths that is tailored to cruise passengers, you may want to look at that and see if others are interested from your roll call.

Edited by blue_water