Aranui 5 Enroute to Tahiti for Maiden Voyage

Mercruiser

It appears that Aranui 5 is finally on her way from the shipyard in Shidao China to Papeete. You can track her progress at any of the marine tracking web sites such as http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/9677492

Marinetraffic shows her destination as Papeete, with an ETA of 2015-11-08 10:00 UTC. I hope that is correct, because I will actually be in Papeete on November 8.

Aranui 5 will replace the Aranui 3 on the 14 night Tahiti - Marquesas mixed cargo/passenger service. According to travel news sites, the first passenger cruise is planned for January.

This certainly isn't your cookie-cutter cruise ship. Small ship fans will have a new cruise ship to try on a very exotic itinerary.

Here is a picture taken last week near the shipyard.

i-XsCJ8vW.jpg

Edited by Mercruiser

It appears that bAranui 5 is finally on her way from the shipyard in Shidao China to Papeete. You can track her progress at any of the marine tracking web sites such as http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/9677492

Marinetraffic shows her destination as Papeete, with an ETA of 2015-11-08 10:00 UTC. I hope that is correct, because I will actually be in Papeete on November 8.

Aranui 5 will replace the Aranui 3 on the 14 night Tahiti - Marquesas mixed cargo/passenger service. According to travel news sites, the first passenger cruise is planned for January.

This certainly isn't your cookie-cutter cruise ship. Small ship fans will have a new cruise ship to try on a very exotic itinerary.

Here is a picture taken last week near the shipyard.

i-XsCJ8vW.jpg

A very interesting looking ship! Would love to take a voyage with them after reading all the reviews and just the itinerary alone. Thanks for sharing!

I agree. It is a very interesting looking itinerary. This isn't anything like a Caribbean cruise with 20,000 other passengers in port.

Itinerary

DAY 1 Depart Papeete, Tahiti 10:00 am

DAY 2 Takapoto atoll, Tuamotu Archipelago

DAY 3 At Sea

DAY 4 Nuku Hiva

DAY 5 Ua Pou (Hakahau-Hakahetau)

DAY 6 Tahuata & Hiva Oa

DAY 7 Fatu Hiva

DAY 8 Hiva Oa

DAY 9 Ua Huka

DAY 10 Nuku Hiva

DAY 11 At Sea

DAY 12 Rangiroa

DAY 13 Bora Bora

DAY 14 Arrive Papeete, Tahiti

Edited by Mercruiser

We sailed on the Aranui 2 and the Aranui 3. The move seems to be from mostly freight on Aranui 2 to more passengers on Aranui 3 to mostly passengers on Aranui 5. Both our trips were 10 years a part and among our very best travels. Many cruise passengers we met on regular cruise ships would not have been able to handle the rustic ambiance of the Aranui.

I am glad that the economy is healthy enough to support the locals.

Here is an interesting article on the Aranui 5 in an unlikely place for a cruise review: The Physician's Money Digest - http://www.hcplive.com/physicians-money-digest/lifestyle/freighter-travel-goes-upscale-aranui-changes-the-numbers-game

Sent from my Nexus 7

Great article and pictures! I REALLY want to go!

The Aranui 5 arrived in Papeete on Monday. Here are several French language articles about the arrival. Open them up in Google Chrome and they will automatically translate to English.

With videos:

http://polynesie.la1ere.fr/2015/11/09/l-aranui-5-papeete-aujourd-hui-304391.html

http://polynesie.la1ere.fr/2015/11/09/aranui-5-croisiere-inaugurale-le-12-decembre-304469.html

With interior slideshow

http://www.ladepeche.pf/photos/Arrivee-de-l-Aranui-5_gp3430727.html

http://www.tahiti-infos.com/Aranui-5-un-nouveau-cargo-pour-les-Marquises_a140181.html

I'm in Bora Bora right now. I hope to get some pictures of the Aranui on two weeks when we are in Papeete.

Sent from my Nexus 7

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the information -- I have just booked on the Aranui 5 -- March 19th sailing. Even though I'm a solo traveller -- I had to book a Premium Suite as that was all that they had left. This seems to be a very popular way to see this part of the world. I look forward to seeing your pictures when you are in Papeete.

• 2 months later...

Annz8, please post some pictures of the ship when you come back. like your room and pool area and whatever else you can. We will be on the ship June 11 but would really like to see a review before we go. Thanks, Janine P.S. Have a great time!!

• 1 month later...

After 13 days on the Aranui 5 -- It was hard to come back to 'real life' You really need to visit the "most remote inhabited islands of the world" to truly appreciate them. The meetings that were held each evening to prepare us for the day ahead were invaluable. Each island offered a different / unique experience.

I was impressed with the amenities aboard the ship -- my room was decadent - complete with a 55" TV. I did watch CNN in the morning -- and there was one channel the did offer english movies -- but I was never in my room much to take advantage of it!

The food was excellent. I don't eat lamb and when it was offered I was given fish (delicious!).

The tours of the islands and the lunches that were offered on them gave us a real feel for the local food and a chance to meet the people that lived there.

Every morning I spent on the bridge watching the sun rise and the boat dock (when we were coming into another island). Then the fun would start -- watching the unloading of the freight -- with the local people watching and waiting patiently for their wares ..... also waiting with their local produce to be purchased and then loaded onto the ship.

If anyone happens to have anything that the would like to know -- please put a message here and I would be more than happy to answer. You have to remember that this is not a typical cruise -- more of a taste of another way of life!

P1020655.jpg.d765b850d942237d0b3a50f8b2e1bdd4.jpg

P1020847.jpg.42ff8ccccfa31fcb3ffe1f0f1e3d45af.jpg

Edited by AnnZ8

After 13 days on the Aranui 5 -- It was hard to come back to 'real life' You really need to visit the "most remote inhabited islands of the world" to truly appreciate them. The meetings that were held each evening to prepare us for the day ahead were invaluable. Each island offered a different / unique experience.

I was impressed with the amenities aboard the ship -- my room was decadent - complete with a 55" TV. I did watch CNN in the morning -- and there was one channel the did offer english movies -- but I was never in my room much to take advantage of it!

The food was excellent. I don't eat lamb and when it was offered I was given fish (delicious!).

The tours of the islands and the lunches that were offered on them gave us a real feel for the local food and a chance to meet the people that lived there.

Every morning I spent on the bridge watching the sun rise and the boat dock (when we were coming into another island). Then the fun would start -- watching the unloading of the freight -- with the local people watching and waiting patiently for their wares ..... also waiting with their local produce to be purchased and then loaded onto the ship.

If anyone happens to have anything that the would like to know -- please put a message here and I would be more than happy to answer. You have to remember that this is not a typical cruise -- more of a taste of another way of life!

Thank you for doing this review. It sounds like you had a great time! The cruise sounds perfect for us after 37 years of cruising on "regular" cruise ships. Maybe someday :)

Did you arrange your own air/transfers? What extras do you need to pay for?( besides gratuities ) Are laundry facilities available or anywhere to wash and hang to dry?

Thanks for any advice and it sounds like you had an awesome time[emoji41]

You truly are not going to believe my answers........

I went through a travel agent -- and every transfer was included. However, if you fly into Papeete, Tahiti -- the airport is only a short taxi ride to the boat. A lot of people just stayed at a hotel downtown Papeete and went to the boat on Saturday morning. Either Air Tahiti Nui or Air France seems to be the way to this island.

Now -- here is the good part. No tipping is expected! (What????). However, there is a box on your way off the ship the last day that you can put something in. I did -- as the service and all the people were spectacular -- but there is no extra amount tacked onto your bill every day for gratuities. The only thing that appeared on my invoice was for a few drinks I had and some postcards etc. that I bought at the store that was on the boat.

The next 'good' part is that there are very few 'extras' that you need to pay for -- like a few scuba diving expeditions, fishing trips, and in Bora Bora there are some extras that you can do. However, all of the tours and meals are included. When you are on the boat you eat there -- if you are on an Island there is a local lunch served by the local people. I loved the food. There is not a selection like on Cruise Lines ... however, if you just like good healthy food -- you will like the fare that they offer.

Oh yes -- there are a lot of places that you are able to snorkel -- you need to supply your own snorkelling gear -- and no where to buy any ... so take your own. No cost to snorkel .... the boat stops at a few places ... and the snorkelling is out of this world!

Now -- ready for the best part? There are 3 days setup for laundry for whatever floor you are on. Everyone is supplied a bag made of netting and on your laundry date you just put your clothing into the bag and leave it outside your room. Everything but your underwear is laundered by them. For your underwear you have two choices -- you can wash them in the laundry located on the 2nd deck (soap and the code for the washer can be purchased from the store in the boat), or -- you can wash them in your room and there is a clothes line in your shower that you can hang them on.

If I would have known about the laundry -- it would have cut down on the amount of clothes I took.

There are no 'dress' evenings -- however, there is a Polynesian dinner served on the Pool Deck -- which is really a lot of fun! (rum punch is supplied .... free) some people dressed up Island Style.... but this is not a necessity.

There is a bottle of wine for every 4 people served at both lunch and dinner -- and, if you need a top up ... they will pour you an extra glass.

All of the local wares that are for sale on the islands only take cash -- either the Polynesian currency or American. No type of credit card is used on the islands..... yet, only credit cards are used on the boat.

I tried posting some pictures here ... but it just didn't seem to work! The Aranui Facebook page does have some great pictures -- and they have started to posted things from each day on the cruise.

There -- hope that I've answered a few things for you .... but, if you have anything else.... let me know.

I went through a travel agent -- and every transfer was included. However, if you fly into Papeete, Tahiti -- the airport is only a short taxi ride to the boat. A lot of people just stayed at a hotel downtown Papeete and went to the boat on Saturday morning. Either Air Tahiti Nui or Air France seems to be the way to this island.

Now -- here is the good part. No tipping is expected! (What????). However, there is a box on your way off the ship the last day that you can put something in. I did -- as the service and all the people were spectacular -- but there is no extra amount tacked onto your bill every day for gratuities. The only thing that appeared on my invoice was for a few drinks I had and some postcards etc. that I bought at the store that was on the boat.

The next 'good' part is that there are very few 'extras' that you need to pay for -- like a few scuba diving expeditions, fishing trips, and in Bora Bora there are some extras that you can do. However, all of the tours and meals are included. When you are on the boat you eat there -- if you are on an Island there is a local lunch served by the local people. I loved the food. There is not a selection like on Cruise Lines ... however, if you just like good healthy food -- you will like the fare that they offer.

Oh yes -- there are a lot of places that you are able to snorkel -- you need to supply your own snorkelling gear -- and no where to buy any ... so take your own. No cost to snorkel .... the boat stops at a few places ... and the snorkelling is out of this world!

Now -- ready for the best part? There are 3 days setup for laundry for whatever floor you are on. Everyone is supplied a bag made of netting and on your laundry date you just put your clothing into the bag and leave it outside your room. Everything but your underwear is laundered by them. For your underwear you have two choices -- you can wash them in the laundry located on the 2nd deck (soap and the code for the washer can be purchased from the store in the boat), or -- you can wash them in your room and there is a clothes line in your shower that you can hang them on.

If I would have known about the laundry -- it would have cut down on the amount of clothes I took.

There are no 'dress' evenings -- however, there is a Polynesian dinner served on the Pool Deck -- which is really a lot of fun! (rum punch is supplied .... free) some people dressed up Island Style.... but this is not a necessity.

There is a bottle of wine for every 4 people served at both lunch and dinner -- and, if you need a top up ... they will pour you an extra glass.

All of the local wares that are for sale on the islands only take cash -- either the Polynesian currency or American. No type of credit card is used on the islands..... yet, only credit cards are used on the boat.

I tried posting some pictures here ... but it just didn't seem to work! The Aranui Facebook page does have some great pictures -- and they have started to posted things from each day on the cruise.

There -- hope that I've answered a few things for you .... but, if you have anything else.... let me know.

Wow!! Thanks so much. I'm not on FB but will keep checking here if you end up posting pictures. I was looking at prices for next Dec. it just sounds awesome[emoji3]

Can you tell me how many ports you were able to snorkel in? I was reading a blog that someone started to post but it only went until like five days into the cruise. Thank you !

The cruise had 4 days that the ship stopped for swimming/snorkelling. You have to remember -- this really is a freighter first and foremost. There were other opportunities to snorkel when we stopped at the ports -- but nothing formal setup to snorkel.

Thank you AnnZ8,

Great to read your review (there aren't too many around!).

So nice hear you had a fantastic time and thanks for the laundry and snorkelling tips.

I'm interested in the tours you did on the islands. Any info would be great.

Every Island had a different type of tour -- for some there were 4 wheel drive trucks (like Toyota Tundra's etc) The driver was a local islander and this was his/her truck -- some spoke english fairly well so we got a true glimpse of island life. They took us to various spots where we were met by the guides. We saw Tikis, local dances, waterfalls, botanical gardens ..... some island you went on foot into the small towns -- but the guides were always there. Aranui has a marvellous Facebook page and they give you pictures of each day so you get a flavour of what all is involved. I have travelled a far amount but for some reason this trip has really gotten to me.... there is so much to see that I missed -- I know that I will be going back. I noticed that you are from Sydney -- there were a large number of Australian passengers onboard ..... complete with their amazing witty sense of humour!