Fiji Cruise

Noelle2016

We are planning a cruise within Fiji next year. The two local cruise lines to visit the Yasawas are Captain Cook and Blue Lagoon. From what I can see, Captain Cook's RV Reef Explorer has slightly bigger cabins and they open up to the deck so it is like having a pseudo-balcony. Blue Lagoon is appealing because they only sail up to 4 hours a day and you can do activities right off the boat. Has anyone been on either or both of these cruises? Can you provide some input on pros and cons of each?

I have done Captain Cook. After doing my research I felt this was likely the better boat from a quality point of view. Although my cruise was interrupted by a cyclone I was very happy with the days I did get to enjoy. We mainly sailed short distances at meals or overnight and most of the day was spent snorkelling.

What sort of water activities did you envisage doing "right off the boat"?

I have done Captain Cook. After doing my research I felt this was likely the better boat from a quality point of view. Although my cruise was interrupted by a cyclone I was very happy with the days I did get to enjoy. We mainly sailed short distances at meals or overnight and most of the day was spent snorkelling.

What sort of water activities did you envisage doing "right off the boat"?

Thanks for your feedback. I think the Captain Cook Fiji cruise sounds like a better fit too. In the photos of the Blue Lagoon cruise, they show it stopping close to the beach and they show two ladders on the back so it looks like people can take the ladder off the ship and walk to the beach, snorkel or kayak without a tender. How did the Captain Cook cruise handle getting people to the shore? Also, was everything except drinks and diving included or were there some shore excursions that you had to pay for? We are planning to go next May. I believe cyclone season is over by then. What month did you go in? Thanks!!

We did the Blue Lagoon Cruise a few years ago and you can find the review here on Cruise Critic. Everything was great except for the roaches on the ship. In the bathroom and the dining room really was disgusting.

I understand that things may have changed but that would be my only reservations.

There were 2 or 3 snorkel opportunities each day. They were either from a small tender (also concerning that there were no life jackets in the tender) which went to a reef or we went via tender to the beach to snorkel. One day is spent with the ship "backed up" to the beach with a barbecue served on the beach and snorkeling all day.

A 3 star ship, only about 50-60 passengers, we were the only ones from the US. Again, except for the roaches it was very well done.

For all the stops we did it was by tender, most of the snorkeling they guided/accompanied as along the reef and as peope tired they could get back on the tender. Those that wanted to go to lie on a beach could.

I dont recall any extra charges other than drinks or diving.

Sadly we didnt get roaches, but most reviews I read of Blue Lagoon Cruises commented on those (over and over!)

• 4 weeks later...