Free Internet Access Suva,Vila,Noumea?

BEENSAILING

DH and I will be on the Seattle to Sydney Explorer of the Seas Oct 2016 cruise.

Do any of you know of free - and reliable - internet access in ports of Suva, Fiji; Vila, Vanuatu; Noumea, New Caledonia?

Thanks.

We cruised HAL LA to Sydney in 2013, made these same stops.

Noumea is a big city and has a visitors center, ask there. We walked around to find a camera store and saw that it's a big, busy place. Also did a van tour there that we picked up outside the visitors center. Ask at the visitors center for free wifi and pay-for wifi - they usually have very good speeds and cost a very small amount, maybe as much as a $.

Vila, Vanuatu... we docked quite a long, hot walk from the business district but once we got there I do recall seeing people in cafes there with their laptops etc but our feeling was that the place was overrun with people from the ship (and not a large ship at that). I'd expect the free networks to be overloaded and extremely slow. Usually we do better on the ship while people are off it. The first part of our walk from the pier to town had a lot of aggressive vendors and taxi drivers. Next time I would take a taxi rather than do the walk. Ask the taxi driver about WiFi, and you might be able to find a pay-for internet café. You can also take a small boat taxi from the business district back to the ship pier.

We were in Suva on a Sunday and it was closed up pretty tight, not much of anything available.

m--

• 4 weeks later...
DH and I will be on the Seattle to Sydney Explorer of the Seas Oct 2016 cruise.

Do any of you know of free - and reliable - internet access in ports of Suva, Fiji; Vila, Vanuatu; Noumea, New Caledonia?

Thanks.

Hi, we are sailing with you on this cruise.

Suva - there are a number of "cheap" internet spots near the wharf which the cruise ship staff use. The only free spot we found was good old McDonalds, which is about 5-10 minutes walk. We were first in the store, hubby bought a drink while I logged on. Managed to get a quick email off to the family (we are here and safe) then other people starting pouring into the store. Tried to get on to FB (the second most important site) - slow, slow, slow.

Vila - can't comment. The last time we were there, we didn't even bother going into town.

Noumea - right near the Port Terminal (bigger ships dock in the industrial area and everyone is shuttled to this point), there is a coffee shop that has free internet if you purchase something. Many people were passing their password to others who were not purchasing. That was about 2 years ago so I don't know if they have tightened their system up. I am sure there are other places available too.

Diane

Hi, we are sailing with you on this cruise.

Suva - there are a number of "cheap" internet spots near the wharf which the cruise ship staff use. The only free spot we found was good old McDonalds, which is about 5-10 minutes walk. We were first in the store, hubby bought a drink while I logged on. Managed to get a quick email off to the family (we are here and safe) then other people starting pouring into the store. Tried to get on to FB (the second most important site) - slow, slow, slow.

Vila - can't comment. The last time we were there, we didn't even bother going into town.

Noumea - right near the Port Terminal (bigger ships dock in the industrial area and everyone is shuttled to this point), there is a coffee shop that has free internet if you purchase something. Many people were passing their password to others who were not purchasing. That was about 2 years ago so I don't know if they have tightened their system up. I am sure there are other places available too.

Diane

Thanks...