Mexican Silver

Alberta Quilter

Going to Cabo, Mazatlan and PV soon. I recently broke a silver chain and thought I would replace it while there. I know about looking for the stamp but can't remember what the numbers are that I should look for. Also are there any recommendations for reputable shops that one of you can make? Is there anything else that I should consider?

Thanks very much for your help!

The stamps on silver are usually 3 digits (i.e. .925) which represent the part (out of 1000) that is real silver. In theory, .925 would be Sterling quality...and you can even find some items with a higher percentage of silver. However, anyone can buy a stamp machine and put any number on any metal. So the stamp is only as good as the reputation of the merchant and the ability of the government to control fraud. In Mexico, just like anywhere, that means "let the buyer beware."

Hank

We use a family member who's allergic to most metals. If she doesn't react it's the good stuff.

We buy ours at a few stores in Ensenada

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Look for the "Mex" stamp, in addition to the .925 stamp. Somewhere on the itnernet I read that after our first trip to Mexico. I cannot find the reference now or I'd give you the link. Supposedly (from memory) the "Mex" stamp used on stuff that is not silver, can incur a huge fine. I will go look again, because because I remember parts of the article but not all. Note, though, that not all 925 Mexican silver has the "Mex" mark.

If it says "Alpaca" avoid it. Alpaca "silver" is not silver.

On our first trip to Mexico we bought our silver in a few shops on the malecon in PV, and we have been very happy with the items.

AlbertaQuilter, I spent a couple of hours obsessively looking for a link for what I recall about the page that discussed the "Mex" stamp . I'm sorry, I cannot find it. So feel free to disregard that part of my post, since I have no way of backing it up :) Big time apologies!