Safety in Puerta Vallarta and Cabo??

alabuk

Here's a link to a pretty reliable Canadian source

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/puerto-vallarta-restaurant-attack-1.3721814

Late at night, restaurant closed for a "private party", and from the article

I guess that is good news of a sort. It still isn't great for anyone who gets caught up in the "cross fire" associated with these types of events.

Why not? The evening activities start much later in Latin countries and 1 am is not an excessively late hour to be out at night. In most clubs, the music doesn't even start until 10pm. Heck, the traditional work day havig a mid-day siesta doesn't even end until 9:00 or 9:30.

Considering I live part-time in a Latin country, I'm well aware that the fun starts later in the evening. But, most gringos, especially those on cruises, don't party on that schedule.

Considering I live part-time in a Latin country, I'm well aware that the fun starts later in the evening. But, most gringos, especially those on cruises, don't party on that schedule.

Cruises for sure except on those rare overnight port visits. These, I would guess, are pretty rare for Mexico although they seem to be popular in European ports like Barcelona.

The "good news" is that the most recent "reported" violence in PV seems to be inter-gang violence.

On a personal note, a family friend owns a "Salon de los Eventos" / Banquet hall in Southeast Mexico. The parties often times don't even really start until after midnight. I would really hate to be their neighbor.

Edited by SelectSys

As mentioned this happened in Restaurant La Leche, during a private party at 1 a.m. No tourists or other uninvited guests were there. It looks drugs or gang related.

Was just in Paris last week for 4 days...ooops, there is terrorism there, should I have gone?

Am in London right now. OMG, there is crime and has been terrorism here. Guess I shouldn't have gone! (Don't tell the billions of people here...it is crazy crowded!)

Was in San Antonio, Texas 3 weeks ago...no crime there, of course. St Louis the first week of July...any crime there?

Before anybody says this is a cruise board, dare I say Achille Lauro and the ship attacked off the eastern Africa coast?

I would rather die enjoying life and traveling, then locked up in my house, fearing every little thing, and living like a hermit.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Was just in Paris last week for 4 days...ooops, there is terrorism there, should I have gone?

Am in London right now. OMG, there is crime and has been terrorism here. Guess I shouldn't have gone! (Don't tell the billions of people here...it is crazy crowded!)

Was in San Antonio, Texas 3 weeks ago...no crime there, of course. St Louis the first week of July...any crime there?

Before anybody says this is a cruise board, dare I say Achille Lauro and the ship attacked off the eastern Africa coast?

I would rather die enjoying life and traveling, then locked up in my house, fearing every little thing, and living like a hermit.

Yes you are so right. Enjoy your travels!

• 2 weeks later...
Gunmen Abduct People From Upscale Puerto Vallarta Restaurant August 15th 2016

Not good. Heading there again in a few months.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2016/08/15/gunmen-abduct-people-from-upscale-puerto-vallarta-restaurant/?cid=facebook_CBS13_CBS_Sacramento

If you now research the story you will see it was two drug cartels and it was also about 2am. The only place I recommend being at 2am is in your resort or your cruise ship. We've been to PV many times - not just on cruises. We love it and we feel very safe. Head downtown to the Malecon and old town area. So much history and the harbor is beautiful. Found lots of sea glass on the beach north of there. We've traveled on the local bus and used taxis. The people there need the tourism and will treat you great if you do the same. If you can take a night time excursion to Rhythms of the Night do it!! You won't regret it! ~Joyce

PS: Spent less time in Cabo but felt safe there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Do people feel equally as safe in Mazatlan?

Speaking personally - yes. Love Mazatlan. Escape the scrum of the cruise terminal and just follow the blue line into town. Visit the Teatro Ángela Peralta, the Basilica, get lost in the Mercado Municipal, grab lunch at a restaurant in the Plazuela Machado...

Shootings in the tourist area yesterday.

Please be safe when visiting or stay onboard.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3590846/3-slain-near-beach-troubled-Mexican-resort-Acapulco.html

Seriously? Acapulco is not Puerto Vallarta or Cabo! Also, your admonition is like saying, "Shooting in Chicago, 30 people shot over the weekend. Be careful when you go to San Diego. Stay on the ship."