Acapulco - should we stay onboard?

Joanandjoe

Our San Francisco to New York cruise begins in 10 days (9/3), and our cruise line, Regent, still has not cancelled its scheduled stop in Acapulco on 9/8. Given the bad publicity that Acapulco has gotten, and the prohibition on certain US govenment employees from visiting the city, we're frankly quite surprised that the stop is still scheduled.

We are signed up for a "historical, traditional, and pictureque Acapulco" shore excursion that hits all of the tourist hot spots. If the ship goes to Acapulco, should we take the tour or stay onboard?

Thanks

We were there back in 2012 just before the violence got worse and most of the cruise lines stopped going there. We walked to the fort and then to the church. We were the only gringos in the church area. Later we went out to dinner. We never felt unsafe.

When we walk around any city (in the US or internationally), we are aware of our surroundings.

We had a good dinner at El Zorrito. It's about 2 miles from the port on Miguel Aleman.

There has been violence in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas, but the cruise lines still have to problems going to those towns. Go and have a wonderful time.

Personally, I would trust the ship excursions. Relax and have fun. Just be aware of your surroundings. The cruise director will pass on any advisories. We've been to Acapulco twice..took a taxi one time to see the cliff divers. That was very cool. Take a camera if you go as it's pretty awesome and the cliffs and water are beautiful. Spent a good part of the day in that area and shopped at Taxco. Free margaritas and a ride back to the ship. I'm not sure how the advisories are at this time but if the ship isn't cancelling the port and the excursions are a go then I wouldn't cancel your ship excursion.

Once you disembark there's a secure port area where you can shop and relax. They have a bar area with t.v.'s usually with sports playing. My husband loves that little port area to just hang out off the ship. There's a nice park area near the Dock once you exit the secure area. Just be aware as you will most likely be approached especially by children asking for money. Try to remember not to wear jewelry. That was one mistake I made. I became a human magnet, not real smart of me. My husband still teases me about it. I gave one persistent little boy some candy that I had and a map of the ship. I know your not suppose to do that but I couldn't resist. He was so cute. He was so happy to get the candy but I think he was even more excited about the ship map.

Acapulco Bay is so beautiful at night. Don't forget to take pics..especially if you are there after dark. I have some beautiful pics I took from the ships upper deck at night. I spent a couple hours up on deck with my SLR camera taking different shots. I would love to go back. It's hot and very humid..like a sauna..in Acapulco. Great for the skin..Very tropical. Have a wonderful cruise!

• 2 weeks later...